How to get pulley off?

Old November 14th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
justme

Default How to get pulley off?

I have a GM power steering pump with appx. 5/8" shaft and appx 6" pulley
that I cannot get off with a three-jawed puller. The shaft has a allen or
hex-type type socket in the end. I tried inserting an allen wrench in the
shaft while turning the pulley but no success.

How do I get it off?

j/b

Old November 14th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Randy & Yvette Runkle

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe that takes a special
puller made for just this purpose.

Old November 14th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
justme

Well, any news is better than none. I wonder what type of puller is
required? Do you know?

Thanks

j/b

Old November 14th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

On Nov 13, 5:44 pm, "justme" > wrote:
> I have a GM power steering pump with appx. 5/8" shaft and appx 6" pulley
> that I cannot get off with a three-jawed puller. The shaft has a allen or
> hex-type type socket in the end. I tried inserting an allen wrench in the
> shaft while turning the pulley but no success.
>
> How do I get it off?
>
> j/b

The last time I did this the pump I was working on had the inside of
the shaft threaded, and I used a special puller rented from autozone
to take the pulley off the old pump and push it back onto the new
pump. Are you sure yours isn't threaded on the inside of the shaft?

Chris
Old November 14th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kruse

On Nov 13, 9:31 pm, "justme" > wrote:
> Well, any news is better than none. I wonder what type of puller is
> required? Do you know?

I think I've seen these pullers at Harbor Freight for under $15. I
wouldn't recommend them to the
professional mechanic, but for the do-it-yourselfer, it should work.
Old November 14th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Not being a smart ass, but it is called a "Power Steering Pulley
Puller." I have Snap On's versions. Two different sizes.Work great.
There are many versions.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Some auto parts stores rent them. Any descent garage will pull it off
for you. You will need to "press" it back on. They have tools for that
also.

If your replacing the pump, a set up will come with the new pump. If
your not replacing the pump, get a bolt, a nut and a washer. (3/8" x 2
1/2" I think) As someone stated, there are threads inside the pump
shaft. These are for "replacing" the pulley. Thread the nut on the
bolt, up close to the head. Then put the washer on. Put the pulley on
the shaft and tap it lightly to get it started on the shaft. Screw the
bolt into the shaft. Have someone hold the pulley so it doesn't turn.
While holding the bolt so it will not turn, tighten the nut. This will
"puch" the pulley on. This set up usually comes with a new pump. Some
tips: Use a ratchet wrench on the nut. Get a thick, hard washer so the
nut doesn't dig into to it when tightening. Clean the inside off the
pulley with emory paper or crocuss cloth. It isn't hard to do, just a
little tricky.
Old November 14th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
BuckerooBilly

>I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe that takes a special
>puller made for just this purpose.
>"justme" > wrote in message
>>I have a GM power steering pump with appx. 5/8" shaft and appx 6" pulley
>>that I cannot get off with a three-jawed puller. The shaft has a allen or
>>hex-type type socket in the end. I tried inserting an allen wrench in
>>the shaft while turning the pulley but no success.
>>
>> How do I get it off?
>>
>> j/b

Even Harbor Freight sells a PS pulley puller:

Old November 14th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

I am entering this thread late, but have just a little word of advice. I
had a leaking PS pump
shaft seal and went this route to try to save a little money.

A machine shop pulled the pulley for me for little or nothing. A new seal
put me right back
in business....for about three months. Then the leak came back full force.

When I replaced the seal, there was no visual indication of shaft damage.

A new pump was the only cure for me.

I dont know whether this applies to your problem.

Old November 14th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
disston

*A new seal
> put me right back
> in business....for about three months. Then the leak came back full force..
>
> When I replaced the seal, there was no visual indication of shaft damage.
>
> A new pump was the only cure for me.
>
> I dont know whether this applies to your problem.

Good advice about the new seal. You may get lucky but chances are 3 to
1 that if the seal is bad now a new one will go out soon.

I have a lot of tools. Some of the best deals are the cheaper ones,
mostly from China these days, and I have some of the best, not from
China. This is one of the times you really want the expensive one. If
rental is availible try that route but if you have to buy one get the
made in USA. Snap On is great but one fom OTC will be a little
cheaper.

Even if you are only a sometimes mechanic this is a good tool to have.
They are only sometimes availible on the "on line" auction houses and
so much in demand that they ususaly go for as much as a new on.

disston

Old November 14th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I own a variety of made in America two jaw and three jaw pullers.I
bought them at pawn shops.One of my pullers has five puller arms on
it.It is a Craftsman knock off puller I bought new at the Sears
store.Check the pawn shops in your area, sometimes you can find some
real good tools at good prices.
cuhulin

more pulley help Scotty VW air cooled 4 June 3rd 07 10:01 AM
Squeaky Pulley espressomaker Ford Explorer 3 December 29th 05 04:30 PM
what is the different between 5 1/4" and 6" Pulley ? Shag VW air cooled 4 May 5th 05 10:37 PM
what is the different between 5 1/4" and 6" Pulley ? Lorem Ipsum VW air cooled 0 May 3rd 05 03:42 PM
Pulley clancy VW air cooled 0 February 9th 05 01:02 AM