Upgrade question.

Old August 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Brian[_4_]

Default Upgrade question.

I am currently running an AMD XP 2100 with a Gforce 4 Ti4200 and 512 mb
ram. I have a chance to get a 7800GS agp video card. Will it work okay
with my computer? I play Nascar 2003, GP legends, F1 challenge and now
GT legends. Will my cpu be a big hang up? I plan on doing a big upgrade
after the first of the year. I figured you folks could give me the best
answers. Thanks!

Old August 1st 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
TW[_1_]

On 31 Jul 2006 18:42:27 -0700, "Brian" > wrote:

>I am currently running an AMD XP 2100 with a Gforce 4 Ti4200 and 512 mb
>ram. I have a chance to get a 7800GS agp video card. Will it work okay
>with my computer? I play Nascar 2003, GP legends, F1 challenge and now
>GT legends. Will my cpu be a big hang up? I plan on doing a big upgrade
>after the first of the year. I figured you folks could give me the best
>answers. Thanks!

One of my concerns would be that by investing in an AGP card you're
going to limit yourself to an AGP motherboard when you do your upgrade
vs a PCI express slot. You should see a small increase with the 7800,
but not a lot. Unless you're getting a great deal on the card I would
consider doing the video when you do the major upgrade.
Old August 1st 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

TW is right about the buy AGP now or get PCIe ONLY is a delemma for many
reasons, unless money is a factor... But there is a lot more money to spend
than they think, to get into a PCIe board and vid card maybe not for you
Brian?

My 1st thougth was, How high can you take that motherboard Processor wise?
(what socket is the AMD?) modest investment in that chip along with the
vid card, you could get by a while (much like I hope to with my Wintel
machine) But the wintell I have is crap, 2.4 ghz 533fsb, socket 478, only
better processor I can find for mine right now is a 2.7 or so. for about
150...

Secondly, to say you wont see much with the 7800gs (256 meg) is somewhat
misguided IMHO. TW is right that the similiarly priced PCIe versions are
better and faster by oh about at most 10% I think it was . But do you buy a
300 dollar card, for a dead end system? On ebay though, the 7800gs's (agp)
are fetching just over 200 bucks on average where reatails is nearer to 300.
so dollar wise or pound foolish?

My trap is, that if I bought a new motherboard, Im gonna get a faster cpu, &
ram (plus more of it) or I aint moving anywhere... I figured my motherboard
& chip (4400+ which may or may not go down in price soon with AMD's
announcement soon) setup I picked out was going to run me a minimum of $515
us, plus I need a gfx card, and ram for it, becuase it was not agp and only
think I can xfer to it would be a HD and DVD burners.

But Asrock
(http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...ual/page2.html)
has a decent board board that has BOTH agp & pci-e for the 939 AMD chips. I
was up to 320 with decent chip and $74 shipped (neweg {showing outof stock
btw as I post this})
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...C-pr1c3grabb3r)

But maybe your processor and ram will fit into this board? It might be a
decent upgrade path for you... upgrade a little bit as you feel you have
the cash?

My reasoning: I can get the AGP not so expensinve now, as everyone is
abandoning it. get the Asrock a little later, with better CPU and use my
AGP card in it for a while, then move up to like the 7950 (pcie) or
something as the 8800 come out? hell I dont know, lots of speculation I
admit, I guess...

TW enlightened us with:

Old August 2nd 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Brian[_4_]

PlowBoy wrote:
> [...]
> admit, I guess...
>

> TW enlightened us with:
> > On 31 Jul 2006 18:42:27 -0700, "Brian" > wrote:
> >
> >> I am currently running an AMD XP 2100 with a Gforce 4 Ti4200 and 512
> >> mb ram. I have a chance to get a 7800GS agp video card. Will it work
> >> okay with my computer? I play Nascar 2003, GP legends, F1 challenge
> >> and now GT legends. Will my cpu be a big hang up? I plan on doing a
> >> big upgrade after the first of the year. I figured you folks could
> >> give me the best answers. Thanks!

> > One of my concerns would be that by investing in an AGP card you're
> > going to limit yourself to an AGP motherboard when you do your upgrade
> > vs a PCI express slot. You should see a small increase with the 7800,
> > but not a lot. Unless you're getting a great deal on the card I would
> > consider doing the video when you do the major upgrade.

Actually I will only be paying about $125 for the vid card, afreind has
up graded to an Intel 805 with DDR2 and PCIE. I was hoping to limp by
for another 6 months or so before figuring out if I should continue
with AMD and get an AMD2 mobo with DDR2 or go to Intel. Their new cpus
are pretty impressive. My current mobo is a MSI K7N2. I have had my set
up for 3 1/2 years. If i have to spend any more to make the 7800gs work
I probably wont do it.

