CHP crackdown along I-80 between Sacramento and Reno. Good!

Old May 31st 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
223rem[_2_]

Default CHP crackdown along I-80 between Sacramento and Reno. Good!

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12477874?source=rss

A Folks, if you are going to Reno, you have been warned. The Highway
Patrol is cracking down big-time in an effort to reduce speeding and
crashes on I-80 from the Sacramento County line to Colfax. Officers
issued over 700 tickets last weekend. There was an average of 585
crashes on this highway from 2003 to 2007, but beefed-up enforcement
is credited with reducing the number to 414 last year, nearly a 30
percent decline. The average speed of those cited: 85 mph. The CHP
will set up in two locations — at Clipper Gap and at the Penryn Road
off-ramp. Drivers have a tendency to slow down when they spot the
first checkpoint, then zoom off afterward. Bad move.

I know posters here hate the "speed kills" slogan, but there is truth
to it, especially on downhill curves as on that portion of I80. When
going a bit too fast downhill in a curve most people follow their
instincts and brake, or suddenly take their foot of the gas, or even
down shift and they spin out. In "normal" conditions you can get away
with these things, but it's easy to take all weight off the rear
wheels going downhill. It takes a bit of training to do the
counterintuitive thing and keep your foot on the gas. The cops are
doing these people a service in this case. Actually they're doing
everyone a service, you dont want to have one of these idiots spin out
in front of you.