rFactor re-intall proceedures?

Old August 3rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Default rFactor re-intall proceedures?

I forget, has anyone posted them, and I didn't mean to be lazy, but was
thinking someone said to save 1 or 2 files, just in case? I want to
uninstall rFactor like they suggest, I do not recall what I had better do or
how I can make sure I get back online and all that... I have NOT done much
to the sim as far as add-ons, well since the 1st rounds of the Nascar Beta
stuff.

thanks.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
>I forget, has anyone posted them, and I didn't mean to be lazy, but was
>thinking someone said to save 1 or 2 files, just in case? I want to
>uninstall rFactor like they suggest, I do not recall what I had better do
>or how I can make sure I get back online and all that... I have NOT done
>much to the sim as far as add-ons, well since the 1st rounds of the Nascar
>Beta stuff.
>
> thanks.

My suggestion would be to rename your presently installed rFactor and
install the new version. Once things are up to par, you can transfer
anything from the old to the new and then delete the old install. In this
way, you preserve your activation and do not use up another. This is what I
typically do, having enough space to do so.

Getting back online is not a big issue, even if you had to use up another
activation. Only recently I reformatted my hard drive, as a part of my
almost ritual summer cleaning. I did have to reactivate, but had no
problems getting online. It happened almost automatically, without any
effort of my own.

Alanb

Old August 4th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

"Rod" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article <ABqAg.899$uW1.340@dukeread06>,
> says...
>
>> I forget, has anyone posted them, and I didn't mean to be lazy, but was
>> thinking someone said to save 1 or 2 files, just in case? I want to
>> uninstall rFactor like they suggest, I do not recall what I had better do
>> or
>> how I can make sure I get back online and all that... I have NOT done
>> much
>> to the sim as far as add-ons, well since the 1st rounds of the Nascar
>> Beta
>> stuff.

> I renamed my directory and just did a complete new install. No
> activation required but I did lose my plr file and cash. Wasn't that
> big a deal as I've only really been doing the odd race here and there.
>
> I suspect that if you were to dump your userdata dir from your old
> installation, you'd preserve all your lap records, settings, etc.
>
> I think their basis behind a re-install was so that there were no
> strange conflicts with existing files in the rfactor heirachy so to
> actually uninstall it probably isn't all that neccessary. However,
> if you do uninstall, there were some registry entries that you need
> to extract and re-import in order to not have to reactivate the
> product, IIRC. I found out how to do it on RSC.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Rod.

No, you just uninstall the old version and install the new. No activation,
and no need to save any registry entries.

You can save your user data folder from the old install if you want to keep
setups and controller configuration. Downloaded tracks can be saved from the
locations folder.

--
David G Fisher

Old August 4th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mcewena

PlowBoy wrote:
> I forget, has anyone posted them, and I didn't mean to be lazy, but was
> thinking someone said to save 1 or 2 files, just in case?

This is probably overkill but you never know:

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=227385