Source for hood vent cover

Old October 8th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
vgonman

Default Source for hood vent cover

Hello,

I hope to find a source for an old accessory, or perhaps someone can
tell me how they solved this issue. My hood seals great, but thru a
series of tests i have determined that the drafts in the cabin of my
car are from air lieaking thru the hood vent and the air box below
it. That area does not seal well, and more air is forced into that
area then that plastic box can seal.

I thought there once was a little cover you could put on the exterior
of your car. My vehicle is fully restored, so duct tape is out of the
question!

Thanks.
Old October 8th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"vgonman" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I hope to find a source for an old accessory, or perhaps someone can
> tell me how they solved this issue. My hood seals great, but thru a
> series of tests i have determined that the drafts in the cabin of my
> car are from air lieaking thru the hood vent and the air box below
> it. That area does not seal well, and more air is forced into that
> area then that plastic box can seal.
>
> I thought there once was a little cover you could put on the exterior
> of your car. My vehicle is fully restored, so duct tape is out of the
> question!
>
> Thanks.

did you replace the seal that sits atop the freshair box to seal to the
hood?

Old October 9th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
vgonman

On Oct 8, 1:10*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "vgonman" > wrote in message

> > Hello,

> > I hope to find a source for an old accessory, or perhaps someone can
> > tell me how they solved this issue. *My hood seals great, but thru a
> > series of tests i have determined that the drafts in the cabin of my
> > car are from air lieaking thru the hood vent and the air box below
> > it. *That area does not seal well, and more air is forced into that
> > area then that plastic box can seal.

> > I thought there once was a little cover you could put on the exterior
> > of your car. *My vehicle is fully restored, so duct tape is out of the
> > question!

> > Thanks.

> did you replace the seal that sits atop the freshair box to seal to the
> hood?

Yes, it has been replaced. Here is how i tested, though...I removed
the glovebox and radio, and thus could actually feel where the air
came in. I wish i could have had the experience of driving a brand
new Type 1 in the day to see how there were no drafts---maybe there
were. I am just trying to get a heads up on winterizing the car. The
hood is adjusted correctly, i just seems that once the air goes into
the airbox, it has to go somewhere.....even if the box flaps are
closed---it still leaks out of there for it is just not able to seal
tightly.
Old October 9th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

vgonman wrote:
> On Oct 8, 1:10 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>> "vgonman" > wrote in message

>>> Hello,
>>> I hope to find a source for an old accessory, or perhaps someone can
>>> tell me how they solved this issue. My hood seals great, but thru a
>>> series of tests i have determined that the drafts in the cabin of my
>>> car are from air lieaking thru the hood vent and the air box below
>>> it. That area does not seal well, and more air is forced into that
>>> area then that plastic box can seal.
>>> I thought there once was a little cover you could put on the exterior
>>> of your car. My vehicle is fully restored, so duct tape is out of the
>>> question!
>>> Thanks.

>> did you replace the seal that sits atop the freshair box to seal to the
>> hood?

> Yes, it has been replaced. Here is how i tested, though...I removed
> the glovebox and radio, and thus could actually feel where the air
> came in. I wish i could have had the experience of driving a brand
> new Type 1 in the day to see how there were no drafts---maybe there
> were. I am just trying to get a heads up on winterizing the car. The
> hood is adjusted correctly, i just seems that once the air goes into
> the airbox, it has to go somewhere.....even if the box flaps are
> closed---it still leaks out of there for it is just not able to seal
> tightly.

Bet you the whole hood is what leaks air into the luggage compartment.

Jan
Old October 9th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J[_3_]

I ended up placing a sheets of insulation on the bottom of the area and
then wrapping it up the back of the instrument area

Simple and expedient

Old October 11th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
george taylor

If I remember, inside there are 2 flapper (one on each side) and they should
have some foam on them, or at least that is what was on mine. I don't think
that it was something that someone did after the fact, my car only has 68k
on it. If it is coming out around the gasket at the top try adjusting it by
loosening the screws and pushing it up as far as it will go and retighten
them.

Old October 13th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
vgonman

On Oct 11, 8:31*am, "george taylor" >
wrote:
> If I remember, inside there are 2 flapper (one on each side) and they should
> have some foam on them, or at least that is what was on mine. I don't think
> that it was something that someone did after the fact, my car only has 68k
> on it. If it is coming out around the gasket at the top try adjusting it by
> loosening the screws and pushing it up *as far as it will go and retighten
> them."vgonman" > wrote in message

> On Oct 8, 1:10 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>

> > "vgonman" > wrote in message

> > > Hello,

> > > I hope to find a source for an old accessory, or perhaps someone can
> > > tell me how they solved this issue. My hood seals great, but thru a
> > > series of tests i have determined that the drafts in the cabin of my
> > > car are from air lieaking thru the hood vent and the air box below
> > > it. That area does not seal well, and more air is forced into that
> > > area then that plastic box can seal.

> > > I thought there once was a little cover you could put on the exterior
> > > of your car. My vehicle is fully restored, so duct tape is out of the
> > > question!

> > > Thanks.

> > did you replace the seal that sits atop the freshair box to seal to the
> > hood?

> Yes, it has been replaced. * Here is how i tested, though...I removed
> the glovebox and radio, and thus could actually feel where the air
> came in. * I wish i could have had the experience of driving a brand
> new Type 1 in the day to see how there were no drafts---maybe there
> were. *I am just trying to get a heads up on winterizing the car. The
> hood is adjusted correctly, i just seems that once the air goes into
> the airbox, it has to go somewhere.....even if the box flaps are
> closed---it still leaks out of there for it is just not able to seal
> tightly.- Hide quoted text -

I will give it a serious look again today. Thansk for the ideas.
Old October 13th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Oct 13, 7:20�am, vgonman > wrote:
> On Oct 11, 8:31�am, "george taylor" >
> wrote:
>

> > If I remember, inside there are 2 flapper (one on each side) and they should
> > have some foam on them, or at least that is what was on mine. I don't think
> > that it was something that someone did after the fact, my car only has 68k
> > on it. If it is coming out around the gasket at the top try adjusting it by
> > loosening the screws and pushing it up �as far as it will go and retighten
> > them."vgonman" > wrote in message

> > > did you replace the seal that sits atop the freshair box to seal to the
> > > hood?

> > Yes, it has been replaced. � Here is how i tested, though...I removed
> > the glovebox and radio, and thus could actually feel where the air
> > came in. � I wish i could have had the experience of driving a brand
> > new Type 1 in the day to see how there were no drafts---maybe there
> > were. �I am just trying to get a heads up on winterizing the car. The
> > hood is adjusted correctly, i just seems that once the air goes into
> > the airbox, it has to go somewhere.....even if the box flaps are
> > closed---it still leaks out of there for it is just not able to seal
> > tightly.- Hide quoted text -

> I will give it a serious look again today. Thansk for the ideas.- Hide quoted text -

I have one of those hood scoops e-mail me and we can work out
details
Old October 14th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Oct 13, 4:42 am, " > wrote:
> On Oct 13, 7:20 am, vgonman > wrote:
>

> > On Oct 11, 8:31 am, "george taylor" >
> > wrote:

> > > If I remember, inside there are 2 flapper (one on each side) and they should
> > > have some foam on them, or at least that is what was on mine. I don't think
> > > that it was something that someone did after the fact, my car only has 68k
> > > on it. If it is coming out around the gasket at the top try adjusting it by
> > > loosening the screws and pushing it up as far as it will go and retighten
> > > them."vgonman" > wrote in message

> > > Yes, it has been replaced. Here is how i tested, though...I removed
> > > the glovebox and radio, and thus could actually feel where the air
> > > came in. I wish i could have had the experience of driving a brand
> > > new Type 1 in the day to see how there were no drafts---maybe there
> > > were. I am just trying to get a heads up on winterizing the car. The
> > > hood is adjusted correctly, i just seems that once the air goes into
> > > the airbox, it has to go somewhere.....even if the box flaps are
> > > closed---it still leaks out of there for it is just not able to seal
> > > tightly.- Hide quoted text -

> > I will give it a serious look again today. Thansk for the ideas.- Hide quoted text -

> I have one of those hood scoops e-mail me and we can work out
> details

To the original poster, deal with Mario Gavazzi at your own risk.

www.mariogavazzivintagewerks.com