Questions about choosing the right clutch kit from Marlin Crawler

Old November 14th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
harry newton

Default Questions about choosing the right clutch kit from Marlin Crawler

He who is Scott Dorsey said on 14 Nov 2017 10:14:44 -0500:

>> 1. What's the practical difference between a 900/1200 pound pressure plate?

> A stiffer feeling clutch. Probably no difference in life.

I hate when I don't understand simple things.

I just called Marlin Crawler at +1-559-252-7295 and spoke to Brendan, who,
shockingly, couldn't answer my question of what difference a 900 pound
stock pressure plate would make with respect to a 1200 pound clutch
pressure plate in actual driving.

Since an engine only develops around 300 foot pounds of torque, the
flywheel to clutch friction surface area has to take those 300 foot pounds,
so I asked him if he could measure the flywheel and clutch but he said he
couldn't (which is fair enough) since the web site doesn't say what the
diameters are.

When I asked Brendan why they even sell a 1200 pounder, he mentioned that
they have bigger tires than stock, which is fine - but Brendan couldn't
explain why that matters.

So, I really don't understand what 1200 pounds does for ANYONE.
Clearly my application doesn't need it (which all of you said).

But, what does 900-to-1200 pounds do for ANY application when the engine
can't develop more than 300 foot pounds of torque in the first place?
Old November 15th 17, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Phil Kangas[_2_]

"harry newton" > wrote in message
news
> He who is Scott Dorsey said on 14 Nov 2017 10:14:44 -0500:
>
>>> 1. What's the practical difference between a 900/1200
>>> pound pressure plate?

>> A stiffer feeling clutch. Probably no difference in
>> life.

> I hate when I don't understand simple things.
>
> I just called Marlin Crawler at +1-559-252-7295 and spoke
> to Brendan, who,
> shockingly, couldn't answer my question of what difference
> a 900 pound
> stock pressure plate would make with respect to a 1200
> pound clutch
> pressure plate in actual driving.
>
> Since an engine only develops around 300 foot pounds of
> torque, the
> flywheel to clutch friction surface area has to take those
> 300 foot pounds,
> so I asked him if he could measure the flywheel and clutch
> but he said he
> couldn't (which is fair enough) since the web site doesn't
> say what the
> diameters are.
>
> When I asked Brendan why they even sell a 1200 pounder, he
> mentioned that
> they have bigger tires than stock, which is fine - but
> Brendan couldn't
> explain why that matters.
>
> So, I really don't understand what 1200 pounds does for
> ANYONE.
> Clearly my application doesn't need it (which all of you
> said).
>
> But, what does 900-to-1200 pounds do for ANY application
> when the engine
> can't develop more than 300 foot pounds of torque in the
> first place?

The 300 foot pounds of torque is the rotational power of the
engine.
The 1200 pounds of the pressure plate is the clamping
pressure, not
rotational power. This increase in clamping pressure raises
the friction
slip point. They are not related.

Old November 15th 17, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Scott Dorsey

Phil Kangas > wrote:
>The 300 foot pounds of torque is the rotational power of the
>engine.
>The 1200 pounds of the pressure plate is the clamping
>pressure, not
>rotational power. This increase in clamping pressure raises
>the friction
>slip point. They are not related.

It not only raises the friction slip point, but narrows it as well. So if
you're racing and your goal is to pop the clutch as quickly as possible, and
you have the pedal depressed just barely past the friction point, the stiffer
clutch will make for a faster break off the line without riding it at idle.
--scott

Old November 15th 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Phil Kangas[_2_]

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
news
> Phil Kangas > wrote:
>>The 300 foot pounds of torque is the rotational power of
>>the
>>engine.
>>The 1200 pounds of the pressure plate is the clamping
>>pressure, not
>>rotational power. This increase in clamping pressure
>>raises
>>the friction
>>slip point. They are not related.

