(Subaru) Now, this is an interesting page...

Old February 2nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Default (Subaru) Now, this is an interesting page...

I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and
the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on
replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at
AutoZone:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the
engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this
sure makes the job look pretty easy!

Also, on the 2.2 motor, notice that the head bolts are not covered by the
valve covers! This is real interesting. However, i think for ease of
removing the heads, it would make more sense to remove the covers to gain
some additional room...

Looks like this might be easier than I expected...so why are people
charging $1000-1200?!?!?!

Old February 2nd 08, 09:19 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Tomes[_2_]

"Hachiroku ...
>I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and
> the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on
> replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at
> AutoZone:
>
> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
>
> It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the
> engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this
> sure makes the job look pretty easy!
>
> Also, on the 2.2 motor, notice that the head bolts are not covered by the
> valve covers! This is real interesting. However, i think for ease of
> removing the heads, it would make more sense to remove the covers to gain
> some additional room...
>
> Looks like this might be easier than I expected...so why are people
> charging $1000-1200?!?!?!

Because they can?

What really prompted me to hit the reply button was the BHG. What is a BHG?
(My mind is tell ing me big honker G-striing, but somehow I don't believe
that this is so...)
Tomes

Old February 2nd 08, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:19:15 -0500, Tomes wrote:

> "Hachiroku ...
>>I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and
>> the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on
>> replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at
>> AutoZone:
>>
>> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
>>
>> It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the
>> engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this
>> sure makes the job look pretty easy!
>>
>> Also, on the 2.2 motor, notice that the head bolts are not covered by
>> the valve covers! This is real interesting. However, i think for ease of
>> removing the heads, it would make more sense to remove the covers to
>> gain some additional room...
>>
>> Looks like this might be easier than I expected...so why are people
>> charging $1000-1200?!?!?!
>>

> Because they can?
>
> What really prompted me to hit the reply button was the BHG. What is a
> BHG? (My mind is tell ing me big honker G-striing, but somehow I don't
> believe that this is so...)
> Tomes

Du-u-u-u-u-de!

Big Hearted Girls!

er, Blown Head Gaskets...

Old February 3rd 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Tomes[_2_]

"Hachiroku ...
> Tomes wrote:
>> "Hachiroku ...
>>>I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and
>>> the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on
>>> replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at
>>> AutoZone:
>>>
>>> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
>>>
>>> It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the
>>> engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this
>>> sure makes the job look pretty easy!
>>>
>>> Also, on the 2.2 motor, notice that the head bolts are not covered by
>>> the valve covers! This is real interesting. However, i think for ease of
>>> removing the heads, it would make more sense to remove the covers to
>>> gain some additional room...
>>>
>>> Looks like this might be easier than I expected...so why are people
>>> charging $1000-1200?!?!?!
>>>

>> Because they can?
>>
>> What really prompted me to hit the reply button was the BHG. What is a
>> BHG? (My mind is tell ing me big honker G-striing, but somehow I don't
>> believe that this is so...)
>> Tomes

> Du-u-u-u-u-de!
>
> Big Hearted Girls!
>
> er, Blown Head Gaskets...

LOL yeah. I figured it out when I read the other threads. I have my reader
set so the most recent posts are at the top. I think I will try flipping
that around so I see first what I would have missed <grin>.
Tomes

Old February 3rd 08, 01:16 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
BuckerooBilly

>"Hachiroku ...
>>I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and
>> the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on
>> replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at
>> AutoZone:
>>
>> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
>>
>> It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the
>> engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this
>> sure makes the job look pretty easy!
>>
>> Also, on the 2.2 motor, notice that the head bolts are not covered by the
>> valve covers! This is real interesting. However, i think for ease of
>> removing the heads, it would make more sense to remove the covers to gain
>> some additional room...
>>
>> Looks like this might be easier than I expected...so why are people
>> charging $1000-1200?!?!?!
>>

>Because they can?
>
>What really prompted me to hit the reply button was the BHG. What is a BHG?
>(My mind is tell ing me big honker G-striing, but somehow I don't believe
>that this is so...)
>Tomes

B lown H ead G asket.
Old February 3rd 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

You should WebTVs ''reader'' or whatever it is called? It is incrediably
easy.In fact, everything pertaing to WebTV is easy and fool proof, goof
proof.The only times I use my little wireless keyboard is for
typng.Everything else, I use my little hand held remote.
cuhulin

Old February 3rd 08, 07:10 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Brian[_27_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and
> the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on
> replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at
> AutoZone:
>
> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
>
> It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the
> engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this
> sure makes the job look pretty easy!

My neighbor did gaskets on a 1.8 Subie wagon with the motor in. He took his
time and spent a week to work on it but it really didn't look all that bad.

~Brian

Old February 3rd 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and
> the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on
> replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at
> AutoZone:
>
> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
>
> It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the
> engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this
> sure makes the job look pretty easy!
>
> Also, on the 2.2 motor, notice that the head bolts are not covered by the
> valve covers! This is real interesting. However, i think for ease of
> removing the heads, it would make more sense to remove the covers to gain
> some additional room...
>
> Looks like this might be easier than I expected...so why are people
> charging $1000-1200?!?!?!

Right at the top of the page:
"On some models, engine compartment room is limited, so it may be
necessary to remove the engine to service the cylinder heads."

I have an 02 Legacy, and there's no way those heads are coming off
without the motor coming out (or a sawzall to the fenders.)

Ray
Old February 3rd 08, 04:43 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
StephenW

All head gaskets at work are done in-car; several tricks make it easier. BUT
they are done from the bottom. IF I were to do a head gasket at home (or a
clutch) I would pull the engine. That is not so hard as you would think. It
also lets you access the back and reseal the entire engine, something thats
good to do on subarus.

--
Steve
ASE Master Tech

Old February 3rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku[_2_]

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:43:32 +0000, StephenW wrote:

> All head gaskets at work are done in-car; several tricks make it easier. BUT
> they are done from the bottom. IF I were to do a head gasket at home (or a
> clutch) I would pull the engine. That is not so hard as you would think. It
> also lets you access the back and reseal the entire engine, something thats
> good to do on subarus.

Thanks, Steve!

Yeah...the reason I was quoted $1200 was because of the list the tech gave
me for things that should be done with the headgasket.

Um, however...one car is an '89 in OK shape, and the other is a '97 with
335,000 on the chassis! I'm not expecting these cars to do much over
50,000 miles more each.