'99 TJ Lift Kit to get 35"?

Old July 1st 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
griffin[_3_]

Default '99 TJ Lift Kit to get 35"?

I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I want to
upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best route and what
brand of kit is the best bang without spending too much?

I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering
t-case, etc components.

What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?

Thanks

Old July 1st 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jeff

griffin wrote:
> I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I want
> to upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best route and
> what brand of kit is the best bang without spending too much?
>
> I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering
> t-case, etc components.
>

> What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?
>
> Thanks

6" long arm would be the best with 35", but 4" with a 1" body lift
should be workable with some rub on articulation.
The short list: Dana 44 rear, SYE +CV Driveshaft, 4 Wheel Disks brakes,
possibly upgraded front brakes, minimum 4.88 gears, properly backspaced
rims, or wheel spacers, a saw-all and a body grinder.

--
jeff

Old July 1st 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Jul 1, 5:35*am, jeff > wrote:
> griffin wrote:
> > I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I want
> > to upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best route and
> > what brand of kit is the best bang without spending too much?

> > I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering
> > t-case, etc components.

> > What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?

> > Thanks

> 6" long arm would be the best with 35", but 4" with a 1" body lift
> should be workable with some rub on articulation.
> The short list: Dana 44 rear, SYE +CV Driveshaft, 4 Wheel Disks brakes,
> possibly upgraded front brakes, minimum 4.88 gears, properly backspaced
> rims, or wheel spacers, a saw-all and a body grinder.
>
> --
> jeff

JP magazine had an article on fitting 35s on a TJ with no lift. Here
is the link:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui...ing/index.html
Old July 1st 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

griffin wrote:
> I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I
> want to upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best
> route and what brand of kit is the best bang without spending too
> much?
> I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering
> t-case, etc components.
>

> What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?

The melting point of your credit card.

(couldn't resist)

The higher you get the more it becomes critical to watch the alignment
and mounting bolts. I'd be paying close attention to where the power
steering box attaches to the frame. This has been known to be a weak spot.
http://www.quadratec.com/category/Steering+Boxes/151/

in particular.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_58.htm

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old July 2nd 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

On Jun 30, 7:34*pm, "griffin" > wrote:
> I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I want to
> upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best route and what
> brand of kit is the best bang without spending too much?
>
> I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering
> t-case, etc components.
>
> What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?
>
> Thanks

I have on 05 with a 4.5 RE lift with cv shaft etc.

If you go that high I doubt, a transfer case drop will avoid the
vibes. You should allocate more funds for a CV shaft too. 400
bucks.

I don't know what your gearing is in your diff's, but I guarantee if
you go with 35's on stock gearing your tj will be a snail on the
road. I don't know if you manual or auto trans, if it's manual, you
will probably shutter when taking off from a stop, and kiss your top
gear good bye because you won't ever have use for it. If its auto and
has OD, that won't see any use either.
Old July 2nd 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

From the article: "To do this we did some minor sheetmetal trimming, added
in some trick mail-order parts, did a pinch of fabrication, and replaced the
factory hood and front fenders."

Yea... right. It would be cheaper to put a lift on it. By the time you get
done buying parts and having them painted to match and all that brewhah. Not
to mention chopping away at your sheet metal.

K.

Old July 3rd 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

On Jul 2, 3:39*pm, "L.W.\(ßill\)Hughes III"
> wrote:
> * * Remember the Real Jeeps are built trying to keep the center of gravity
> as low as possible, so there are many compromises. Like yours is designed to
> fall over just looking at a side hill:http://www.billhughes.com/temp/HighC...ravityRoll.mpg
> * * * * God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> * * * *

Hey Bill,

That link din't work. Please report the correct link. Thanks bro!
Old July 3rd 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Jul 2, 4:22*pm, "Kate" > wrote:
> From the article: "To do this we did some minor sheetmetal trimming, added
> in some trick mail-order parts, did a pinch of fabrication, and replaced the
> factory hood and front fenders."
>
> Yea... right. It would be cheaper to put a lift on it. By the time you get
> done buying parts and having them painted to match and all that brewhah. Not
> to mention chopping away at your sheet metal.
>
> K.
>
> "nrs" > wrote in message

> On Jul 1, 5:35 am, jeff > wrote:
>

> > griffin wrote:
> > > I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I want
> > > to upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best route and
> > > what brand of kit is the best bang without spending too much?

> > > I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering
> > > t-case, etc components.

> > > What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?

> > > Thanks

> > 6" long arm would be the best with 35", but 4" with a 1" body lift
> > should be workable with some rub on articulation.
> > The short list: Dana 44 rear, SYE +CV Driveshaft, 4 Wheel Disks brakes,
> > possibly upgraded front brakes, minimum 4.88 gears, properly backspaced
> > rims, or wheel spacers, a saw-all and a body grinder.

> > --
> > jeff

> JP magazine had an article on fitting 35s on a TJ with no lift. *Here
> is the link:
>
> http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui...rangler_tj...- Hide quoted text -

It depends on how good you want it to look. If you are willing to
forego looks then it can be done very cheaply by just cutting
sheetmetal and figuring out how to remount some things that go on the
inside of the fenders. If you want it to look good, you will spend
big $$$.
Old July 3rd 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Jun 30, 9:34*pm, "griffin" > wrote:
> I've got a '99 TJ Sport 4L with a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires. I want to
> upgrade to 35" and get some added clearance. What's my best route and what
> brand of kit is the best bang without spending too much?
>
> I was considering the $1000 Skyjacker 4" that comes with the lowering
> t-case, etc components.
>
> What things do I have to worry about if I do this upgrade?
>
> Thanks

The main problem is going to be the stock axles. An upgrade to
Wagoneer Dana 44s front and rear would be the adequate way to go. I
have seen these snap with 35" tires so to really have a good margin of
strength you would ideally get some Dana 60s.

0" Lift suspension kit ? Blabber Jeep 3 March 23rd 08 03:17 AM
GC 2001 - lift gate + lift window won't open P.Schuman Jeep 0 October 9th 07 03:49 PM
upgrade 2.5" lift kit for new 35" tires? Lee Jeep 3 March 13th 07 02:28 PM
Help. Considering OME 2 or 2.5" lift nawt2smart Jeep 1 September 9th 06 01:42 AM
Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift vs. Spring Over River Horse Jeep 4 March 3rd 05 01:55 AM