No wonder some cyclists are hated

Old March 8th 12, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
BartC

Default No wonder some cyclists are hated

"Mr Benn" > wrote in message
> thirty-six" > wrote in message

> This is a perfect example of cyclist behaving inconsiderately towards
> other road users. Is it any wonder than so many driver hate cyclists like
> these? Consideration for other road users goes both ways.

Why do you keep bringing up stuff like this? One cyclist deciding to keep in
the middle of the lane instead of letting faster traffic pass. Although they
did seem to be cycling at near 30mph.

In 30 years' of driving, I can't actually recall any significant occasions
when I've been delayed by cyclists like this. But there must have been a
thousand times when I've been stuck behind a bus, coach, truck, tractor, or,
more usually, another car, dawdling at this sort of speed.

So why this unjustified and unbalanced anti-cyclist propaganda?

*Some* people are just inconsiderate. That's not actually news. That some of
them are cyclists, and therefore an easy target, is irrelevant. Other people
who are cyclists, and who don't ride at 30mph and don't hog the middle of
the road, resent the hatred you're deliberately trying to stir up.

--
bartc

Old March 8th 12, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc

On Mar 8, 2:42*pm, "BartC" > wrote:
> "Mr Benn" > wrote in message

> > thirty-six" > wrote in message
> > This is a perfect example of cyclist behaving inconsiderately towards
> > other road users. *Is it any wonder than so many driver hate cyclists like
> > these? Consideration for other road users goes both ways.

> Why do you keep bringing up stuff like this? One cyclist deciding to keep in
> the middle of the lane instead of letting faster traffic pass. Although they
> did seem to be cycling at near 30mph.
>
> In 30 years' of driving, I can't actually recall any significant occasions
> when I've been delayed by cyclists like this. But there must have been a
> thousand times when I've been stuck behind a bus, coach, truck, tractor, or,
> more usually, another car, dawdling at this sort of speed.
>
> So why this unjustified and unbalanced anti-cyclist propaganda?
>
> *Some* people are just inconsiderate. That's not actually news. That some of
> them are cyclists, and therefore an easy target, is irrelevant. Other people
> who are cyclists, and who don't ride at 30mph and don't hog the middle of
> the road, resent the hatred you're deliberately trying to stir up.

"Mr Benn" is a known crossposting troll.
He is best ignored as he just wants to stir up trouble like the other
four trolls in urc do.
It is what they do.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 8th 12, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
Mr Benn[_4_]

"BartC" > wrote in message ...
> "Mr Benn" > wrote in message
>> thirty-six" > wrote in message

>> This is a perfect example of cyclist behaving inconsiderately towards
>> other road users. Is it any wonder than so many driver hate cyclists
>> like
>> these? Consideration for other road users goes both ways.

> Why do you keep bringing up stuff like this? One cyclist deciding to keep
> in
> the middle of the lane instead of letting faster traffic pass. Although
> they
> did seem to be cycling at near 30mph.
>
> In 30 years' of driving, I can't actually recall any significant occasions
> when I've been delayed by cyclists like this. But there must have been a
> thousand times when I've been stuck behind a bus, coach, truck, tractor,
> or,
> more usually, another car, dawdling at this sort of speed.
>
> So why this unjustified and unbalanced anti-cyclist propaganda?

No unjustified or unbalanced.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Psycholists don't like it up 'em.

Old March 8th 12, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
thirty-six

On Mar 8, 2:47*pm, "Mr Benn" > wrote:
> "BartC" > wrote in ....
> > "Mr Benn" > wrote in message
> >> thirty-six" > wrote in message

> >> This is a perfect example of cyclist behaving inconsiderately towards
> >> other road users. *Is it any wonder than so many driver hate cyclists
> >> like
> >> these? Consideration for other road users goes both ways.

> > Why do you keep bringing up stuff like this? One cyclist deciding to keep
> > in
> > the middle of the lane instead of letting faster traffic pass. Although
> > they
> > did seem to be cycling at near 30mph.

