Slick 50 - FROM THE BEGINNING?

Old March 16th 05, 10:49 PM
Rebecca Webb

Default Slick 50 - FROM THE BEGINNING?

First, a thank you to all who contributed to making my Ford Contour last
to 156K before I traded it in.

Now I've got a 2004 Ford Taurus, purchased in February at 20K miles
(Certified pre-owned, 6 years/75K warranty). I'm ready for my first oil
change. Having a debate with the dealer mechanic. I was going to have
them put in Slick 50, which my dad insists is a great preventative: an
engine lubricated with Slick 50 every 50,000 miles from the very beginning
won't experience engine part break-down, he says.

The dealer argues. Oil today (I'll be using 5-20) is so good, you don't
need Slick 50 and will NOT suffer any engine part damage until... well,
don't start using it until 80K, after your warranty expires, he says. My
paranoid internal reaction: "You want me to neglect the slick 50 for the
first 80K so that the second the warranty expires, I'll start having
unceasing engine problems."

Thoughts? I used Slick 50 in the contour from the get-go (bought it 3
years old with 30K on it).

RW

--
--------------------------------------
"I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.
Old March 16th 05, 11:09 PM
Teknical

"Rebecca Webb" > wrote in message
> First, a thank you to all who contributed to making my Ford Contour last
> to 156K before I traded it in.
>
> Now I've got a 2004 Ford Taurus, purchased in February at 20K miles
> (Certified pre-owned, 6 years/75K warranty). I'm ready for my first oil
> change. Having a debate with the dealer mechanic. I was going to have
> them put in Slick 50, which my dad insists is a great preventative: an
> engine lubricated with Slick 50 every 50,000 miles from the very beginning
> won't experience engine part break-down, he says.
>
> The dealer argues. Oil today (I'll be using 5-20) is so good, you don't
> need Slick 50 and will NOT suffer any engine part damage until... well,
> don't start using it until 80K, after your warranty expires, he says. My
> paranoid internal reaction: "You want me to neglect the slick 50 for the
> first 80K so that the second the warranty expires, I'll start having
> unceasing engine problems."
>
> Thoughts? I used Slick 50 in the contour from the get-go (bought it 3
> years old with 30K on it).
>
> RW

> "I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.
> "We're very good at counting to six."
> http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~webbrl/SalazarsOrphans/

If you want to be nice to your engine, use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a
quality filter and leave the snake oils on the shelf.

Old March 17th 05, 12:27 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Teknical wrote:
> If you want to be nice to your engine, use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a
> quality filter and leave the snake oils on the shelf.

Ditto. I don't see how you could do better.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 17th 05, 01:45 AM
Tom Adkins

Rebecca Webb wrote:
> First, a thank you to all who contributed to making my Ford Contour last
> to 156K before I traded it in.
>
> Now I've got a 2004 Ford Taurus, purchased in February at 20K miles
> (Certified pre-owned, 6 years/75K warranty). I'm ready for my first oil
> change. Having a debate with the dealer mechanic. I was going to have
> them put in Slick 50, which my dad insists is a great preventative: an
> engine lubricated with Slick 50 every 50,000 miles from the very beginning
> won't experience engine part break-down, he says.
>
> The dealer argues. Oil today (I'll be using 5-20) is so good, you don't
> need Slick 50 and will NOT suffer any engine part damage until... well,
> don't start using it until 80K, after your warranty expires, he says. My
> paranoid internal reaction: "You want me to neglect the slick 50 for the
> first 80K so that the second the warranty expires, I'll start having
> unceasing engine problems."
>
> Thoughts? I used Slick 50 in the contour from the get-go (bought it 3
> years old with 30K on it).
>
> RW

Weeelll, here goes.
Oil additives are mostly snake oil, period. There is no substitute for regular oil
changes with quality oil. (I prefer synthetic myself).
In 1979 I bought a 1978 Mustang II with a 2.3L motor. Those motors were famous for
lack of oil to the camshaft, cam failures, etc. From 4500miles to 190,000 miles I used
a can of Wynns Friction Proofing in the oil at each oil change. The car was scrapped
by another owner at ~220,000 miles still "running".
Would the motor have gone that many miles without the Wynns? Maybe, but there is no
way to tell. I saw many of these motors go into the upper 100Ks without failure and
without the Wynns FP.
If you change your oil with quality oil and a quality filter, there is no reason it
will not last 100K or more. After 150K it's a crapshoot, regardless of oil or
additives. If there is a casting flaw somewhere in the motor, or anything like that,
no additive in the world will stop the inevitible.
Slick 50 will certainly not harm your motor, but there is no real way to tell if
there is any benefit. If Pop insists on it, pour it in. Then you will both be happy.