> It not only raises the friction slip point, but narrows it
> as well. So if
> you're racing and your goal is to pop the clutch as
> quickly as possible, and
> you have the pedal depressed just barely past the friction
> point, the stiffer
> clutch will make for a faster break off the line without
> riding it at idle.
> --scott

+1 :>)

Old November 15th 17, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
harry newton

He who is Phil Kangas said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:15:24 -0500:

>> It not only raises the friction slip point, but narrows it
>> as well. So if
>> you're racing and your goal is to pop the clutch as
>> quickly as possible, and
>> you have the pedal depressed just barely past the friction
>> point, the stiffer
>> clutch will make for a faster break off the line without
>> riding it at idle.
>> --scott

> +1 :>)

Can someone summarize, for me, what a 900 foot pound OEM pressure plate
versus a 1200 foot pound pressure plate means, in real terms, for a 2WD
road vehicle that is not used for towing or for racing?
Old November 15th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Terry Coombs[_2_]

On 11/15/2017 10:11 AM, harry newton wrote:
> He who is Phil Kangas said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:15:24 -0500:
>
>>> It not only raises the friction slip point, but narrows it as well.*
>>> So if
>>> you're racing and your goal is to pop the clutch as quickly as
>>> possible, and
>>> you have the pedal depressed just barely past the friction point,
>>> the stiffer
>>> clutch will make for a faster break off the line without riding it
>>> at idle.
>>> --scott

>> +1 :>)

> Can someone summarize, for me, what a 900 foot pound OEM pressure plate
> versus a 1200 foot pound pressure plate means, in real terms, for a 2WD
> road vehicle that is not used for towing or for racing?

* It means that your clutch will be slightly harder to push and hold .

* --

* Snag

Old November 15th 17, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Scott Dorsey

harry newton > wrote:
>He who is Phil Kangas said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:15:24 -0500:
>>> It not only raises the friction slip point, but narrows it
>>> as well. So if
>>> you're racing and your goal is to pop the clutch as
>>> quickly as possible, and
>>> you have the pedal depressed just barely past the friction
>>> point, the stiffer
>>> clutch will make for a faster break off the line without
>>> riding it at idle.

>> +1 :>)

>Can someone summarize, for me, what a 900 foot pound OEM pressure plate
>versus a 1200 foot pound pressure plate means, in real terms, for a 2WD
>road vehicle that is not used for towing or for racing?

A less sore leg.
--scott
Old November 15th 17, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
harry newton

He who is Terry Coombs said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 11:18:18 -0600:

> +AKA- It means that your clutch will be slightly harder to push and hold .

If that's all it means, in practical terms, then why do they sell it?
Is it just marketing (like high-octane fuel)?

Even high-octane fuel has a benefit for the cars that need it.
What's the expected benefit of a 1200 pound clutch over a 900 pound one?

That's all that Marlin Crawler sells, for example.
Old November 15th 17, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Scott Dorsey

harry newton > wrote:
>He who is Terry Coombs said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 11:18:18 -0600:
>
>> +AKA- It means that your clutch will be slightly harder to push and hold .

>If that's all it means, in practical terms, then why do they sell it?

Because a lot of people want to go fast, and half a second faster off the
line can mean the difference between first place and no prize at all.

>Is it just marketing (like high-octane fuel)?
>
>Even high-octane fuel has a benefit for the cars that need it.

It has a huge benefit because running 100LL lets you build engines with
way higher compression ratios than running street gasoline will. The
difference in horsepower is substantial.

>What's the expected benefit of a 1200 pound clutch over a 900 pound one?

As I said in a previous post, being faster off the line.

>That's all that Marlin Crawler sells, for example.

You want to race, you buy racing products. You want to tool around on
the streets, don't buy racing products.
--scott

Old November 16th 17, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder

On 15 Nov 2017 17:40:20 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>harry newton > wrote:
>>He who is Terry Coombs said on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 11:18:18 -0600:
>>
>>> +AKA- It means that your clutch will be slightly harder to push and hold .

>>If that's all it means, in practical terms, then why do they sell it?

>Because a lot of people want to go fast, and half a second faster off the
>line can mean the difference between first place and no prize at all.
>
>>Is it just marketing (like high-octane fuel)?
>>
>>Even high-octane fuel has a benefit for the cars that need it.

>It has a huge benefit because running 100LL lets you build engines with
>way higher compression ratios than running street gasoline will. The
>difference in horsepower is substantial.
>
>>What's the expected benefit of a 1200 pound clutch over a 900 pound one?

>As I said in a previous post, being faster off the line.
>
>>That's all that Marlin Crawler sells, for example.

>You want to race, you buy racing products. You want to tool around on
>the streets, don't buy racing products.
>--scott

The big question is why are you sourcing general purpose street
machine parts from a performance rock crawler company????? The parts
they sel lare aimed at the extreme offroad market - NOT general
purpose street machines. Buy an OEM part from your local dealer or
parts jobber like Napa or whoever. You do not need or want competition
parts - they are not necessarily better parts for your application,
and most likely worse.