Idiot Insurance Agent

Old September 16th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J[_3_]

Default Idiot Insurance Agent

The thread on Chinese parts reminds me of my former Allstate insurance
agent. When I asked why his rates were so high for my Bug he said,
"Parts are expensive". I told him I could get a fender for under $50 and
he answered, "Well that would be a part made overseas and we aren't
allowed to use foreign parts. Allstate was sued for that."

I was flabbergasted. Allstate has none of my business now.
Old September 17th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"John J" > wrote in message
m...
> The thread on Chinese parts reminds me of my former Allstate insurance
> agent. When I asked why his rates were so high for my Bug he said, "Parts
> are expensive". I told him I could get a fender for under $50 and he
> answered, "Well that would be a part made overseas and we aren't allowed
> to use foreign parts. Allstate was sued for that."
>
> I was flabbergasted. Allstate has none of my business now.

LOL.... can't use foreign parts on a foreign car. Anyway, Allstate had been
sued for not using OE parts on new cars.....

Old September 17th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LLBrown

Sounds like a basic brain disconnect!

m...

Old September 18th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
WindsorFox[_5_]

LLBrown wrote:

> "John J" > wrote in message
> m...
>> The thread on Chinese parts reminds me of my former Allstate insurance
>> agent. When I asked why his rates were so high for my Bug he said, "Parts
>> are expensive". I told him I could get a fender for under $50 and he
>> answered, "Well that would be a part made overseas and we aren't allowed
>> to use foreign parts. Allstate was sued for that."
>>
>> I was flabbergasted. Allstate has none of my business now.

Interesting, when I got plowed by some dumb broad talking on a cell
phone a few years back State Farm demanded that I at LEAST try an
after-crash fender. It just ended up costing them more money because the
new part arrived defective and I had the rental they paid for an extra 4
days.

--

"Don't argue what you don't understand" - Johnny Rebel

Old September 21st 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Question Quigley[_2_]

I haven't figured out yet why there are so many commercials for auto
unsurance and all claiming they can save you 15%. But what I know for sure
is that if you bother to shop around, you can save a bundle, even with your
current insurer. Just make sure you get adequate coverage and not take a
lower price for lower coverage. Same goes for homeowners insurance.

m...

Old October 23rd 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rev Turd Fredericks

Question Quigley wrote:
> I haven't figured out yet why there are so many commercials for auto
> unsurance and all claiming they can save you 15%. But what I know for sure
> is that if you bother to shop around, you can save a bundle, even with your
> current insurer. Just make sure you get adequate coverage and not take a
> lower price for lower coverage. Same goes for homeowners insurance.

That's certainly affirmative. Back in the 90's my agent talked me into
getting replacement value home insurance. I balked at first because it
cost a mere $150 extra a year (I was poorer then), but finally relented
and sure enough, I got robbed, the thieves stole *everything* and I got
all new stuff, better than the stuff that was stolen (because of
improvements in electronics etc.). From then on, everything I own is
covered for replacement value; including my bug. Just a quick hint for
anyone that doesn't know, take lots of pictures of your bug and keep all
your documentation (repairs, upgrades etc.) and let your agent know if
you make improvements. Your rates may go up a bit but it's well worth
it. Replacement value for my bug costs about $70 a year extra, but
straight insurance would net me basically scrap value if it was written
off. That extra $70 a year will guarantee I get $7K if my bug gets
stolen or written off.

Old October 25th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Whats become apparent in Australia is that it is worth getting a new "quote"
from your existing insurer without telling them you are an existing
customer. Rates to get new customers are cheaper than renewals!. Used car
dealers, insurance dealers, The white mans burden.
John