iRacing = crack in a box

Old June 26th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Asgeir Nesoen

Default iRacing = crack in a box

As a casual simracer my problems are as follows:
1) I would like to spend 4(ish) hours pr week on sim racing
2) I would like to do as much quality racing as possible in my limited
simracing slot

I have a ton of simracing experience, respect fellow racers, have good
and consistent pace, love realism, but have limited time. I would guess
that there must be many thousands like me out there, so we represent a
substantial market group. And the same group of people, due to time
constraints, probably are at a point in life where they have more money
than time.

I have had one option, rFactor. The sim works great on my computer,
there are plenty of pick-up races to be found, I encounter great
sportsmanship and racing all the time, but I also encounter sabotage,
complete stupidity, total lack of ability and total lack of will to do
good. With this mix of ingredients comes the growing feeling of
"unfullfilledness", never to finish a race without having been taken out
thrice, etc, etc. I have nothing against rFactor, but I have a lot
against the wild diversity of users of it.

With iRacing I now have a new option. I can spend my simracing time in a
controlled environment, I can spend it with equally paced racers, but my
big question is: Does my limited simracing time slot allow me to
progress, rank higher, and generally feel that the time I put in is well
spent? I suspect that iRacing have come up with a market model much in
the mould of WoW, Everquest etc; i.e. trying to exploit the
addictiveness of a game, with a tendency to favour those ready to put in
3 hours + pr day. I am not talking about "favour" in terms of money, I
am talking about "favour" in terms of progress, schedules, season
lengths etc.

I know for sure that I won't fall into the "addictiveness" aspect, due
to lack of time, and I am highly uncertain about the "time well spent"
aspect.

I am sure iRacing will offer a splendid alternative to rFactor and
open-source racing, but I am not so sure it will fit every bill out
there, and I am kind of thinking that the optimum racingsim situation
would be if:
1) The sim was open for leagues, pick-up racers and official
rank/security rating events alike
2) Open standards for track and car modelling, and easy ways of
upgrading with tracks, cars etc
3) Possibility to set up public servers with a custom degree of racing
rule enforcement to the point where the idiots would be rejected and
shunned after that

If rFactor had efficient ways of enforcing racing rules, it would fit
*my* bill perfectly, and there would be less of a need to look elsewhere.

---A---

Old June 26th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

0-0-0-0-0 wrote:
> Thanks Larry
>
> I do see your point and I do understand that it can be daunting for non-savy
> PC users to manage the mods, tracks, etc.
>
> Personally I would have liked to see some sort of "standards" released with
> the base rFactor sim that laid out some kind of mandated format for all
> mods/tracks. It would have made things easier if "all" mods-tracks were to
> contain a standard install that everyone could do "eyes-closed" so to speak.
> It would have been great if there was ONE central mod-track depository
> (rfactorcentral.com does come very close though). I cannot disagree with
> you and these points.

Well, one is suprised how some people manage to start their browser.
Imagine, having to install the latest release of the mod they wanna drive!

l8er
ronny

Old June 26th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"Boofhead" > wrote in message
> Man, I hope your married because if your'e single life must be hell if you
> can't even get yourself organised with rFactor.
>
> Just grab the mods you want to use and regularly check rFactorcentral for
> updates.
>
> How complicated is that.

This post reminds me that the theory very rarely matches the real life
application particularly closely.

Old June 26th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

And it's suprising how someone can so entirely miss the point.

Old June 26th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> If rFactor had efficient ways of enforcing racing rules, it would fit
> *my* bill perfectly, and there would be less of a need to look elsewhere.

Who knows what ISI has planned for the future? They may surprise us.
I'm sure they been pouring over iRacing since the early alpha days.
Their Racecast was a bust and didn't even make a stab at including a
ratings overlay. And, yes, IR claims state of the art Force Feedback,
physics and netcode. But it's the newest in a rapidly evolving
environment. You expect the bar to be raised. GTR2 was prettier than
rFactor. N2K3 had better physics than N4, etc. Yawn....

I suspect the handful of cars and tracks in iRacing are gonna get old
*really* fast. But I could be totally wrong. Haha.
Old June 26th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Larry wrote:
> And it's suprising how someone can so entirely miss the point.

Well, you don't even have a point, right? Just whining...

Old June 27th 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

Come on, admit it, the rFactor scene is a mess as far as just doing pick up
races goes. The driving standard is appallingly low. I had a race in the
Renault Megane Trophy and just got continuously punted off because people
knew they could get away with hitting you as you turn into the corner.

"Ronald Stoehr" > wrote in message
> Larry wrote:
>> And it's suprising how someone can so entirely miss the point.

> Well, you don't even have a point, right? Just whining...
>

>> "Ronald Stoehr" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Well, one is suprised how some people manage to start their browser.
>>> Imagine, having to install the latest release of the mod they wanna
>>> drive!
>>>
>>> l8er
>>> ronny

Old June 27th 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Asgeir Nesoen" > wrote in message
> As a casual simracer my problems are as follows:
> 1) I would like to spend 4(ish) hours pr week on sim racing
> 2) I would like to do as much quality racing as possible in my limited
> simracing slot
>
> I have a ton of simracing experience, respect fellow racers, have good and
> consistent pace, love realism, but have limited time. I would guess that
> there must be many thousands like me out there, so we represent a
> substantial market group. And the same group of people, due to time
> constraints, probably are at a point in life where they have more money
> than time.
>
> I have had one option, rFactor. The sim works great on my computer, there
> are plenty of pick-up races to be found, I encounter great sportsmanship
> and racing all the time, but I also encounter sabotage, complete
> stupidity, total lack of ability and total lack of will to do good. With
> this mix of ingredients comes the growing feeling of "unfullfilledness",
> never to finish a race without having been taken out thrice, etc, etc. I
> have nothing against rFactor, but I have a lot against the wild diversity
> of users of it.

That paragraph brilliantly describes where rFactor is at the moment.

Old June 27th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

> wrote in message
>> If rFactor had efficient ways of enforcing racing rules, it would fit
>> *my* bill perfectly, and there would be less of a need to look elsewhere.

> Who knows what ISI has planned for the future? They may surprise us.
> I'm sure they been pouring over iRacing since the early alpha days.
> Their Racecast was a bust and didn't even make a stab at including a
> ratings overlay. And, yes, IR claims state of the art Force Feedback,
> physics and netcode. But it's the newest in a rapidly evolving
> environment. You expect the bar to be raised. GTR2 was prettier than
> rFactor. N2K3 had better physics than N4, etc. Yawn....
>
> I suspect the handful of cars and tracks in iRacing are gonna get old
> *really* fast. But I could be totally wrong. Haha.

The most popular rFactor mod as far as online pick-up races go, is the the
Renault Megane. And those severs switch through a small amount of the oldest
tracks.

The key to iR is enforcement of driving standards. If people can't grasp
that then they are probably part of the problem in rFactor.

Old June 27th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

David Fisher's Left Testicle wrote:
> Come on, admit it, the rFactor scene is a mess as far as just doing pick
> up races goes. The driving standard is appallingly low. I had a race in
> the Renault Megane Trophy and just got continuously punted off because
> people knew they could get away with hitting you as you turn into the
> corner.

Well, that's about as surprising as "the world is not flat"...

Go to any server of any online game that is moddable (FPS, flight or
racing sim) -> big chance you don't have the right level, area or track.
It's just the silly bashing of rF for being what it is. If you don't like
it, get LfS or iRacing.

BTW, who wants to race total strangers in a pick up race anyway? There's only
a 1% chance to have a race without a crash kiddie anyway.

l8er
ronny