[Req info] macpherson strut/ shockers

Old July 28th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
blah

Default [Req info] macpherson strut/ shockers

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled LMWGB > wrote:
> I intend to replace the REAR shockers (dampers) on my 1990 Passat 2.0L 16v
> (RHD UK) estate. I have been gathering info from a range of sources so I can
> minimise any problems I may encounter.

> I'd appreciate anyone's advice or experience on doing this job.

Assuming its the same as an A1-3 its about as easy as you can get.
There's one nut at the top, and one bolt at the bottom, and its out. On
the Jetta, its a real pita to get at the nut because of the shelf above it,
being a wagon, you probably don't have the shelf so it should be easy. You
probably want to support the axle on a hydraulic jack or something as it
will be very difficult to get the shock back in without it. Once its out
of the car, its just held together by a single nut. I'm pretty sure
you do *NOT* need a spring compressor for rear shocks, only the front struts.
Only real potential complication is rust, or having to replace parts you
didn't anticipate (there are a lot of little parts under the nut at the
top and within the shock assembly.

If you do have something blocking access to the top nut, the "correct"
solution is a very deep offset 17mm (I think its 17) box-end wrench (I'm
pretty sure Hazet makes one, but it'll cost you). The "cheap" solution
is a 17mm socket and visegrips which I've used successfully.