Fan only works on full blast !!

Old October 21st 05, 04:00 PM
andrew123

Default Fan only works on full blast !!

Hi there.

I'm a bit stumped here.

Got a Chevrolet Cavalier 1999 and I just started to use the heater the
other day to clear things. It works but only on the 3rd setting which
is full blast. The first two settings, the fan doesn't come on at
all??? Very odd.

Does anyone have any idea's?

Look foward to any replies

Andrew

Old October 21st 05, 04:07 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article .com>,
andrew123 > wrote:
>Hi there.
>
>I'm a bit stumped here.
>
>Got a Chevrolet Cavalier 1999 and I just started to use the heater the
>other day to clear things. It works but only on the 3rd setting which
>is full blast. The first two settings, the fan doesn't come on at
>all??? Very odd.
>
>Does anyone have any idea's?

Fan resistor block. While you're at it, lubricate the fan motor because
if it's binding, the added current draw will damage the block again.
--scott
Old October 22nd 05, 12:16 PM
Markr1001

Resistor the same thing happened to my dads truck last winter, and to
my car 2 years ago. i think it is pretty much a dealer part.

Old October 22nd 05, 02:36 PM
Ford Warrior

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> In article .com>,
> andrew123 > wrote:
>>Hi there.
>>
>>I'm a bit stumped here.
>>
>>Got a Chevrolet Cavalier 1999 and I just started to use the heater the
>>other day to clear things. It works but only on the 3rd setting which
>>is full blast. The first two settings, the fan doesn't come on at
>>all??? Very odd.
>>
>>Does anyone have any idea's?

> Fan resistor block. While you're at it, lubricate the fan motor because
> if it's binding, the added current draw will damage the block again.
> --scott

I actually have the same problem in a 1995 Ford E250 cargo van I bought..
The A/C and the heat fan only works on the highest setting. Also, I notice
there is an excessive draw on the battery charge as well as the running
temperature of the vehicle with the fan running. ie the charge indicator
begins to drop and the temp gauge begins to increase. Could these problems
be related? Any idea how easy/difficult and what the cost is for me to
replace the fan resistor block myself?

thanks
Jay
Old October 22nd 05, 04:07 PM
Caprice85

I had the same problem in my 85 Chevy Caprice. My low tech solution was
to rapidly switch the dial back and forth. That fixed it !! Apparently
some corrosion was built up on the low and medium settings, and the
rapid swiping back and forth scraped it off, and opened up the
electrical connection again at those terminals.

Old October 22nd 05, 06:30 PM
andrew123

Thanks very much for the replies. Saved me a lot of hunting around.

Will attack the thing on Sunday

All the best

Andrew