'99 GC - Won't Crank in Park - New Shift Position Switch

Old August 10th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

Default '99 GC - Won't Crank in Park - New Shift Position Switch

'99 GC 125k miles

Car occasionally would not crank in park. Would always crank in
neutral.

Replaced shifter position switch. Same problem.

Thoughts?

Chip L

Old August 10th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Chip L wrote:
> '99 GC 125k miles
>
> Car occasionally would not crank in park. Would always crank in
> neutral.
>
> Replaced shifter position switch. Same problem.
>
> Thoughts?

If it's not the neutral safety switch then it's the harness
or an issue with the linkage. Hows the engine and transmission
mounts? if they sag it can affect the linkage geometry.

Here is a pic of bad mounts from my ZJ
http://revbeergoggles.com/motormount/

--
DougW

Old August 10th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:33:40 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Chip L wrote:
>> '99 GC 125k miles
>>
>> Car occasionally would not crank in park. Would always crank in
>> neutral.
>>
>> Replaced shifter position switch. Same problem.
>>
>> Thoughts?

>If it's not the neutral safety switch then it's the harness
>or an issue with the linkage. Hows the engine and transmission
>mounts? if they sag it can affect the linkage geometry.
>
>Here is a pic of bad mounts from my ZJ
>http://revbeergoggles.com/motormount/

Are you called the neutral switch the shifter postion switch? Nuetral
switch is usually in/on tranny. If it was replaced then linkage may be
out of adjustment.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old August 10th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

Linkage adjustment.

The shift lever is in Park, but the Neutral Safety Switch is not in the
right position. Can you push the lever more to the P setting and get the car
to start better?

I once owned a Mustang that would not always start in P. I simply had to
push the shifter more to P to get the safety switch to be happy.

ups.com...

Old August 10th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

SnoMan wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:33:40 -0500, "DougW"
> > wrote:
>
>> Chip L wrote:
>>> '99 GC 125k miles
>>>
>>> Car occasionally would not crank in park. Would always crank in
>>> neutral.
>>>
>>> Replaced shifter position switch. Same problem.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

>> If it's not the neutral safety switch then it's the harness
>> or an issue with the linkage. Hows the engine and transmission
>> mounts? if they sag it can affect the linkage geometry.
>>
>> Here is a pic of bad mounts from my ZJ
>> http://revbeergoggles.com/motormount/

> Are you called the neutral switch the shifter postion switch? Nuetral
> switch is usually in/on tranny. If it was replaced then linkage may be
> out of adjustment.

Yea. there is only one switch in the ZJ/WJ line and that is the one
in the transmission.

--
DougW

Old August 11th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

On Aug 10, 2:59 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> Linkage adjustment.
>
> The shift lever is in Park, but the Neutral Safety Switch is not in the
> right position. Can you push the lever more to the P setting and get the car
> to start better?
>
> I once owned a Mustang that would not always start in P. I simply had to
> push the shifter more to P to get the safety switch to be happy.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to forward your comments to my
tech....

Chip L

Old August 11th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"Chip L" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 10, 2:59 pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>> Linkage adjustment.
>>
>> The shift lever is in Park, but the Neutral Safety Switch is not in the
>> right position. Can you push the lever more to the P setting and get the
>> car
>> to start better?
>>
>> I once owned a Mustang that would not always start in P. I simply had to
>> push the shifter more to P to get the safety switch to be happy.
>>

> Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to forward your comments to my
> tech....

After you do that, send him a Dear John letter. You need a tech that knows
this already ...

crank position sensor mw3 BMW 3 May 3rd 07 09:09 PM
325i 92 Automatic shift problem - will not shift into Park Jeffrey BMW 1 September 22nd 06 03:24 PM
Crank position sensor Brian Saturn 0 October 20th 05 01:03 AM
Crank position sensor - UK supplier please Diverman Jeep 6 June 11th 05 08:01 PM
Help Crank Position Sensor for 89 Cherokee LTD L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 17 February 8th 05 07:35 AM