[Req info] macpherson strut/ shockers

Old July 27th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled
Doki

Default [Req info] macpherson strut/ shockers

"LMWGB" > wrote in message
>I intend to replace the REAR shockers (dampers) on my 1990 Passat 2.0L 16v
> (RHD UK) estate. I have been gathering info from a range of sources so I
> can
> minimise any problems I may encounter.
>
> I'd appreciate anyone's advice or experience on doing this job.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.

It's the same as MK2 Golf mainly AFAIK. Get a Haynes. It'll only set you
back a tenner tops on the bay.

Old July 28th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled
Doki

"LMWGB" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:01:47 +0100, Doki scribbled by his own authority...
> (in article >):
>

>> "LMWGB" > wrote in message
>>> I intend to replace the REAR shockers (dampers) on my 1990 Passat 2.0L
>>> 16v
>>> (RHD UK) estate. I have been gathering info from a range of sources so I
>>> can
>>> minimise any problems I may encounter.
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate anyone's advice or experience on doing this job.
>>>
>>> Thanks in anticipation.

>> It's the same as MK2 Golf mainly AFAIK. Get a Haynes. It'll only set you
>> back a tenner tops on the bay.
>>

> Thanks for the reply. I have a Haynes manual of which I am fairly
> familiar.
> What I am looking for are problems/ solutions people have encountered as
> not
> everything goes according to Haynes.

As I understand it, the back end is very simple to swap. Much quicker than
the front end. You just need a spring compressor.

Old July 28th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.auto.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw,uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled
none2u

Nothing out of ordinary. nuts and bolts. , air tools are nice. sometimes
when you put the compressor on , then you try to put the strut in, you find
they are in the wrong spot and hit the car. you have to reposition them.
sometimes you can just get the rear springs on without the compressor . but
not very often. put some oil on the compressor threads. I had minor trouble
with Monroe struts on the back of an A2 once, getting the snubbers and dust
shields on, but it was the struts not the car. good luck