Old August 2nd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

> Actually I will only be paying about $125 for the vid card, afreind
> has up graded to an Intel 805 with DDR2 and PCIE. I was hoping to
> limp by for another 6 months or so before figuring out if I should
> continue with AMD and get an AMD2 mobo with DDR2 or go to Intel.
> Their new cpus are pretty impressive. My current mobo is a MSI K7N2.
> I have had my set up for 3 1/2 years. If i have to spend any more to
> make the 7800gs work I probably wont do it.

Well, you are getting off even cheaper than me and others... I wouldnt bat
an eye at trying it. I bet you you will see a Decent amount of
improvements. If not, Ill buy it from ya!!!

But in my original reply, I was pointing out, that 2 other small incremental
(money wise) improvements, CPU & definitelymore memory for existing system,
could gain you even more (satisfaction/time?)

Again, I am just discussing because you were talking about something I been
trying to work out myself now for a month... Im a cheap & old *******
nowdays...

And it is all in perception and how much money you are willing to spend to
achieve a performance level. you see, I hate like hell to spend hard to
find $$ to not improve my situation, let alone have to spend it again (when
I want to upgrade) but mostly I dont want to spend more than I have to RIGHT
now as I been saving up... fair enough?

So to improve My situation a lot, would seemingly cost me about 5-800 bucks
with 250 or more pci vid card, 150 or so motherboard, 260 or more processor
& minimum of 100 in memory (and then I still need a powersupply, I will
reuse my case).

But for 200 bucks that the gs is costing me, I think I can still call it a
step in the right direction, later buy the motherboard that takes my AGP
card & the newer processor... all wont be all bad, just not as good as some
would suggest, which entails spending the biger bucks?

Old August 2nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DD

"Brian" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> [...]
>> admit, I guess...
>>

>> TW enlightened us with:

>> > One of my concerns would be that by investing in an AGP card you're
>> > going to limit yourself to an AGP motherboard when you do your upgrade
>> > vs a PCI express slot. You should see a small increase with the 7800,
>> > but not a lot. Unless you're getting a great deal on the card I would
>> > consider doing the video when you do the major upgrade.

> Actually I will only be paying about $125 for the vid card, afreind has
> up graded to an Intel 805 with DDR2 and PCIE. I was hoping to limp by
> for another 6 months or so before figuring out if I should continue
> with AMD and get an AMD2 mobo with DDR2 or go to Intel. Their new cpus
> are pretty impressive. My current mobo is a MSI K7N2. I have had my set
> up for 3 1/2 years. If i have to spend any more to make the 7800gs work

Buy the card, it's an absolute steal at that price. I bought one (7800 GS
AGP) this week and saw my benchmarks more than quadruple from my previous
6200 (which had been a cheap and modest upgrade from a 4600). One thing
though, it is pretty power hungry, my 400 watt PSU with 15 amp on the 12V
rail was being tripped on a heavy load and was shutting down the system
instantaneously, a few others are getting a similar problem. An inexpensive
550W, 30 amp PSU has fixed the problem.

DavidD.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Sting32

Thanks for that info about PSU, I think mine is a 450, maybe it will keep
up? but at least I wont suspect something else if this happens either...

Old August 3rd 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Greg Campbell

Brian wrote:

> PlowBoy wrote:
>
>>TW is right about the buy AGP now or get PCIe ONLY is a delemma for many
>>reasons, unless money is a factor... But there is a lot more money to spend
>>than they think, to get into a PCIe board and vid card maybe not for you
>>Brian?
>>
>>My 1st thougth was, How high can you take that motherboard Processor wise?
>>(what socket is the AMD?) modest investment in that chip along with the
>>vid card, you could get by a while (much like I hope to with my Wintel
>>machine)

> Actually I will only be paying about $125 for the vid card, afreind has
> up graded to an Intel 805 with DDR2 and PCIE. I was hoping to limp by
> for another 6 months or so before figuring out if I should continue
> with AMD and get an AMD2 mobo with DDR2 or go to Intel. Their new cpus
> are pretty impressive. My current mobo is a MSI K7N2. I have had my set
> up for 3 1/2 years. If i have to spend any more to make the 7800gs work
> I probably wont do it.

For another $60 or so, you could grab a used (they're almost impossible
to fine new) mobile barton on *bay or elsewhere. Most will hit ~2.3GHz
on air with a mild voltage boost to 1.6 or so. This, along with your
new vidcard, would give your system a good kick in the pants. Be sure
you get a 1.35~1.45v (depending on which model you find, there is a
2400+, 2500+, 2600+ and maybe another even higher) chip. There are some
significantly older mobile chips that run at higher voltages; they will
not OC nearly as well.

Typical results he
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=722&page=1
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...fication.shtml

-Greg

Videocard Upgrade Question BRH Simulators 4 November 19th 05 05:23 PM
GTL: Videocard Question BRH Simulators 4 November 16th 05 05:43 PM
Early mustang rack and pinion upgrade question Mark C. Ford Mustang 6 November 2nd 05 05:30 AM
Heater Blower Upgrade Question Michael White Jeep 16 December 9th 04 01:41 PM