'99 GC - Dash won't dim

Old November 26th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

Default '99 GC - Dash won't dim

'99 GC 115k miles. Owned: 1 day.

Dash won't dim or interior lights come on by rotating switch on light
switch. For what its worth, car has an after market radio in it.

Thoughts appreciated.

Chip L

Old November 26th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Need a little more information. Tell me if I am correct. The dash lights
come on, but will not dim? When you rotate the knob counter-clockwise, the
interior light comes on, but if you rotate clock-wise, the interior light
goes off, but will not dim the dash lights?

If the above is true, then it sounds like the dimmer has died.

HTH

Carl

ps.com...

Old November 26th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

The dash lights come on with the lights but do not dim w/ the adj of
the knob. The knob has no affect on dash or interior lights.

Old November 26th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Probably a bad switch in the knob. Not sure if it's a dealer item or a
junkyard item.

Carl

oups.com...

Old November 26th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Isn't there a second dedicated dash dimmer switch?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old November 26th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Hippie

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Isn't there a second dedicated dash dimmer switch?
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
> Chip L wrote:
>>
>> '99 GC 115k miles. Owned: 1 day.
>>
>> Dash won't dim or interior lights come on by rotating switch on light
>> switch. For what its worth, car has an after market radio in it.
>>
>> Thoughts appreciated.
>>
>> Chip L

I have a '93 that has a separate switch for the headlights/park lights,
and the interior lights. To dim the dash lights, and turn on the interior,
you move the second switch. Mine is located on the left side of the dash,
below the light switch. I'm not used to having a switch on the dash in a
vehicle, so just about every time I drive at night, I first turn on the
windshield wipers....
Hippie

Old November 26th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L

Mike I also have a '94 GC. It has the slider dimmer on the dash. This
'99 has it on the stick

Old November 26th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

My 2000 also has it on the headlight switch. Clockwise to time, counter
clockwise to brighten. Counter clockwise past the 'click' to turn on
interior lights.

Carl

ups.com...

Old November 26th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I would next suspect the stereo wiring.... I see folks that connect up
the wrong wire to dash lights thinking the radio lights will come on
with the headlight switch. This can be a power line for the power
antenna or remote not a light wire like the old ones had.

Mike

Old November 26th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Errr Dim, not time...

Carl

Dash lights out bokuglen Mazda 7 June 5th 06 03:33 PM
sebring dash trim fred Chrysler 0 February 7th 06 03:01 AM
Rust ate my dash (need opinions/experience) brianc Jeep 2 October 16th 05 08:09 PM
Adding dash speakers to '95 Lebaron mm Chrysler 0 October 16th 05 04:15 AM
1998 Grand Cherokee, Dash Lighting Grounding Wire? [email protected] Jeep 0 June 28th 05 08:09 PM