'GC - Emergency Brake Light always on...

Old November 23rd 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

Default 'GC - Emergency Brake Light always on...

'94 GC 160k miles.

Dash emergency brake light indicator always on.

Pulled armrest box to get to switch at emergency brake arm. Cleaned
and adjusted to ensure contact. Light still on whether brake on or
off, whether terminal is on or off at switc.

Thought appreciated. Thx

Chip L

Old November 23rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Spdloader

Low fluid in master cylinder?

Spdloader

ups.com...

Old November 23rd 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Outatime[_1_]

Chip L wrote:

> '94 GC 160k miles.
>
> Dash emergency brake light indicator always on.

It's probably not the E-brake switch; more likely the differential
pressure switch in the master cylinder, indicating partial hydraulic
system failure. This is not a good thing and should be remedied
quickly. Sometimes these switches must be physically 'reset' after a MC
problem has already been repaired. You can check this by pulling the
wire harness from the switch to see if the light goes out.
Old November 23rd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Chip L wrote:
> '94 GC 160k miles.
>
> Dash emergency brake light indicator always on.

The big red BRAKE light comes on if the parking
brake is on -or-

1) There is a leak in the front or rear brake
system and the proportioning/safety valve has
shut down that side

2) brake fluid is low or brake linings are
almost worn out.

I'd start by checking the fluid level and then
the disc and drum brakes for wear or fluid.

--
DougW

Old November 23rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

As the others mentioned it could be a brake failure warning. In my one
experience it was a master cylinder seal failure between the front and rear
brake systems.

In my WJ the switch was bad.

Note the "down-home' redneck engineering.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2104237649`

ups.com...

Old November 23rd 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

thanks all. Didn't realize that it was tied into the hydraulic system.
My daughter has had the car at college and it was VERY low on fluid (ie
no fluid visible) in one of the vessels when she came home for fall
break.

I'm sure thats it..

Chip L

Old November 24th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

There might be a leak or the brake pads worn dangerously thin if the fluid
was that low..

Get them checked soon.

oups.com...

Old November 24th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Outatime[_1_]

Chip L wrote:

> thanks all. Didn't realize that it was tied into the hydraulic system.
> My daughter has had the car at college and it was VERY low on fluid (ie
> no fluid visible) in one of the vessels when she came home for fall
> break.

Mystery solved. If no fluid is visible, there may be a leak or the
brakes are extremely worn and require replacement. The seals in the
master cylinder may have also been damaged from the lack of fluid. Have
everything examined and serviced before she drives it again.

Something for you to ponder as a FAR more important issue than the
braking system on her Jeep: the need to regularly check vital fluids.

Take her aside for 10 mins, open the hood, and show her how to check all
important fluid levels, then have her do it while you're standing there
to be sure she knows how. This is a very important skill for young
ladies to have, and it is an important lesson that parents should teach
any aspiring driver.
Old November 24th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

She really needs an automotive education.

When the Brake failure warning light comes on, the vehicle is no longer
safe for the road until it has been determined the failure.

When one reservoir goes empty, it puts serious stress on the seal
between the master cylinder chambers which can lead to a 'total' failure
there 'very' soon after one goes dry.

When this happens, the brake pedal goes to the floor and the vehicle has
only the emergency brake left.

Does she know how to stop a vehicle using only the emergency brake?
Does the emergency brake work?

There are other red lights that mean 'stop now' too. One is the oil
light another is the temperature light and the other is the alternator
light.

The oil and temp can mean engine failure if the vehicle is still driven.

I borrowed a niece's vehicle once and the oil light was on. 'oh is that
what that means' was her response as we figured there was only one
quart left in the now destroyed engine. It went to the scrap yard soon
after.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old November 24th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

Good points all.

We've owned this car since '94. It was OK when she was driving around
our small town (high school was a mile away). She is now 2 hours f/
home and uses this 13 year old car to commute and go on weekend trips.
I have not been comfortable with her driving the car for several
months.

I bought a '99 GC w/ 115k miles last week which we are picking up
tomorrow AM. Mechanically, it seems to be a much better car than the
'94 has been in a long time (if ever). The service and CarFax check
out.

I really appreciate all your input.

Only problem now is that when I pulled the plastic sensor out at the
master cylinder, I stripped the entire end off while reinstalling. So
the metal plunger and plastic thread are in the master cylinder, but
the nut and terminal have torn off. At least I have a few days to get
it out....

Chip L