Regards, Tom
Old March 17th 05, 02:16 AM
Bob M.

"Tom Adkins" > wrote in message
> Slick 50 will certainly not harm your motor, but there is no real way to
> tell if there is any benefit. If Pop insists on it, pour it in. Then you
> will both be happy.
>
> Regards, Tom

Slick 50 and it's ilk will definitely harm your motor. The PTFE (Teflon) in
it plugs the tiny oil passages, effectively starving that part of the engine
for oil, greatly -increasing- wear.

Plus, the makers of Slick 50 were busted by the FTC about 5 years ago for
deceptive advertising.

The OP should stay away from it. Regular oil changes with regular oil, not
the $expensive Mobil 1, will work just fine. If you don't race your car,
regular oil will work just fine.

Old March 17th 05, 02:19 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Rebecca Webb opined in :

> First, a thank you to all who contributed to making my Ford Contour last
> to 156K before I traded it in.
>
> Now I've got a 2004 Ford Taurus, purchased in February at 20K miles
> (Certified pre-owned, 6 years/75K warranty). I'm ready for my first oil
> change. Having a debate with the dealer mechanic. I was going to have
> them put in Slick 50, which my dad insists is a great preventative: an
> engine lubricated with Slick 50 every 50,000 miles from the very beginning
> won't experience engine part break-down, he says.

Lots of "Dad's" swear by Pennzoil and Fram Filters, too...

Just use what the dealer supplies or Mobil 1, forget the additives and when
he asks you about the slick 50, say "Sure do, Dad"

Motorcraft or Purolator filters, never FRAM

And i'm older than he is probably

Old March 17th 05, 02:23 AM
pick one

"Bob M." > wrote in message
> "Tom Adkins" > wrote in message
>> Slick 50 will certainly not harm your motor, but there is no real way to
>> tell if there is any benefit. If Pop insists on it, pour it in. Then you will
>> both be happy.
>>
>> Regards, Tom

> Slick 50 and it's ilk will definitely harm your motor. The PTFE (Teflon) in
> it plugs the tiny oil passages, effectively starving that part of the engine
> for oil, greatly -increasing- wear.
>
> Plus, the makers of Slick 50 were busted by the FTC about 5 years ago for
> deceptive advertising.
>
> The OP should stay away from it. Regular oil changes with regular oil, not the
> $expensive Mobil 1, will work just fine. If you don't race your car, regular
> oil will work just fine.

Slick 50 also almost did not make it to market because of this. Dupont did not
want to sell the PTFE ( Dupont is the creator of PTFE ) to the makers of Slick
50 for that very fact and warned the makers to not produce the product for it's
intended purposes. The makers of Slick 50 as far as I know sued and won, Dupont
had no choice.

Old March 17th 05, 02:45 AM
scott(remove_to_reply)

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
> Teknical wrote:
>
>>If you want to be nice to your engine, use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a
>>quality filter and leave the snake oils on the shelf.

> Ditto. I don't see how you could do better.

I agree. 2000 Taurus with a duratec and 156K miles. Mobil1 from the
start. Not a hiccup yet.
Old March 17th 05, 03:08 AM
Jeff

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> Rebecca Webb opined in :
>
>> First, a thank you to all who contributed to making my Ford Contour last
>> to 156K before I traded it in.
>>
>> Now I've got a 2004 Ford Taurus, purchased in February at 20K miles
>> (Certified pre-owned, 6 years/75K warranty). I'm ready for my first oil
>> change. Having a debate with the dealer mechanic. I was going to have
>> them put in Slick 50, which my dad insists is a great preventative: an
>> engine lubricated with Slick 50 every 50,000 miles from the very
>> beginning
>> won't experience engine part break-down, he says.
>>

> Lots of "Dad's" swear by Pennzoil and Fram Filters, too...
>
> Just use what the dealer supplies or Mobil 1, forget the additives and
> when
> he asks you about the slick 50, say "Sure do, Dad"
>
> Motorcraft or Purolator filters, never FRAM

I agree completely. I would go with Mobil 1, but Motorcraft should be fine.

Kendell and valvoline are good oils, too; NAPA and Wix are very good filters
as well.

> And i'm older than he is probably

I'm not, I think. ;-)

Jeff