Looking for a source for Metric Carriage Bolts

Old September 18th 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
John2005

Default Looking for a source for Metric Carriage Bolts

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble finding what I would call a carriage bolt, it
looks just like a carriage bolt except that it has a spline round
shape under the head instead of a square shape that is usually under
the head of a carriage bolt. The round shoulder under the head is a
fine spline that looks about 8 mm long.

The bolts are used to secure a steel gas tank support arm to the frame
of a truck.

I need a source of supply I can order from here in the USA but I'm
having trouble finding this item.

Thread specs = 10 mm OD X 1.5 mm pitch
Length under head = Need at least 40 mm long but can cut down a longer
bolt if needed.
Head diameter = Approximately 20 mm OD, but can use a little larger if
needed.
Grade = Prefer a 10.9 class or whatever the strongest grade available
is.
The round spline shape or shoulder that is directly under the head has
an 11 mm OD.

I have tried local hardware and autoparts stores along with www.mcmaster.com.
I also looked through the www.auveco.com/ catalog but have not found
anything yet.

Does anyone have an idea of where I might find something like this ?

Thanks
John
Old September 18th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_23_]

John2005 wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am having trouble finding what I would call a carriage bolt, it
> looks just like a carriage bolt except that it has a spline round
> shape under the head instead of a square shape that is usually under
> the head of a carriage bolt. The round shoulder under the head is a
> fine spline that looks about 8 mm long.
>
> The bolts are used to secure a steel gas tank support arm to the frame
> of a truck.
>
> I need a source of supply I can order from here in the USA but I'm
> having trouble finding this item.
>
> Thread specs = 10 mm OD X 1.5 mm pitch
> Length under head = Need at least 40 mm long but can cut down a longer
> bolt if needed.
> Head diameter = Approximately 20 mm OD, but can use a little larger if
> needed.
> Grade = Prefer a 10.9 class or whatever the strongest grade available
> is.
> The round spline shape or shoulder that is directly under the head has
> an 11 mm OD.
>
> I have tried local hardware and autoparts stores along with www.mcmaster.com.
> I also looked through the www.auveco.com/ catalog but have not found
> anything yet.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of where I might find something like this ?
>
> Thanks
> John

I would call a nut and bolt store.
Houston has a few. I imagine more industrial cities have even more.
However, Houston is mostly without power so it may be hard to call here.
http://www.bayoucitybolt.com/index2.htm
Old September 18th 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

John2005 wrote:

I am looking for what I would call a carriage bolt, except that
it has a round spline under the head instead of a square shape
that is usually under the head of a carriage bolt. The round
shoulder under the head is a fine spline about 8 mm long.

The bolts secure a steel gas tank support arm to the frame of a truck.
Threads = 10 mm OD X 1.5 mm pitch
Length under head = At least 40 mm ; can cut down a longer bolt if needed.
Head diameter = Approx 20 mm, but can use a little larger if needed.
Grade = Prefer a 10.9 class or whatever is the strongest grade available.
The round spline shape under the head has an 11 mm OD.

I need a source of supply I can order from here in the USA. I tried local
hardware and autoparts stores along with www.mcmaster.com. I also
looked through the www.auveco.com/ catalog but have not found
anything yet. Does anyone have an idea of where I might find this?
__________________________________________________ __

Try those sources again, (along with Fastenal, which has acquired many
hardware firms) using different nomenclature.

What you are describing sounds like a shoulder stud or a lug nut stud.
They are made of high strength steel and the splines keep them from
turning after they are pounded into a close-fitting hole in steel. The
stud head diameter is typically about 20 per cent larger than the stud
body, not the 100 per cent you have in mind.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old September 18th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BuckerooBilly

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I am having trouble finding what I would call a carriage bolt, it
>looks just like a carriage bolt except that it has a spline round
>shape under the head instead of a square shape that is usually under
>the head of a carriage bolt. The round shoulder under the head is a
>fine spline that looks about 8 mm long.
>
>The bolts are used to secure a steel gas tank support arm to the frame
>of a truck.
>
>I need a source of supply I can order from here in the USA but I'm
>having trouble finding this item.
>
>Thread specs = 10 mm OD X 1.5 mm pitch
>Length under head = Need at least 40 mm long but can cut down a longer
>bolt if needed.
>Head diameter = Approximately 20 mm OD, but can use a little larger if
>needed.
>Grade = Prefer a 10.9 class or whatever the strongest grade available
>is.
>The round spline shape or shoulder that is directly under the head has
>an 11 mm OD.
>
>I have tried local hardware and autoparts stores along with www.mcmaster.com.
>I also looked through the www.auveco.com/ catalog but have not found
>anything yet.
>
>Does anyone have an idea of where I might find something like this ?
>
>Thanks
>John

Something like this (just the first picture showing two different
sizes)? Wheel studs seem to be what you're looking for:
http://tinyurl.com/3p2btb
Old September 18th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John2005

Thanks for your replies guys,

BuckerooBilly, yes, they look just like wheel studs (with a fine
spline) but with a standard round carriage bolt head.

It's not what they call a "ribbed neck" carriage bolt because the
spine is too course and long. The splines on these bolts are short and
fine just like on a wheel stud.

I will use the search terminology suggested by Rodan, if that does not
work I will probably just use a 7/16" OD grade 8 hex head bolt with a
washer under the head.

John
Old September 19th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
BuckerooBilly

>Thanks for your replies guys,
>
>BuckerooBilly, yes, they look just like wheel studs (with a fine
>spline) but with a standard round carriage bolt head.
>
>It's not what they call a "ribbed neck" carriage bolt because the
>spine is too course and long. The splines on these bolts are short and
>fine just like on a wheel stud.
>
>I will use the search terminology suggested by Rodan, if that does not
>work I will probably just use a 7/16" OD grade 8 hex head bolt with a
>washer under the head.
>
>John

Could be it's a fastener just made for your particular model and
function, and I don't really understand having a reason for a doomed
head, most splined lugs and exhaust manifold stud I've run into are
flat across the top. What model is it, and have you tried having a
dealer service parts department look around their graphics for it?

258 head bolts - source recommendation? [email protected] Jeep 4 August 14th 08 03:35 AM
3/3" drive wrenches for metric 12-point socket head bolts? Doug Warner Technology 15 June 2nd 06 12:23 AM
1999 Jeep Wrangler: are bolts/nuts metric or standard Frank 4x4 1 May 23rd 05 06:35 PM
Metric to English Ct Midnite BMW 19 May 6th 05 07:12 PM
Source for Odd Bolts Harry Potter Antique cars 0 October 13th 03 12:13 AM