Gasohol Mileage versus Gas Mileage

Old July 19th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_3_]

Default Gasohol Mileage versus Gas Mileage

Gasohol Mileage versus Gas Mileage...

Been doing some driving for vacation in a 2000 Chevy Malibu. I've
been averaging 28 mpg for mostly freeway. Found a gas station that
had alcohol free 91 octane so I filled up (had about 1/3 of a tank at
the time) with it. On the next leg I got 32 mpg. That's a 14%
increase in gas mileage!! Just by getting rid of most of the stupid
alcohol in the gas. And all the experts say the higher octane fuel
actually has less energy in it so if I could have found alcohol free
87 octane I'd have probably gotten even better gas mileage.
Old July 19th 15, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> Gasohol Mileage versus Gas Mileage...
>
> Been doing some driving for vacation in a 2000 Chevy Malibu. I've
> been averaging 28 mpg for mostly freeway. Found a gas station that
> had alcohol free 91 octane so I filled up (had about 1/3 of a tank at
> the time) with it. On the next leg I got 32 mpg. That's a 14%
> increase in gas mileage!! Just by getting rid of most of the stupid
> alcohol in the gas. And all the experts say the higher octane fuel
> actually has less energy in it so if I could have found alcohol free
> 87 octane I'd have probably gotten even better gas mileage.

one tank full means nothing. too many variables to have a compairason,
unless you drove the same route the same day with the same conditions. A
little wind can change it that much. KB
Old July 23rd 15, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 11:32:16 AM UTC+8, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> And all the experts say the higher octane fuel
> actually has less energy in it so if I could have found alcohol free
> 87 octane I'd have probably gotten even better gas mileage.

Who are these experts?
Hexane, heptane, octane and nonane have very similar energy content,
within 1%
Ethanol is significantly less. In gasohol, the refineries would
dump more heptane in, and the alkane mix would have pretty much the same
energy content, but the ethanol would drag it down.
What percentage of ethanol was the stuff you put in?
For E10, the MPG would only be a few percent less.

different gas, different gas mileage Ashton Crusher[_2_] Technology 48 March 16th 10 12:31 AM
Gas mileage motorhead Jeep 8 June 8th 08 06:01 AM
Does it really get you Better Gas Mileage? neakee General 4 April 26th 06 05:32 AM
GAS MILEAGE Elaine again ^,,^ Saturn 14 January 5th 06 09:09 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM