shatter shield question

Old May 24th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

Default shatter shield question

I just got started in autocross and I'll also be logging some track
time soon. A neighbor who used to drive a MG asked if I planned to
install a shatter shield in my car. I've googled this subject and
don't see any mentioned of a shatter shield in a Miata. Is this
something that only concerns older cars?

Old May 24th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Healeyman

>>>Is this something that only concerns older cars?

Nope. ANY car with a high revving engine.

At high RPMs, the clutch disk and even the pressure plate can come apart and
sling shrapnel all over the place. Many a driver has had his legs seriously
injured or even amputated by an exploding clutch.

It happens, but much less with automatic transmissions.

A scatter shield is typically a wide steel plate or band that encircles the
bell housing and the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. If the clutch
comes apart, the scatter shield should contain most of the high velocity
fragments.

In my opinion, it is more important than a roll bar. I wouldn't race
without one.

Tim

oups.com...

Old May 24th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Healeyman" > wrote:

>Nope. ANY car with a high revving engine.
>
>At high RPMs, the clutch disk and even the pressure plate can come apart and
>sling shrapnel all over the place. Many a driver has had his legs seriously
>injured or even amputated by an exploding clutch.

Have there been cases with Miatas?

Leon

>It happens, but much less with automatic transmissions.
>
>A scatter shield is typically a wide steel plate or band that encircles the
>bell housing and the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. If the clutch
>comes apart, the scatter shield should contain most of the high velocity
>fragments.
>
>In my opinion, it is more important than a roll bar. I wouldn't race
>without one.
>
>Tim

roups.com...

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old May 24th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article .com>,
"G. Mack" > wrote:

> I just got started in autocross and I'll also be logging some track
> time soon. A neighbor who used to drive a MG asked if I planned to
> install a shatter shield in my car. I've googled this subject and
> don't see any mentioned of a shatter shield in a Miata. Is this
> something that only concerns older cars?

No, it only concerns engines operated at redlines significantly higher
than stock. I've never heard of any Miata blowing its clutch, at any rpm.
Old May 24th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article .com>,
> "G. Mack" > wrote:
>
>> I just got started in autocross and I'll also be logging some track
>> time soon. A neighbor who used to drive a MG asked if I planned to
>> install a shatter shield in my car. I've googled this subject and
>> don't see any mentioned of a shatter shield in a Miata. Is this
>> something that only concerns older cars?

>No, it only concerns engines operated at redlines significantly higher
>than stock. I've never heard of any Miata blowing its clutch, at any rpm.

Apparently, it is something aftermarket clutches might do:
http://www.turboclutch.com/sport_mazda.html

Leon
Old May 24th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

I don't know of anyone in our SCCA area that uses a scatter shield on an
autocross stock class Miata. I believe that it's more of a requirement for
things like spec class racing and drag.

Old May 24th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chuck" > wrote:

> I don't know of anyone in our SCCA area that uses a scatter shield
> on an autocross stock class Miata. I believe that it's more of a
> requirement for things like spec class racing and drag.

In drag racing, scatter shields are routinely used on automatics, the
pressure in a torque converter can cause it to explode.

Old May 24th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Apparently, it is something aftermarket clutches might do:
> http://www.turboclutch.com/sport_mazda.html
>
> Leon

That looks like a "CYA" disclaimer. The very remote possibility is
there, but I think that we would of heard of at least one miata driver
being injured by this over the last 17 years, and at least me and Lanny
haven't, even when they are running extremely high horsepower.

The fact that Flying Miata does not offer a scatter shield, even with
their highest turbo boost application, is also highly telling, as they
know what they are doing.

The weak link seems to be the transmission and the rear end. The current
miata of the month ripped the rear end out and snapped both the power
plant frame and the entire differential case before the clutch and
pressure plate became an issue.

Pat - yes, still in Texas, I lost the bet.....
Old May 24th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

pws wrote:

> The fact that Flying Miata does not offer a scatter shield,

Errr, make that a shatter shield.

Does anybody make one for the miata? I have never seen one offered and I
am guessing that the people that take the miata to insane horsepower
levels for drag racing make a custom one.

Pat
Old May 28th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

I guess I'll run without one until I at least hear about someone else
installing one on a Miata. Thanks for all the replies.

Heat shield RPJr VW water cooled 0 September 2nd 06 08:38 PM
How do I remove the splash shield cover me Chrysler 0 January 7th 06 06:37 PM
Heat Shield 98 Intrepid Keith Phillips Chrysler 0 October 25th 05 06:14 PM
Is under car shield on new beetle necessary? [email protected] VW water cooled 9 July 19th 05 12:23 AM
Replacing door water shield? Frank Townsend Jeep 1 June 1st 05 02:16 AM