JD Powers Survey

Old June 29th 05, 06:22 PM
C. E. White

Default JD Powers Survey

Lexus keeps J.D. Power dependability crown
Porsche, Hyundai improve
By Gail Kachadourian
Automotive News / June 29, 2005

Nameplate Ranking

Problems per 100 Vehicles
Lexus139
Porsche149
Lincoln151
Buick163
Cadillac175
Infiniti178
Toyota194
Mercury195
Honda201
Acura203
BMW225
Ford231
Chevrolet232
Chrysler235
Industry Average237
Saturn240
Oldsmobile242
GMC245
Pontiac245
Mazda252
Hyundai260
Subaru260
Volvo266
Jaguar268
Dodge273
Nissan275
Mitsubishi278
Mercedes-Benz283
Saab286
Jeep289
Suzuki292
Audi312
Daewoo318
Isuzu331
Volkswagen335
MINI383
Land Rover395
Kia397

For the 11th straight year, Lexus is tops in long-term quality in J.D. Power
and Associates' Vehicle Dependability Study.

According to the 2005 study, owners of 2002-model Lexus vehicles reported
139 problems per 100 vehicles. Power released the study on Wednesday.

Lexus showed a 14 percent improvement in dependability over 2004, Power
said. Lexus vehicles ranked first in three of the 19 car and truck segments
included in the study.

The Lexus LS 430 had 90 problems per 100 vehicles. It is the first model in
the history of the 16-year-old study to have fewer than one problem per
vehicle.

Porsche showed a dramatic increase in this year's study. It finished second
in dependability, up from tenth last year. Porsche had 149 problems per 100
vehicles, a 38 percent year-over-year improvement.

"It's the largest percentage improvement in the industry," said Neal Oddes,
Power's director of product research.

"Porsche didn't change much of their lineup" from the 2001 to 2002 model
year, Oddes said. "They just improved on what they had."

Hyundai had the largest year-over-year reduction in the number of problems
reported by owners. The brand had 260 problems per 100 vehicles, a reduction
of 115 problems from last year's study. But Hyundai still finished below the
industry average of 237 problems per 100 vehicles.

Chevrolet placed first in four model segments, more than any other brand.
The study ranked Chevrolet's Prizm and Malibu cars and S-10 and Silverado HD
pickups most dependable in their segments.

Among other General Motors vehicles, the Buick Century and LeSabre sedans,
GMC Yukon and Yukon XL and Cadillac Escalade EXT SUVs finished on top of
their model segments.

"This is the first time, when you look at GM, they've won this many segment
awards," Oddes says.

Ford Motor Co. vehicles finished first in five segments. Toyota had four
segment leaders.

Oddes noted that the Escalade EXT and the redesigned Ford Thunderbird,
another segment winner, debuted in the 2002 model year. A first-year vehicle
finishing first in dependability "is very rare at best," he says.

Overall, the Power study says, long-term vehicle quality increased 12
percent from 2004 to 2005. Audi and Saab were the only brands that did not
show year-over-year improvements.

Audi had 312 problems per 100 vehicles in this year's study, a 6 percent
increase from 2004. Saab had 286 problems per 100 vehicles, an 8 percent
increase. Oddes called these annual changes in dependability "minor
declines."

Kia, which had 397 problems per 100 vehicles, finished last in the 2005
study. Land Rover, last year's lowest performer, was second to last this
year, with 395 problems.

The Power study is based on responses from 50,635 original owners of 2002
model vehicles. A vehicle warranty typically is reaching its end after three
years, Power said.

Old June 29th 05, 11:33 PM

The just goes to show how closely cars are rated today for build
quality by their owners. The best has a rate 1.39 defects per
car and the worst 3.97 and the average of only 2.37. If one
subscribes to J D Powers service they would see the failures are
mostly minor in nature, such as squeaks and rattles

Looks much different when presented as a list than if shown, as
it should be, as a percentage of failures. The best as just over
98% trouble free, the average just under 98% trouble free, and
the worst as just under 97% trouble free. That is what we see
in our business, as well.

All manufactures are building good vehicles today that will
easily run to 200K, trouble free, if given the proper preventive
maintenance. The only real difference among them is style and
price. Your chance of getting a good one are basically 8 out of
9. The change of getting one not up to snuff is minor 1% to 2%
since they all have a failure rate of at least 1%, that is why
they all offer a warranty.

Why some will spend 20% or 30% more to buy a comparable vehicle,
of a certain brand over another, just in the hope that the ONE
they get is not one of the 1% to 2%, always seemed like extremely
poor gambling odds to me

Old June 30th 05, 02:54 AM
Art

The worst have 3 times the number of problems as the best. That might make
a difference to somebody.

Old June 30th 05, 04:26 AM
Dan J.S.

> wrote in message
> The just goes to show how closely cars are rated today for build
> quality by their owners. The best has a rate 1.39 defects per
> car and the worst 3.97 and the average of only 2.37. If one
> subscribes to J D Powers service they would see the failures are
> mostly minor in nature, such as squeaks and rattles
>
> Looks much different when presented as a list than if shown, as
> it should be, as a percentage of failures. The best as just over
> 98% trouble free, the average just under 98% trouble free, and
> the worst as just under 97% trouble free. That is what we see
> in our business, as well.
>
> All manufactures are building good vehicles today that will
> easily run to 200K, trouble free, if given the proper preventive
> maintenance. The only real difference among them is style and
> price. Your chance of getting a good one are basically 8 out of
> 9. The change of getting one not up to snuff is minor 1% to 2%
> since they all have a failure rate of at least 1%, that is why
> they all offer a warranty.
>
> Why some will spend 20% or 30% more to buy a comparable vehicle,
> of a certain brand over another, just in the hope that the ONE
> they get is not one of the 1% to 2%, always seemed like extremely
> poor gambling odds to me

But there are other issues. For example, a friend just bought a 2005
Corvette. He drove me to a business meeting a few miles away. I own a
4runner. When he started the vette, it ran rough, and it took 10 minutes for
the car's AC to cool it down. In my 4runner, the engine runs so that I don't
even feel it on, and the AC cools it down in a matter of 2 minutes. So there
are still design issues that are still huge. I am thinking about buying the
Dodge Charger - and then souping it up. I really hope quality is getting
that good... we will see..

Old June 30th 05, 02:36 PM
Don Moore

Initial Quality reports are so stupid. Lets have a quality report after 5
or 10 years when it really counts.

Old June 30th 05, 03:49 PM
C. E. White

Old June 30th 05, 04:01 PM
Dan J.S.

"Don Moore" > wrote in message
. ..
> Initial Quality reports are so stupid. Lets have a quality report after 5
> or 10 years when it really counts.

These particular ones are not initial, they are 3 year old.. which is still
fairly short...

Old June 30th 05, 05:59 PM
Paul

Most of people only keep their new cars for 3-5 years today.

. ..

Old June 30th 05, 06:45 PM
Art

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
> [...]

If I could get a Lexus for $10k more than a Kia I certainly would.

Old June 30th 05, 06:46 PM
Art

If you want a souped up Charger, wait a while. A bigger V8 is on its way.