newbie

Old April 27th 05, 09:30 PM
crzybus

Default newbie

alloha, fellow air-cool-heads. new to the forum and wanted to intro
myself and pose a few ?.
25 yrs, m
grad student (resource ecology)
own 73' type II
had 73' khombi camper (was rusty, but pretty trusty)

now for the ?'s

anyone know where to find a wiring harness for a 73' bus?
will the 72' harness work?

pro's vs con's of rebuilding myself vs purchasing crate motor?

thanks much for and comments/ answers!

Old April 27th 05, 10:18 PM
Jan Andersson

crzybus wrote:

> alloha, fellow air-cool-heads. new to the forum and wanted to intro
> myself and pose a few ?.

Welcome

> 25 yrs, m
> grad student (resource ecology)
> own 73' type II
> had 73' khombi camper (was rusty, but pretty trusty)
>
> now for the ?'s
>
> anyone know where to find a wiring harness for a 73' bus?
> will the 72' harness work?

You could ask www.aircooled.net if they have or know where to get a
harness of acceptable quality,
I didn't see one listed on their site for the later model bus you have.
But they have more stuff than what you see on the site so it's worth a
try. They are a quality business, and frequently join the conversation
here too.
All the contact info is available on that site, go look.

> pro's vs con's of rebuilding myself vs purchasing crate motor?

Pro: massively increased understanding of how it works, you learn a lot,
plus if and when you get it right, you get the bragging rights and the
reward of knowing you could do it. Plenty of help available through
here.
My first and most important advice: Get a second opinion on everything
you "learn" before doiung anything.
That includes everything I tell you. :-D

Con: Tons of little details you need to know, plus a couple of "special"
tools you need that aren't normally found in the toolbox of someone
who's most demanding mechanical project ever is the annual maintenance
of his lawn mower.
Ignoring the fine details will result in a less than perfectly running
engine with oil leaks and poor mileage & reduced power.

Get a Bentley manual (Robert Bentley publishing, "Officla VW repair
manual" or whatever.. they're blue) that covers the year of your engine.
(The manufacture year of the lump in the back of your vehicle may differ
from the yeasr of the vehicle itself... they've all seen quite a bit of
life by now.. )

ASK us before making decisions or big changes or doing something that's
hard to reverse.

This newsgroup is by far the best resource of information you can find
to help you through a rebuild.

Jan (your resident group King, democratically elected... based on post
count )
Old April 27th 05, 11:56 PM
Red Bug

In article >,
Jan Andersson > wrote:

> Tons of little details you need to know, plus a couple of "special"
> tools you need that aren't normally found in the toolbox of someone
> who's most demanding mechanical project ever is the annual maintenance
> of his lawn mower.
> Ignoring the fine details will result in a less than perfectly running
> engine with oil leaks and poor mileage & reduced power.
>

> Get a Bentley manual (Robert Bentley publishing, "Officla VW repair
> manual" or whatever.. they're blue) that covers the year of your engine.
> (The manufacture year of the lump in the back of your vehicle may differ
> from the yeasr of the vehicle itself... they've all seen quite a bit of
> life by now.. )
>
> ASK us before making decisions or big changes or doing something that's
> hard to reverse.

And to think I rebuilt my 1200 40 HP on the workbench in my parent's
basement when I was in High School with nothing to go by except the MUIR
book and whatever tools I had at hand! ;-)

Still runs... doesn't leak or burn oil... must 'ah got lucky! Perhaps it
has a few less HP than a blueprinted engine, but for the amount of miles
I put on it for a few months each summer, I think I'll leave well enough
alone until it starts to develop problems. It still gets oil changes,
valve adjustments, etc. but I'm hesitant to tear it apart again.

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old April 28th 05, 05:40 AM
Kidd Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote:

> Jan (your resident group King, democratically elected... based on post
> count )

If your brain was as big as your ego your head wouldn't fit into Nebraska.

Kidd (your resident group Queen, by marriage... to the disdain of all
ramva readers. "Who's your mama, bitch?")
Old April 28th 05, 11:52 AM
Tim Rogers

...........Behold your realm.

Old April 28th 05, 01:34 PM
remco

> > alloha, fellow air-cool-heads. new to the forum and wanted to intro
> > myself and pose a few ?.

From one newbie to another, "Welcome" - this group is great! Jan's right:
there are a lot of very helpful knowledgeable people on this group, very
willing to answer any question. How did people fix bugs before Gore invented
the internet and this newsgroup?

> Jan (your resident group King, democratically elected... based on post
> count )

We're not worthy.

"Well, I didn't vote for you."
"You don't vote for kings."
"Well, 'ow did you become king then?"
(let's see who remembers where that riff was from..)

Remco

Old April 28th 05, 01:59 PM
Lynn Martin

> We're not worthy.
>
> "Well, I didn't vote for you."
> "You don't vote for kings."
> "Well, 'ow did you become king then?"
> (let's see who remembers where that riff was from..)

Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here!

That's no ordinary rabbit.

We already got one.

Old April 28th 05, 03:13 PM
Remco

"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Not at all, they could be carried.
What -- a swallow carrying a coconut?
It could grip it by the husk!
It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a 1 pound coconut."

A fellow python fan!!
And here I though I threw a curveball..

Old April 29th 05, 05:38 AM
Kidd Andersson

Tim Rogers wrote:
> ..........Behold your realm.

You know, lately you've been really edgy and acting strange. I'm
starting to seriously worry about you. I'm not kidding. You jumped on
someone you thought was a troll, then APOLOGIZED for it, you made 2
slams at me recently that weren't just playing but way beyond crossing
the line when here I we were buddies, and now this that in all actuality
makes no sense... Do I need to call your wife and ask her if you've
recently switched medication? Have you been dipping into the mary-jane
box? Blood pressure medicine laced with PCP?
I'm worried, Tim.

Old April 29th 05, 11:47 AM
Tim Rogers

"Kidd Andersson" > wrote in message

> You know, lately you've been really edgy and acting

strange..............snip

..................My life has been more stressful in the last several months
than it used to be. If you knew what it's like to be bled dry by three
teenagers and also have to deal with a wife who's going through
menopause.........well.........anyway, I'm turning into John Stafford!!!!!

..........RAMVA has always been a good place to go where I can leave that
stress behind for a little while. I'll have to work on being a little nicer
I guess. But don't be talking to the wife about it. She'd rip both of our
heads off.......lol

BTW.........what was wrong with me admitting that I was wrong about Four
Play?