rFactor Update v1150 Released

Old August 2nd 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Online Racer

Default rFactor Update v1150 Released

Mr. Sylvestre wrote:
> Trev B wrote:
>> It's not GPL.

> Shouldn't that be "it's no GPL" ?
>
> Mr. S.

Thank god its no GPL!
Old August 2nd 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darus

DOH!

Yup....wear.

Old August 2nd 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo

http://www.rfactor.net/

>>> It's not GPL.

>> Yeah, it's much better!
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Rod.

> Just downloaded the new rFactor. I agree with the previous poster. It is
> still no where near as good as GPL. All you folk who disagree probably
> weren't worth a damn at GPL. GPL is hard, the learning curve for GPL is
> very steep. There really is no learning curve for rFactor. It is geared
> for boneheads. Not to mention the graphics. They suck, compared to GPL, in
> rFactor. So, keep trying, there's a long way to go to catch up.

This is a typical elitist GPL response. If someone is satisfied with his
particular brand of racing simulator, who's to say what is good and what is
not?

Alanb

Old August 2nd 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Problem is, I could say that Nascar Thunder is a wonderful SIM.

That would blow your whole theory

-Laryr

. ..

Old August 3rd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

I spend about 30 days a year on race tracks on the east coast and I
can say without reservation that all sims out there are fun... but it
stops there. If my car handled like the ones in sims I would be dead
by now.

Enjoy playing whatever you like, just remember you are only playing..

GP

Old August 3rd 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo

"GaryP" > wrote in message
>I spend about 30 days a year on race tracks on the east coast and I
> can say without reservation that all sims out there are fun... but it
> stops there. If my car handled like the ones in sims I would be dead
> by now.
>
> Enjoy playing whatever you like, just remember you are only playing..
>
> GP
>

>>On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:42:18 -0400, "David G Fisher" >
>>wrote:
>>http://www.rfactor.net/
>>
>>http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...actor%20Update
>>
>>A lot of good stuff in there. :-)

You are correct: there is certainly no comparison between driving a
simulator on a computer and driving the real thing in real life.

But your meaning is that computer sim cars are much more difficult to handle
than the real thing? I'm thinking that's what you mean. Even driving
casually (I own a '99 Miata, standard), I can notice an obvious difference.
My Miata is much easier to handle, though, again, I'm not typically driving
at extremely fast speeds. But also, even driving my Miata at high speeds, I
don't usually drive as recklessly as I do with a computer sim, knowing full
well that in real life I could die if I did drive so recklessly.

Alanb

Old August 3rd 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr. Sylvestre

graycat wrote:
> Just downloaded the new rFactor. I agree with the previous poster. It is
> still no where near as good as GPL. All you folk who disagree probably
> weren't worth a damn at GPL. GPL is hard, the learning curve for GPL is very
> steep. There really is no learning curve for rFactor. It is geared for
> boneheads. Not to mention the graphics. They suck, compared to GPL, in
> rFactor. So, keep trying, there's a long way to go to catch up.

Repeat after me: hard is NOT synonymous with realistic (or fun, or
whatever)

Don't get me wrong, I still love GPL very much, partly because of the
era it depicts, its atmosphere, and -yes- partly because it is so
challenging.

But I also appreciate rFactor very much. IMHO, there is a learning curve
to it too. It is indeed quite easy to drive the rFactor cars at
reasonable speed (as it should be !) but scraping those last tenths of a
second per lap and achieving consistant fast lap times is as hard as it
is with GPL. To me, this is definitely an improvement over the older ISI
and Papy physics with respect to low speed handling.

As for the graphics, I am not so fond of ISI's cars and track textures,
although it bugs me that I cannot pinpoint what is wrong with these. But
as long as I can drive some of the best rFactor mods (McLaren,
Protoracers, Armaroli, F3Euro, Beetles) on GTL converted tracks (Spa,
Monza, Imola, Magny-Cours, Nurburgring), the new Kyalami or Monaco, I am
more than happy.

[Note: before anyone flames me for using Simbin tracks in rFactor, I
bought GTL and will buy GTR2, for George's sake].

Trev B is right, it is not GPL, it is different. But not an inferior
sim, or game, IMHO.

Regards,
Mr. Sylvestre (still dreaming of a good Lotus 49 mod for rFactor )

Old August 3rd 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Stephan Paskert

Mr. Sylvestre wrote:
> graycat wrote:

[...]

> [Note: before anyone flames me for using Simbin tracks in rFactor, I
> bought GTL and will buy GTR2, for George's sake].

Is it possible to extract the tracks from the GTL-disc without installing
it? I donīt want Starforce on my machine.

Old August 3rd 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr. Sylvestre

Stephan Paskert wrote:
> Is it possible to extract the tracks from the GTL-disc without installing
> it? I donīt want Starforce on my machine.

I have no idea, but please note that the GTL tracks have to be converted
to be used in rFactor, there is a little bit more than just drag and
drop. Moreover, as some of the track files are encrypted and as the
easiest way to decrypt these is to make use of GTL itself, there is a
reason for installing GTL (in addition, the game is very good).

If your dislike of Starforce is such that it prevents you enjoying GTL
(your loss) or if Starforce has real issues with your PC (it could be),
you might also save the hassle by considering whether downloading an
already converted track is conflicting with your personal ethics
assuming that you bought GTL (am I sounding like Jiminy cricket yet ? ).

Mr. S.
Old August 3rd 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

Yes, that's about it Alan. The great debate over which sim is more
"realistic" makes me crazy because none of them can be until they
figure a way to simulate G-Forces on your body and a LOT of other
factors. They can make controls, graphics, and "physics" on paper
extremely close to the real thing and I guess thats why the good ones
are called simulators! Pick one that you like to play and be happy
that they haven't gone dodo like flight sims.. I personally like
rFactor at the moment, but have a good time in GTL and will always
love GPL. One good thing that I have found that correlates to RL is
the tracks (when they are accurate). You CAN get a good feeling for a
new track from a sim, gives you a good basis to start from before you
get your first run in..

Enjoy!
GP