> > In 30 years' of driving, I can't actually recall any significant occasions
> > when I've been delayed by cyclists like this. But there must have been a
> > thousand times when I've been stuck behind a bus, coach, truck, tractor,
> > or,
> > more usually, another car, dawdling at this sort of speed.

> > So why this unjustified and unbalanced anti-cyclist propaganda?

> No unjustified or unbalanced.
>
> If you don't like it, don't read it.
>
> Psycholists don't like it up 'em.

Seems like you've been getting yours today.
Old March 8th 12, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
Mrcheerful

Default MP's bill to make cycle helmets compulsory for under-14s fails

Tris wrote:
> If we were to be that seriously concerned with risk, should we be
> riding a bike in the first place?
> In post > "Mrcheerful"
> > wrote:
>
>> thirty-six wrote:

>>> Hooray. It's bad enough the recommendation to wear a helmet, it
>>> stops my nephew from riding because his father insists he wears a
>>> polstyrene cap. When he bashes his head then he'll be more careful
>>> in future. The greater awareness which comes after a head bump that
>>> raises an egg will do more to protect a rider than 1/2" of puffed
>>> plastic. And what about knees?

>> The problem is that a bump as bad as you describe does irreparable
>> brain damage. Merely heading a football also does internal damage
>> that has lifelong consequences. So why risk it?

> If we were to be that seriously concerned with risk, should we be
> riding a bike in the first place?

Exactly, but since that is unlikely in the short term, why not take
precautions? A suitable helmet is very cheap compared to the slightest head
injury.

Old March 8th 12, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
Dave - Cyclists VOR

http://road.cc/content/news/47552-mp...nder-14s-fails

> Good. Glad it has been shelved. Now, a far better law would be one which
> obliges children under 13 to undergo cycling proficiency training and to
> pass a test. That was standard practice in my day, in the 1960s (not
> compulsory of course) but I doubt if anyone expects kids to do this now, and
> our roads are more dangerous than they were.
>
> Coincidentally, in the London Metro newspaper today.....
>
> http://www.metro.co.uk/news/892453-h...says-new-study
>

> ‘Looking at evidence, it does not matter if people are wearing a helmet or
> not, any serious accident on a bike is likely to kill them,’ said Dr Carwyn
> Hooper, from St George’s University of London. His team pointed to evidence
> in Australia where 80 per cent of cyclists killed or seriously injured were
> wearing helmets. However, he said children should be made to wear them
> because helmets can protect them from minor crashes and tumbles which they
> are more prone to.

The Porky Chapman Helmet Test.

1] Wear a cycle helmet & allow someone to hit you on the head with a hammer.
2] Repeat, but without wearing the cycle helmet.
Record which one hurts the most & causes most trauma.

University
Old March 8th 12, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Old March 8th 12, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Old March 8th 12, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Old March 8th 12, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal,rec.autos.misc
thirty-six

On Mar 8, 5:58*pm, (Tris) wrote:
> In post > "Mrcheerful"
>

> > wrote:
> >Tris wrote:
> >> If we were to be that seriously concerned with risk, should we be
> >> riding a bike in the first place?
> >> *In post > "Mrcheerful"

> >> If we were to be that seriously concerned with risk, should we be
> >> riding a bike in the first place?

> >Exactly, but since that is unlikely in the short term, why not take
> >precautions? *A suitable helmet is very cheap compared to the slightest head
> >injury.

> Most cyclists are, I believe, quite capable of deciding for themselves
> which precautions they take, so, they should be left to do what they
> want in that regard. But when it comes to children, who we know are
> generally more accident prone, I can see a case for talking some
> precautions on their behalf.

It's an unenforcibubble proposition. Children don't see cycling as
dangerous and by and large, if they keep off the high-speed roads,
there is minimal risk from idiot drivers. The same test that applied
to cyclists should also be put forth for pedestrians, because they
walk along the same roads. Think of the revenue this would generate
for the Children's Helmet Initiative Trust and the Seniors' Helmet
Initiative Trust . <g> Thes ped hemets could also be sold in walking
apparel shops, such as shoe shops. <G>