8.5 hours to replace windshield rubber gasket?

Old November 8th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

Default 8.5 hours to replace windshield rubber gasket?

That's how much labor (at $130/hour) a local BMW dealer quoted me to replace
the gasket surrounding the windshield on an '02 530i. Has anyone had this
done? What in the world will they do for 8.5 hours??? I understand the
windshield has to come out for the gasket to be replaced, but still...

Thanks,
Pete

Old November 8th 06, 05:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Andrew Morton

Pete wrote:
> That's how much labor (at $130/hour) a local BMW dealer quoted me to
> replace the gasket surrounding the windshield on an '02 530i. Has
> anyone had this done? What in the world will they do for 8.5
> hours??? I understand the windshield has to come out for the gasket
> to be replaced, but still...

Why has it gone wrong so soon? Did you visit a wildlife park where the
monkeys pulled it apart??

How much did the independent windshield replacement company quote?

Andrew

Old November 8th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:23:37 -0500, "Pete" >
waffled on about something:

>That's how much labor (at $130/hour) a local BMW dealer quoted me to replace
>the gasket surrounding the windshield on an '02 530i. Has anyone had this
>done? What in the world will they do for 8.5 hours??? I understand the
>windshield has to come out for the gasket to be replaced, but still...
>
>Thanks,
>Pete

Sound like they are charging you for the time the glue takes to dry!

Assuming this gets replaced with the windscreen, and you have
windscreen insurance, surely it time to find a house brick... *cough*

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old November 8th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

"Andrew Morton" wrote

> Why has it gone wrong so soon? Did you visit a wildlife park where the
> monkeys pulled it apart??

No idea. I just got this car used. Unfortunately I did not notice it until
after I picked up the car. Serves me right I guess.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...isc/gasket.jpg

> How much did the independent windshield replacement company quote?

The one place I called said they won't do it at all because it's a
dealer-only item. I guess I could buy gasket from BMW and bring it to the
autoglass place, but it sounds like they've never done this before, so I'm a
little worried. Apparently the windshield is easily damaged during the
process.

Any recommendations for a reputable autoglass place in south Florida, by the
way?

Thanks,
Pete

Old November 8th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Pete" > wrote:

>That's how much labor (at $130/hour) a local BMW dealer quoted me to replace
>the gasket surrounding the windshield on an '02 530i. Has anyone had this
>done? What in the world will they do for 8.5 hours??? I understand the
>windshield has to come out for the gasket to be replaced, but still...
>
>Thanks,
>Pete

I recently had a windshield replaced, including a replacement gasket. Took
the guy slightly over an hour. The car did have to sit for awhile waiting
for the sealant to cure.
Old November 8th 06, 06:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Andrew Morton

Pete wrote:
> No idea. I just got this car used. Unfortunately I did not notice
> it until after I picked up the car. Serves me right I guess.
> http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...isc/gasket.jpg

Unlucky :-(

>> How much did the independent windshield replacement company quote?

> The one place I called said they won't do it at all because it's a
> dealer-only item. I guess I could buy gasket from BMW and bring it
> to the autoglass place, but it sounds like they've never done this
> before, so I'm a little worried.

Do you have any fancy bits like rain-activated wipers to increase the labour
time? I'm sure the dealer would explain why they reckon it would take 8.5
hours.

> Apparently the windshield is easily
> damaged during the process.

These people agree with the windshield probably breaking:
http://www.crackedwindshield.com/faq-misc.html

> Any recommendations for a reputable autoglass place in south Florida,
> by the way?

I'm on the other side of The Pond, so, no.

Of course, if you were unlucky enough for some vandal to chuck a brick
through the windshield overnight, it would get paid for on insurance - if it
works like that over there. But you seem to have used up your bad luck
already. I didn't say that.

Andrew

Old November 8th 06, 06:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

> wrote
> I recently had a windshield replaced, including a replacement gasket. Took
> the guy slightly over an hour. The car did have to sit for awhile waiting
> for the sealant to cure.

Was it replaced by the dealer or another autoglass place? Does your
5-series have the rain-sensing feature?

Pete

Old November 8th 06, 06:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

"Andrew Morton" wrote
> Do you have any fancy bits like rain-activated wipers to increase the
> labour time?

Yes.

> Of course, if you were unlucky enough for some vandal to chuck a brick
> through the windshield overnight, it would get paid for on insurance - if
> it works like that over there. But you seem to have used up your bad luck
> already. I didn't say that.

Oh no, I have lots of bad luck... bricks and all.

The thing is, if I make a claim on my insurance, they'll hike my rates for a
long time to come, so it may not be worth it...

Thanks,
Pete

Old November 8th 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

"Pete" wrote
> That's how much labor (at $130/hour) a local BMW dealer quoted me to
> replace the gasket surrounding the windshield on an '02 530i. Has anyone
> had this done? What in the world will they do for 8.5 hours??? I
> understand the windshield has to come out for the gasket to be replaced,
> but still...

I found this thread on one of the forums:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=207286

Some users claim it's just a $37 part that you can replace yourself in 30
minutes without removing the glass... hmm...

Pete

Old November 8th 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "Andrew Morton" wrote
>> Do you have any fancy bits like rain-activated wipers to increase the
>> labour time?

> Yes.
>

>> Of course, if you were unlucky enough for some vandal to chuck a brick
>> through the windshield overnight, it would get paid for on insurance - if
>> it works like that over there. But you seem to have used up your bad luck
>> already. I didn't say that.

> Oh no, I have lots of bad luck... bricks and all.
>
> The thing is, if I make a claim on my insurance, they'll hike my rates for
> a long time to come, so it may not be worth it...
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Many insurers don't treat windscreens as a claim.