Lets talk about radar/laser detectors

Old May 6th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default Lets talk about radar/laser detectors

WindsorFox wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> WindsorFox wrote:

>>> And I bet the first time that state law were to be challenged by
>>> the Federal law that says states and local municipalities shall not
>>> interfere with the right of a lawful citizen to erect antennas to
>>> receive the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the people; havoc would
>>> be wreaked!

>> It has been this way for years and years here, as in DC. They
>> recently overturned the gun ban in DC so maybe the detector ban is
>> next. I'm not holding my breath through.

> Well there is an federal law that ham operators can use if
> neighborhood covenants prevent you from putting up an antenna. It also
> covers TV and satellite antennas as well, it *might* be able to be used
> on the detector law as well.

I don't want to speed bad enough to spend a small fortune on attorney's
fees to bring it to court.
Old May 6th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Michael Johnson wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> Michael Johnson wrote:

>>> It has been this way for years and years here, as in DC. They
>>> recently overturned the gun ban in DC so maybe the detector ban is
>>> next. I'm not holding my breath through.

>> Well there is an federal law that ham operators can use if
>> neighborhood covenants prevent you from putting up an antenna. It also
>> covers TV and satellite antennas as well, it *might* be able to be
>> used on the detector law as well.

> I don't want to speed bad enough to spend a small fortune on attorney's
> fees to bring it to court.

From what I've read on the subject, if you put up an antenna and
your local civic pres tells you to remove it, you give him/the volunteer
lawyer a copy of the law and they drop it. LOL

--
"The problem is almost certainly a big spider's nest. I
can't wash my hair in the sink anymore, because of the
Old May 6th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

WindsorFox wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> WindsorFox wrote:

>>> Well there is an federal law that ham operators can use if
>>> neighborhood covenants prevent you from putting up an antenna. It
>>> also covers TV and satellite antennas as well, it *might* be able to
>>> be used on the detector law as well.

>> I don't want to speed bad enough to spend a small fortune on
>> attorney's fees to bring it to court.

> From what I've read on the subject, if you put up an antenna and your
> local civic pres tells you to remove it, you give him/the volunteer
> lawyer a copy of the law and they drop it. LOL

....and if they don't? The tab starts running and you may not be able to
stop it.
Old May 7th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Sat, 05 May 2007 13:10:08 -0500, WindsorFox
> wrote:

>Michael Johnson wrote:
>> WindsorFox wrote:

>>> I could probably do without one as well, but I like having it in
>>> case and besides, I like gadgets.

>> It's a moot point for me, here in Virginia. Radar detectors are
>> illegal.

> And I bet the first time that state law were to be challenged by the
>Federal law that says states and local municipalities shall not
>interfere with the right of a lawful citizen to erect antennas to
>receive the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the people; havoc would be
>wreaked!

It's been challenged in the past.

Essentially it comes down to, yes, it's legal to have antenna to
receive the airwaves, but it is not legal to use a device to avoid
compliance with the law. Much in the same way there is a difference
between avoiding and evading the payment of taxes. Or that it is legal
to sell or buy a switchblade (in many jurisdictions) but not legal to
carry or use one.... unless you happen to have only one arm, which, in
many jurisdictions is an exception to the law.

So, while it may be legal to own a detector, it may not be legal to
use one. And simply having one displayed, under the law, shows both
the intent and the ability to use one to avoid compliance with the
law. Avoidance of compliance IS a crime.
Old May 7th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Sat, 05 May 2007 22:09:27 -0500, WindsorFox
> wrote:

>Michael Johnson wrote:
>> WindsorFox wrote:

>>> And I bet the first time that state law were to be challenged by the
>>> Federal law that says states and local municipalities shall not
>>> interfere with the right of a lawful citizen to erect antennas to
>>> receive the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the people; havoc would
>>> be wreaked!

>> It has been this way for years and years here, as in DC. They recently
>> overturned the gun ban in DC so maybe the detector ban is next. I'm not
>> holding my breath through.

> Well there is an federal law that ham operators can use if
>neighborhood covenants prevent you from putting up an antenna. It also
>covers TV and satellite antennas as well, it *might* be able to be used
>on the detector law as well.

The HAM law is good until, the tower height exceeds local ordinance
restrictions, or the signals interfer with the neighbors reception.

Likely, it would not work re detectors. I have seen it work with
regard to cable signals. You can't tap into a cable system to steal
the programming, however, you can build an antenna out of a coffee can
and some Radio Shack parts which will pick up the eminations which
pass from the cable to the airwaves.
Old May 8th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Spike wrote:

> So, while it may be legal to own a detector, it may not be legal to
> use one. And simply having one displayed, under the law, shows both
> the intent and the ability to use one to avoid compliance with the
> law. Avoidance of compliance IS a crime.

Yeah I can see that.

--
"The problem is almost certainly a big spider's nest. I
can't wash my hair in the sink anymore, because of the
paralyzing fear that a mutated, poisonous sink overflow
spider may leap from the depths of the overflow and
into my upturned nose."
- Flaming Poultice

Any FAQ about radar detectors ? Sudhir Driving 5 August 1st 06 02:08 PM
FS: 2 Laser SWS Radar Detectors w/mounting brackets - $50 Cartrivision1 Driving 0 July 9th 06 07:46 PM
Are Radar Detectors Useless? Bacon BMW 47 June 5th 06 05:28 PM
Radar Detectors Halady Corvette 8 January 24th 05 12:27 AM
Radar Detectors Max General 1 September 17th 04 09:10 PM