e30 steering rack boot

Old September 16th 05, 07:15 AM

Default e30 steering rack boot

I've torn one of my steering rack boots and am looking for ways to
replace the boot. What is the easiest way? Can it be done without
realigning the front wheels? (The tie rods were replaced a couple of
years ago so I just want to do both boots.)
Thank you- David
88 325is

Old September 16th 05, 07:41 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> I've torn one of my steering rack boots and am looking for ways to
> replace the boot. What is the easiest way? Can it be done without
> realigning the front wheels? (The tie rods were replaced a couple of
> years ago so I just want to do both boots.)

Mark both the track rod and track rod end with Tippex, etc in a line.
Slacken the nut. Undo the track rod end counting the number of turns.
Remove lock nut and fit new boot. Reassemble carefully.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 17th 05, 06:23 AM

Dave- Thank you for responding. Will the track rod rotate freely once
the nut is slackened or do you have to remove the tie rod so it will
turn. I've not heard of Tippex (a UK product? We might use White Out)
but I know what you're saying which is an excellent idea.
David

Old September 17th 05, 09:07 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> Dave- Thank you for responding. Will the track rod rotate freely once
> the nut is slackened or do you have to remove the tie rod so it will
> turn.

It will, but it might be difficult to count the turns this way. I'd
disconnect the track rod end from the steering arm - counting that while
turning it is easier. You'll need a puller for this, but they're not
expensive.

> I've not heard of Tippex (a UK product? We might use White Out)
> but I know what you're saying which is an excellent idea.

That's probably the same thing. Originally for correcting typing mistakes?

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Old September 17th 05, 03:44 PM

Yes, White Out and Tippex do the same thing. It's good for them we've
found other purposes because there are much better products nowadays.
I've ordered my parts and feel confident in going after this.
Thank you- David

Old September 17th 05, 05:16 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com>,
> wrote:
> Yes, White Out and Tippex do the same thing. It's good for them we've
> found other purposes because there are much better products nowadays.

But not to sniff. ;-)

> I've ordered my parts and feel confident in going after this.

Best of luck.

> Thank you- David

You're welcome. But do take a *lot* of care to count properly on and off
for it to work. I do use this method, but also have the tracking checked
afterwards. Tyres are expensive.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *