Transmisison mounts... Whats it going to take?

Old October 26th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
applefr3ak

Default Transmisison mounts... Whats it going to take?

Hey guys, Long time lurker, normally can figure things out myself..
and im sure i can figure this out just fine, but I need to replace all
my transmission mounts. What do i have to do? Can this be done without
pulling the entire Transmission?? (not sure about the mount on the
nose cone although i know its bad) Also, What do you reccomend? Stock
rubber mounts or the Urethane ones?? Instructions on how to change the
mounts would be helpful.. I do hate taking the engine out of the car
though.. i think my type 3 with fuel injeciton was easier to take out.
my t4 powered bus was a little tricky too but at least they were
fairly flat.. and i didnt have to raise the vehicle so much.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
71 Superbeetle.
Old October 26th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

applefr3ak wrote:
> Hey guys, Long time lurker, normally can figure things out myself..
> and im sure i can figure this out just fine, but I need to replace all
> my transmission mounts. What do i have to do? Can this be done without
> pulling the entire Transmission?? (not sure about the mount on the
> nose cone although i know its bad) Also, What do you reccomend? Stock
> rubber mounts or the Urethane ones?? Instructions on how to change the
> mounts would be helpful.. I do hate taking the engine out of the car
> though.. i think my type 3 with fuel injeciton was easier to take out.
> my t4 powered bus was a little tricky too but at least they were
> fairly flat.. and i didnt have to raise the vehicle so much.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jason
> 71 Superbeetle.

See :
http://www.vw-resource.com/transaxle.html
for pics of the rear mount removal.

You may be able to pull the box back far enough to get the front mount;
if not, the CV joints come off quick enough.

Jan has a neat page on engine removal tips, if you've forgotten how <g>:
http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/engineremoval.html

This is a good time to replace the starter bush and T.O. bearing too.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old October 28th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> my transmission mounts. What do i have to do? Can this be done without

Step 1 - Remove the engine. Yeah, I know, it sucks

> pulling the entire Transmission?? (not sure about the mount on the

Yes you can do the job without pulling the entire transaxle assembly
out of the car...but keep reading.....

> nose cone although i know its bad) Also, What do you reccomend? Stock
> rubber mounts or the Urethane ones?? Instructions on how to change the

I personally like the rubber mounts as they tend to fit better and do
not transmit as much noise into the vehicle. See www.bughaus.com, they
have the nice rubber mounts in stock, cheep too.

Once the engine is out of the way you can remove the two main frame
horn bolts from the rear of the car. That will loosen up the carrier
for the rear transaxle mounts. Changing the rear mounts at this point
is a piece of cake, you can use a block of wood and a jack or jack
stand to support the transaxle while you do the rear mounts. The front
mount, to change it you'll probably have to disconnect the shifter(I
did...1974 was a bit different on the nosecone than 71 however..) and
pull the whole thing back far enough to slip the front mount out and
put the new one in place. It is a bit of a squeeze, at least it was
for me. But DO IT now because changing that mount with the engine in
the car is a royal pain in the ass. I found that out the hard way,
change it with the engine out while the opportunity presents itself.

Check your crankshaft endplay while the engine is on the ground and
fix if needed, and if you end up pulling the flywheel off to re-set
that you should take a hard look at the clutch since you're there..if
its even slightly marginal, change it. It beats pulling the engine a
2nd time.......

Good luck with it.

Chris

Old October 28th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
applefr3ak

Thanks Jim, That helps and its good to know i dont have to take the
tranny completely out, and i had never heard of taking the engine out
sideways Thats kind of interesting and i may try it.. and i have never
used a piece of wood to slide on thats a good idea too, but then again
all my other engines were flat and not so tall to get out.

Jason

On Oct 26, 10:22*am, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> applefr3ak wrote:
> > Hey guys, Long time lurker, normally can figure things out myself..
> > and im sure i can figure this out just fine, but I need to replace all
> > my transmission mounts. What do i have to do? Can this be done without
> > pulling the entire Transmission?? (not sure about the mount on the
> > nose cone although i know its bad) Also, What do you reccomend? Stock
> > rubber mounts or the Urethane ones?? Instructions on how to change the
> > mounts would be helpful.. I do hate taking the engine out of the car
> > though.. i think my type 3 with fuel injeciton was easier to take out.
> > my t4 powered bus was a little tricky too but at least they were
> > fairly flat.. and i didnt have to raise the vehicle so much.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > * * * * * * * *Jason
> > * * * * * * * *71 Superbeetle.

> See :http://www.vw-resource.com/transaxle.html
> for pics of the rear mount removal.
>
> You may be able to pull the box back far enough to get the front mount;
> if not, the CV joints come off quick enough.
>
> Jan has a neat page on engine removal tips, if you've forgotten how <g>:http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/engineremoval.html
>
> This is a good time to replace the starter bush and T.O. bearing too.
>
> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

bad transmisison - 2500 dollars [email protected][_2_] Technology 4 October 5th 07 03:33 PM
Engine mounts clifto Technology 1 April 3rd 06 11:22 PM
motor mounts Gerry Pierce Ford Mustang 1 January 28th 06 07:54 AM
K-frame mounts Cal Jeep 2 July 6th 05 02:56 AM
FA: Berg Mounts UnR00ster VW air cooled 0 November 14th 04 07:17 PM