Ford Escape Hybrid -- realistic mileage?

Old January 22nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ford Escape Hybrid -- realistic mileage?

I'm looking at the Ford Escape Hybrid as an alternative to something like
the Toyota Rav-4 or Subaru Forester. My wife has a first-generation Prius
and loves it. I would buy a second Prius, but I really need something with
a bit more cargo space.

The only big question in my mind is how realistic is the mileage on the
Escape. It seems hard to believe it really gets the mileage they claim on
the highway, given how un-aerodynamic the Escape looks. Anybody have any
real-world experiences to report?

Most of my driving is my daily commute to work; 18 miles each way, about
half of which is highway, half of which is local streets, over mostly flat
terrain (New York suburbs). I do almost no inner city stop-and-go type
driving.

I'm resigned to the fact that a hybrid probably isn't a good deal from a
pure economic point of view, and that the 36/31 MPG is probably
unrealistic. I just want to make sure I'm not going to be stuck with
something getting 18 or 20.
Old January 22nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Roy Smith wrote:
> I'm looking at the Ford Escape Hybrid as an alternative to something like
> the Toyota Rav-4 or Subaru Forester.
> The only big question in my mind is how realistic is the mileage on the
> Escape.
> I just want to make sure I'm not going to be stuck with
> something getting 18 or 20.

If you baby it, expect about 25 MPG during the summer, slightly less
during the winter.
EPA estimates were put out by the Easter bunny and Santa Claus.

Old February 14th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

--What I can't figure out is *why* the mileage is so crummy? Any
clues?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Woohoo! Cheney sez
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : lawyer season's open!
Old February 15th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

steamer wrote:
> --What I can't figure out is *why* the mileage is so crummy? Any
> clues?

Yeah, my suspicion is that this hybrid has a large IC engine and small
electric. The OPPOSITE setup is what you need to get good milage.