Two kinds of idiots

Old April 26th 05, 10:38 AM
RichA

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:58:19 -0500,
(Brent P) wrote:

(Brent P) wrote in

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

>> That file is over 5 years old; it certainly doesn't apply to roads
>> around here. Today it's downright dangerous to follow. Anyone who
>> rides a bicycle in the same space that a car would occupy has a death
>> wish.

>Not my fault you don't know the first thing about bicycling. Maybe you
>should refrain from commenting on things you don't know about.
>
>BTW 5 year olds ride on the sidewalk. Adults ride on the roadway.

Stupid rule. What's worse, hitting a pedestrian with a bike
or hitting a bike rider with a car?
-Rich
Old April 26th 05, 07:00 PM
Brent P

In article >, RichA wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:03:02 -0500,
> (Brent P) wrote:
>
>>In article >, ZombyWoof wrote:
>>
>><does anyone in this newsgroup trim anything?>
>>
>>> Some States, such as NJ, already have laws on the books making it
>>> illegal to drive without both hands on the wheel.

>>Do cops ticket anyone with a manual transmission?
>>
>>> our speed limits are so low that it allows people to have a false
>>> sense of security and think that they can perform multiple tasks while
>>> driving. Get one of these people up to 100mph+ and see if they can
>>> use their cell phone and suck on their Big Gulp at the same time.

>>And the speed limit isn't stopping them now. I don't understand this
>>mentality of limiting an entire population based on it's idiots.

> The main rule of this World is you are always held back by the weakest
> link. Because of the interlinks of everything in our society, it's
> inevitable.

Then our society will eventually degrade and collapse as these limits
progress through society.

>>Seriously, everything from grade schools on up now seem to operate at a
>>slowest-ship-in-the-fleet pace. The USA will be a third world nation in
>>no time.

> Well, when third World countries have people coming out of grade 10
> with math skills like a first year university student in the U.S.,
> it's no wonder.

Not sure what you are trying to say... but look at china and india.

Old April 26th 05, 07:03 PM
Brent P

In article >, ZombyWoof wrote:
> It is called the Lowest Common Denominator Theory.

Yep.

> A school system in Florida where my daughter first started school
> tried grouping children of like abilities together in classes as part
> of a controlled study. After the First Grade, all the A students in
> one Second Grade class, all the B's in another and so forth. The idea
> was to give the Teacher and even playing field to teach to. The
> Teachers were never told what the overall makeup of their class was,
> nor were the children. Wanna take a wild guess what happened?

Not sure what you are getting at, but I don't see anything wrong with
tracking. School became considerably more bareable for me the more
separated my classes were from those of lesser desire to learn.

Old April 26th 05, 07:10 PM
Brent P

In article >, RichA wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:58:19 -0500,
> (Brent P) wrote:
>
>>In article >, Joe wrote:

(Brent P) wrote in
>>> :

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

>>> That file is over 5 years old; it certainly doesn't apply to roads
>>> around here. Today it's downright dangerous to follow. Anyone who
>>> rides a bicycle in the same space that a car would occupy has a death
>>> wish.

>>Not my fault you don't know the first thing about bicycling. Maybe you
>>should refrain from commenting on things you don't know about.
>>
>>BTW 5 year olds ride on the sidewalk. Adults ride on the roadway.
>>

> Stupid rule. What's worse, hitting a pedestrian with a bike
> or hitting a bike rider with a car?

Want to get hit by a car? Ride 25mph on sidewalks. Great way to get hit
at intersections, driveways, etc. Not to mention the curb jumping, dog
walkers, peds, joggers, etc and so forth. Much safer on the roads.

I certainly don't want to hit a ped at 25mph. And I am not about to ride
at a walking pace. You want to ride by ped rules, you have to do ped
speeds. My speeds are vehicle speeds, thusly I ride on the roadway.

Old April 26th 05, 07:12 PM
Brent P

In article >, ZombyWoof wrote:

> I think the same rules on the road apply as on the sea, slower
> vehicles have the right of way.

No, see the reference. regular rules of the road. 'share the road' signs
are aimed at the idiots who think they can run bicyclists off the road
just because.

Old April 26th 05, 11:33 PM
RichA

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:10:50 -0500,
(Brent P) wrote:

>In article >, RichA wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:58:19 -0500,

>> (Brent P) wrote:
>>
>>>In article >, Joe wrote:

(Brent P) wrote in

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

>>>Not my fault you don't know the first thing about bicycling. Maybe you
>>>should refrain from commenting on things you don't know about.
>>>
>>>BTW 5 year olds ride on the sidewalk. Adults ride on the roadway.
>>>

>> Stupid rule. What's worse, hitting a pedestrian with a bike
>> or hitting a bike rider with a car?

>Want to get hit by a car? Ride 25mph on sidewalks. Great way to get hit
>at intersections, driveways, etc. Not to mention the curb jumping, dog
>walkers, peds, joggers, etc and so forth. Much safer on the roads.
>
>I certainly don't want to hit a ped at 25mph. And I am not about to ride
>at a walking pace. You want to ride by ped rules, you have to do ped
>speeds. My speeds are vehicle speeds, thusly I ride on the roadway.

I ride my mountain bike off-road because I'm too scared to be
on road.
-Rich
Old April 27th 05, 02:29 AM
Joe

(Brent P) wrote in
:

> In article >, Joe wrote:

(Brent P) wrote in
>> :

>>> Bicycle = vehicle. Just not motor vehicle. It's the safest way to
>>> ride btw.

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

>> That file is over 5 years old; it certainly doesn't apply to roads
>> around here. Today it's downright dangerous to follow. Anyone who
>> rides a bicycle in the same space that a car would occupy has a

death
>> wish.

> Not my fault you don't know the first thing about bicycling. Maybe

you
> should refrain from commenting on things you don't know about.
>
> BTW 5 year olds ride on the sidewalk. Adults ride on the roadway.

And morons ride where cars normally go.

Old April 27th 05, 02:34 AM
Joe

ZombyWoof > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:32:51 GMT, Joe >

wrote
> something wonderfully witty:
>
>>ZW, where'd you hear about FL re-licensing people? Last I heard it
>>would never happen because of the policital clout of all the older
>>drivers.
>>

> Happened sometime in the 90's they finally pulled my Grandma's
> license. Should have been done at least 5-years earlier. At least

my
> Dad realizes he can no longer effectively drive at night and

doesn't.

How'd they nab her to pull her license? There's no re-licensing
AFAIK, unless you're talking about renewing your license every however
many years. But now that you can do that by mail, nobody'd ever know
that they couldn't drive.

Hell, there are some people down in my parents' condo that can't even
see their keys but they still drive..

>>BTW, I see lots of people yakking on cell phones doing 90 (only

10mph
>>slower than 100) down I-75 here in Broward County. None of them

have
>>a clue.
>>

> Hell I've seen em yanking on a cell phone, smoking and drinking a

cup
> of coffee too. Must be driving with their prick or something.
>>
>>ZombyWoof > wrote in
m:

USA

the

though

going

ticket.

on

>>> Many fines in Germany, and other parts of Europe are income based,
>>> you do not want to be in the position of having a really good job
>>> and get a ticket. Their fines are designed to sting rather badly.

nation

all.

got

And,

conscious

>>> And I would be right behind you backing you up 100%. As a nation

on
>>> a whole compared to the majority of European drivers we really are
>>> incompetent. When Germans first began importing cars to the US

they
>>> could understand the need for cup holders. One of the reason many
>>> American drivers multi-process while driving is our speed limits

are
>>> too slow. At 100mph one is fully concentrated on driving and

would
>>> not be talking on a cell-phone, eating a Big Mac and slurp on a

Big
>>> Gulp all at the same time. However, since we are a nation of

lowest
>>> common denominator laws we will always have laws based on the

lowest
>>> skill set as opposed to the highest with no requirement for skills
>>> improvement. At least Florida has started re-licensing people

once
>>> they reach a certain age and are refusing to renew licenses to

those
>>> who can't maintain even our low ass skill set.

Add

moreso.

misses

actually

>>> Better policing as well. Right now all the damn cops focus on is
>>> catching those who are exceeding the speed limit. In the area I
>>> live in the biggest problem is tailgaters. The two major

accidents
>>> I've been in during the ten years I have lived here have both been
>>> rear-enders with some idiot running into me both resulting in some
>>> pretty major damage. I bet easily 80% of the accidents here

locally
>>> are because of tailgating, but the cops never pull anyone over for
>>> it.

catch

and

>>> I think we all have two or three in our families that we could

point
>>> out that shouldn't be behind the wheel of a go-cart, let alone an
>>> automobile. More and more the manufacturers are focusing on

drivers
>>> like your SIL coming up with traction control systems, anti-lock
>>> brakes, stabilization control systems, and of course all of the
>>> safety equipment so that when they are in an accident Darwin

doesn't
>>> come into play and they are naturally selected out.

more

Old April 27th 05, 05:24 PM
Brent P

In article > , Joe wrote:
> (Brent P) wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >, Joe wrote:

(Brent P) wrote in
>>> :

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

>>> That file is over 5 years old; it certainly doesn't apply to roads
>>> around here. Today it's downright dangerous to follow. Anyone who
>>> rides a bicycle in the same space that a car would occupy has a

> death
>>> wish.

>> Not my fault you don't know the first thing about bicycling. Maybe

> you
>> should refrain from commenting on things you don't know about.
>>
>> BTW 5 year olds ride on the sidewalk. Adults ride on the roadway.

> And morons ride where cars normally go.

You have a great deal of ignorance.

You might not want to speak of things you know nothing about.