Fuelmeister.

Old June 25th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Fuelmeister.

Article in my snail mail July 2008 Popular Science magazine, if I may
quote the article? (I am not too good at quoting, or anything else for
that matter)

Quote:
Green DIY.Boil Up Biofuel In Your Garage.Make your bad eating habits
finally pay off.The Fuelmeister II, produced by Renewal Fuels in Nevada,
converts used cooking oil into clean, efficient biodiesel that will run
any unmodified diesel engine.Just pour cooking oil, racing methanol, lye
and tap water into the machine's mixing cone and plug it in.The closed
- system refinery will brew some 43 gallons of diesel in about half an
hour.At roughly 70 cents a gallon, the greasy stuff can add up to big
savings and is even more cost effective if you make it in bulk to share
for sale. www.fuelmeister.com Cost: $3,100 Level Of Difficulty: 7
Audacity Meter : 6

Unquote.Check the article out on page 43 in Popular Science Magazine for
July 2008.
cuhulin

Old June 25th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

It is easier than you might believe, and should not cost anywhere near that.

The reaction is dead simple,and the only hazardous chemical components are
the lye (sodium hydroxide) and the methanol ("wood" alcohol"). Lye is also
called "caustic" (soda), and is highly alkaline. Wood alcohol of course is
poisonous
and flammable.

You simply blend these materials together at the proper ratio and stir. You
can use a pump to agitate the materials. The warmer the materials, the
faster
the conversion, but it will work without any heat at all in a few days.

After the conversion is complete, you drain the glycerine off the bottom of
the
tank, and use or dispose. The fuel, which contains methyl esters of fatty
acids,
is decanted from the upper fraction, and should be filtered before use.

It is essentially that simple.

I assume no responsibility for anyone's use of the above information as it
is not
intended to be a complete and commercial package. It is simply a transfer
of
general information, and the experimenter proceeds at his or her own risk.

I will answer some questions, if there are any, under the same "hold
harmless"
conditions.

Old June 25th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

What is needed is something like a Back To The Future car.
cuhulin

Old June 25th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Paul <Houston, Texas, USA> wrote:

>Cooking oil is bad for you.

That's not what the National Trans-Fat Council says. They say that deep-fried
foods made with hydrogenated soybean oil are an important part of every
balanced breakfast.
--scott
Old June 26th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
BuckerooBilly

>It is easier than you might believe, and should not cost anywhere near that.
>
>The reaction is dead simple,and the only hazardous chemical components are
>the lye (sodium hydroxide) and the methanol ("wood" alcohol"). Lye is also
>called "caustic" (soda), and is highly alkaline. Wood alcohol of course is
>poisonous
>and flammable.
>
>You simply blend these materials together at the proper ratio and stir. You
>can use a pump to agitate the materials. The warmer the materials, the
>faster
>the conversion, but it will work without any heat at all in a few days.
>
>After the conversion is complete, you drain the glycerine off the bottom of
>the
>tank, and use or dispose. The fuel, which contains methyl esters of fatty
>acids,
>is decanted from the upper fraction, and should be filtered before use.
>
>It is essentially that simple.
>
>I assume no responsibility for anyone's use of the above information as it
>is not
>intended to be a complete and commercial package. It is simply a transfer
>of
>general information, and the experimenter proceeds at his or her own risk.
>
>I will answer some questions, if there are any, under the same "hold
>harmless"
>conditions.

What happens to the lye?

Old June 26th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MaceFace

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Paul <Houston, Texas, USA> wrote:
> >
> >Cooking oil is bad for you.

> That's not what the National Trans-Fat Council says. They say that deep-fried
> foods made with hydrogenated soybean oil are an important part of every
> balanced breakfast.

But does it help you emotionally, as lard does, according to the Lard
Information Council?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/3...627c724f_o.gif

Old June 26th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"BuckerooBilly" > wrote in message
> What happens to the lye?

The lye falls to the bottom with the glycerine. You only use a very small
amount of the
lye catalyst...less than one percent of the total oil.