e46 climate control has mind of its own.

Old May 10th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
thepixelfreak

Default e46 climate control has mind of its own.

So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving
along and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to
max. Mind you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed.
When it does this the only way to get back to the current setting is to
turn climate control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it
does it's fan speed ramp up again. I _do not_ have the climate control
in 'auto' mode or anything.

Super annoying. Anyone ever run into this before?

--

thepixelfreak

Old May 10th 07, 03:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Wed, 9 May 2007 19:05:50 -0700, thepixelfreak > wrote:

>So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving
>along and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to
>max. Mind you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed.
>When it does this the only way to get back to the current setting is to
>turn climate control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it
>does it's fan speed ramp up again....

If this happened six months ago, why are you worrying about it now?

-- Larry
Old May 10th 07, 05:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"thepixelfreak" wrote
> So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving along
> and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to max. Mind
> you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed. When it does
> this the only way to get back to the current setting is to turn climate
> control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it does it's fan
> speed ramp up again. I _do not_ have the climate control in 'auto' mode or
> anything.
>
> Super annoying. Anyone ever run into this before?

If it were an e39, I would say you need a new Final Stage Unit, which is a
very common issue in those cars. Not sure if the e46 suffers from a similar
problem, but it's a possibility.

Pete

Old May 10th 07, 08:24 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article <2007050919055016807%not@dotcom>,
thepixelfreak > wrote:
> So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving
> along and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to
> max. Mind you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed.
> When it does this the only way to get back to the current setting is to
> turn climate control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it
> does it's fan speed ramp up again. I _do not_ have the climate control
> in 'auto' mode or anything.

> Super annoying. Anyone ever run into this before?

Very common problem - final stage resistor.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 10th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
thepixelfreak

On 2007-05-09 19:31:17 -0700, pltrgyst > said:

> On Wed, 9 May 2007 19:05:50 -0700, thepixelfreak > wrote:
>

>> So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving
>> along and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to
>> max. Mind you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed.
>> When it does this the only way to get back to the current setting is to
>> turn climate control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it
>> does it's fan speed ramp up again....

> If this happened six months ago, why are you worrying about it now?
>
> -- Larry

Because I found this newsgroup yesterday.
--

thepixelfreak

Old May 10th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
thepixelfreak

On 2007-05-09 19:05:50 -0700, thepixelfreak > said:

> So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving
> along and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to
> max. Mind you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed.
> When it does this the only way to get back to the current setting is to
> turn climate control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it
> does it's fan speed ramp up again. I _do not_ have the climate control
> in 'auto' mode or anything.
>
> Super annoying. Anyone ever run into this before?

Thanks for the Final Stage Resistor clues.

--

thepixelfreak

Old May 11th 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Haydon

Faulty heater fan resistor pack.

Old May 11th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"thepixelfreak" > wrote in message

> So I have a 2001 e46 330Ci. About 6 mos. ago I was merrily driving along
> and all on it's own the climate control sets the fan speed to max. Mind
> you the little LED display doesn't change with the fan speed. When it does
> this the only way to get back to the current setting is to turn climate
> control off and then back on again. A few minutes later it does it's fan
> speed ramp up again. I _do not_ have the climate control in 'auto' mode or
> anything.
>
> Super annoying. Anyone ever run into this before?
>

> --
>
> thepixelfreak

Had you pressed / knocked windscreen clear button? (user error)

The other alternative is that it is very hot / cold and the AC has waited
until the compressor has ramped up / coolant has warmed up and then put up
the fan to compensate automatically. (no fault found).

156 Climate control Charlie Andrews Alfa Romeo 9 January 7th 07 09:15 PM
climate control Pedro BMW 0 August 28th 06 12:56 AM
E46 Climate Control Fan ReddDawg[_1_] BMW 2 July 12th 06 02:27 PM
Help with E36 Climate control JB BMW 4 January 12th 06 09:24 AM
'95 EB climate control [email protected] Ford Explorer 1 February 1st 05 03:13 AM