Need Weight-Split For My Car!

Old June 20th 17, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Need Weight-Split For My Car!

I need the weight distribution for my
car but cannot find it ANYWHERE
on line, even at the manufacturers
website.

"60/40" or "55/45" are typical splits
for most front-wheel drives. This is
BASIC information, like what kind of
fuel the vehicle uses, and it's not
available anywhere for my specific
car.
Old June 21st 17, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Anyone??

I'm talking about the Front-Rear percentage
weight distribution.
Old June 21st 17, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Kevin Bottorff wrote: wrote in news:4951aeeb-048c-41ef-8aaa-

> I'm talking about the Front-Rear percentage
> weight distribution.

"there is nothing basic about that figure, almost no one needs that info. if
you need it take it to a scale and figger it out your self not rocket
science. KB "

________
Used to be in every automotive publication,
hard copy or online, and in dealer brochures.

Is useful for those who like to fine-tune
tire pressures for handling purposes, etc.
Suppose a car has a 60/40(Front/Rr)
weight distro. They might want to try putting
5psi extra in their front tires, or 2lbs psi less
in the rears and 2lbs more in the fronts.

That sort of thing. That's why I consider the
info basic - unlike needing to know the #
of turns steering lock to lock. Most drivers
don't have use for that detail.
Old June 21st 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 3:07:02 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I need the weight distribution for my
> car but cannot find it ANYWHERE
> on line, even at the manufacturers
> website.
>
> "60/40" or "55/45" are typical splits
> for most front-wheel drives. This is
> BASIC information, like what kind of
> fuel the vehicle uses, and it's not
> available anywhere for my specific
> car.

Just run the car with a couple of more pounds pressure in the front or follow the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure and you'll be fine. That's pretty much all you can do even if you do know the F/R ratios.

I suppose you could take impressions of the tire contact patch and figure out the ratios from that. You'll probably going to end up adding a couple of more pounds pressure in the front anyway so why bother?
Old June 22nd 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

wrote in
:

> Kevin Bottorff wrote: wrote in
>> I'm talking about the Front-Rear percentage
>> weight distribution.
>>

> "there is nothing basic about that figure, almost no one needs that
> info. if you need it take it to a scale and figger it out your self
> not rocket science. KB "
>
> ________
> Used to be in every automotive publication,
> hard copy or online, and in dealer brochures.
>
> Is useful for those who like to fine-tune
> tire pressures for handling purposes, etc.
> Suppose a car has a 60/40(Front/Rr)
> weight distro. They might want to try putting
> 5psi extra in their front tires, or 2lbs psi less
> in the rears and 2lbs more in the fronts.
>
> That sort of thing. That's why I consider the
> info basic - unlike needing to know the #
> of turns steering lock to lock. Most drivers
> don't have use for that detail.

the only time you would have seen that from the dealer is if it was a
sports car. the enthouast mags did it for braging rights only. there is
so much more going on in handleing than weight split it really is only
useful if you are going to the nats ass of handeling. much more can be
done with sway bars and suspension than split influnced tire pressures.
KB
Old June 23rd 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Kevin Bottorff wrote: wrote in news:4951aeeb-048c-41ef-8aaa-

>> I'm talking about the Front-Rear percentage
>> weight distribution.
>>

>"there is nothing basic about that figure, almost no one needs that info. if
>you need it take it to a scale and figger it out your self not rocket
>science. KB "
>
>________
>Used to be in every automotive publication,
>hard copy or online, and in dealer brochures.
>
>Is useful for those who like to fine-tune
>tire pressures for handling purposes, etc.
>Suppose a car has a 60/40(Front/Rr)
>weight distro. They might want to try putting
>5psi extra in their front tires, or 2lbs psi less
>in the rears and 2lbs more in the fronts.

So see what pressure recommended in the door sticker and work backwards
from that.

Or go to a scrap yard with a scale for weighing the pickup trucks and
tip the guy a couple bucks to tell you when your front wheels are 3 feet
onto the scale and after you drive forward, when your rear wheels are 3
feet from being off the scale.

Where I go, the guy doesn't get out of his chair to weigh trucks and he
can barely see if the car/truck is in the right place, but if I wwanted
to know what you do, I might talk him and another guy into helping me.
Be nice though. It's not part of their job. On, and the scale where I
go is only accurate to 50 pounds or something like that. If you
brought enough scrap that your car had to be weighed, that might get
them in the mood, but I like my first line above better.

Old June 24th 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 9:07:02 PM UTC+8, wrote:
> I need the weight distribution for my
> car but cannot find it ANYWHERE
> on line, even at the manufacturers
> website.
>
> "60/40" or "55/45" are typical splits
> for most front-wheel drives. This is
> BASIC information, like what kind of
> fuel the vehicle uses, and it's not
> available anywhere for my specific
> car.

You see it for RWD cars, they will proclaim 50-50 or 51-49.
Old June 24th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:00:03 -0400, micky
> wrote:

>Or go to a scrap yard with a scale for weighing the pickup trucks and
>tip the guy a couple bucks to tell you when your front wheels are 3 feet
>onto the scale and after you drive forward, when your rear wheels are 3
>feet from being off the scale.

Or better yet, half the distance from the front to the back wheels.

bus weight? D&LBusch VW air cooled 2 June 17th 07 01:30 AM
Car weight goodnigh Ford Mustang 9 March 15th 07 02:16 AM
Best weight of oil? Gary Mazda 15 March 28th 06 03:20 AM
How much weight can PT carry? TomKan Chrysler 10 August 16th 05 08:41 AM
E34 Weight Rob Munach BMW 1 November 16th 04 05:17 PM