'04 cavalier: splice fuel line with rubber hose?

Old May 3rd 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

Default '04 cavalier: splice fuel line with rubber hose?

'04 Cavalier has a leaking fuel filter. Freeing the nut on the pipe is
not going well. I'm thinking to cut the pipe, fit a short stub to the
new filter, and splice the stub to the cut pipe with rubber gas hose.

Is this an 'OMG, don't do that!' thing???

Thanks,
George
Old May 4th 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-13755-800-156.aspx
Old May 4th 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
john

Yes. OMG, don't do that.

Never splice a rubber hose in place of a steel pipe. Properly repair
it using the correct parts. I won't even use steel pipe repair
couplers as these things are cheap.

Old May 4th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
supraman_88

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:59:52 -0400, George wrote:

> '04 Cavalier has a leaking fuel filter. Freeing the nut on the pipe is
> not going well. I'm thinking to cut the pipe, fit a short stub to the new
> filter, and splice the stub to the cut pipe with rubber gas hose.
>
> Is this an 'OMG, don't do that!' thing???
>
> Thanks,
> George

I had a Celica that had rust holes all over the fuel line. I cut the
line, took some FUEL LINE rubber hose that had about the same ID as the
steel line's OD, slipped the steel line in and clamped it. I had to make
about 6 patches that way, and it worked well. But I was able to get the
steel line to touch inside the rubber line, so it didn't have to span very
large distances. I think the biggest gap was less than an inch.

Old May 5th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Harry Face

A shop in town last November cut about 9 inches of my Bonneville's fuel
line out and replaced with a rubber hose. The connections were so rusted
they couldn't be broken loose. Now the new filter has a short straight
pipe with a rubber hose clamped to it and two more clamps where it
overlaps the forward fuel line.

In February the two forward clamps actually broke in half, possible from
driving through deep snow & ice for several days.

One morning I started the car with the driver door open and gas was
shooting out all over the place, near where my foot was. I smelled the
gas first then looked down ans saw the gas sprying all over.

If I had started the car with the door closed I wold of been driving
away 20 seconds later and the gas would of been hitting the hot exhaust
pipes, & coverter.

Then the car would of been on fire.

Its best not to splice gas lines with rubber hose, If I knew this shop
was going to do that I would of not had them "try" to change the filter.

harryface
91 Bonneville 321,579
05 Park Avenue 98,098

Old May 5th 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

(Harry Face) wrote in news:6260-4BE1824B-2264
@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net:

> A shop in town last November cut about 9 inches of my Bonneville's fuel
> line out and replaced with a rubber hose. The connections were so rusted
> they couldn't be broken loose. Now the new filter has a short straight
> pipe with a rubber hose clamped to it and two more clamps where it
> overlaps the forward fuel line.
>
> In February the two forward clamps actually broke in half, possible from
> driving through deep snow & ice for several days.
>
> One morning I started the car with the driver door open and gas was
> shooting out all over the place, near where my foot was. I smelled the
> gas first then looked down ans saw the gas sprying all over.
>
> If I had started the car with the door closed I wold of been driving
> away 20 seconds later and the gas would of been hitting the hot exhaust
> pipes, & coverter.
>
> Then the car would of been on fire.
>
> Its best not to splice gas lines with rubber hose, If I knew this shop
> was going to do that I would of not had them "try" to change the filter.

My mechanic says that high-pressure fuel line should NEVER have clamps on
it. Steel line should always have proper flare connections (looks like a
large brake-line fitting). Lines with rubber portions should have
purpose-built permanent high-pressure connections to the steel part.

--
Tegger
Old May 5th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:59:52 -0400, George > wrote:

>'04 Cavalier has a leaking fuel filter. Freeing the nut on the pipe is
>not going well. I'm thinking to cut the pipe, fit a short stub to the
>new filter, and splice the stub to the cut pipe with rubber gas hose.
>
>Is this an 'OMG, don't do that!' thing???

Thanks to all who posted. I decided to use pipe, and not hose - besides
all the advice against hose, this filter is mostly supported by the
pipe. So, even a short hose splice might have been subject to undue
flexing.

And, in case anyone ever googles this thread, and I'm not the only one
who didn't know this, ... if you replace the outlet pipe, you need to
use something like http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-13755-800-156.aspx
(per Mr. Nelson), or equal. The point being, where the pipe attaches to
the filter requires an o-ring fitting, not a flare or bubble.

Old May 7th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"George" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who posted. I decided to use pipe, and not hose - besides
> all the advice against hose, this filter is mostly supported by the
> pipe. So, even a short hose splice might have been subject to undue
> flexing.

You were wise not to go to rubber tubing.
I think you are saying you are going with metallic "tubing" instead,
and that is a good thing.
"Pipe" may not be the best word to use in this situation, for posterity.

Old May 7th 10, 07:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_41_]

Harry,

Are you coming to Houston this May?

Paul

Fuel Line Splice Harry Face Technology 3 August 7th 09 05:17 PM
Can you replace just the rubber hose on a transmission cool line? AFX Chrysler 12 September 2nd 08 10:27 AM
YJ fuel line return hose leak Peter Parker Jeep 8 September 11th 05 09:16 PM
Changing a fuel line hose..quick connectors [email protected] Chrysler 6 August 5th 05 03:17 PM
FA: 100 Ft. 3/8 Rubber Air Hose New In Box TJ Technology 0 March 14th 05 02:30 PM