This CAN'T be for real

Old June 14th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_45_]

Default This CAN'T be for real

Float from the Solex Brosol (Kadron)

http://http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg

Is it supposed to look like that? It does float.
Old June 14th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_45_]

John wrote:
> Float from the Solex Brosol (Kadron)
>
> http://http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg
>
> Is it supposed to look like that? It does float.

I could screw up a wet dream.
Use this one: http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg
Old June 14th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 03:23:38 +0200, John > wrote:

> John wrote:
>> Float from the Solex Brosol (Kadron)
>> http://http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg
>> Is it supposed to look like that? It does float.

> I could screw up a wet dream.
> Use this one: http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg

Nope, it is not supposed to look like that.
I do not know what caused it to "implode" like that.
Not sure if I remember the whole tread, but you had running problems with
one cylinder bank, yes?
If so, you have found the cause.
It would seriously disturb fuel level in the carb, making it run richer(I
think) than the other side.

J.

Old June 14th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jun 13, 7:23*pm, John > wrote:
> John wrote:
> > Float from the Solex Brosol (Kadron)

> >http://http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg

> > Is it supposed to look like that? It does float.

> I could screw up a wet dream.
> Use this one:http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg

Who took the hammer to it ?

Randy
Old June 14th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_45_]

P.J.Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 03:23:38 +0200, John > wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>> Float from the Solex Brosol (Kadron)
>>> http://http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg
>>> Is it supposed to look like that? It does float.

>> I could screw up a wet dream.
>> Use this one: http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg

> Nope, it is not supposed to look like that.
> I do not know what caused it to "implode" like that.
> Not sure if I remember the whole tread, but you had running problems
> with one cylinder bank, yes?
> If so, you have found the cause.
> It would seriously disturb fuel level in the carb, making it run
> richer(I think) than the other side.

You were right all the time. I finally got time to remove the carb, as
if it was a big deal (one minute job). It was pretty messed up. Someone
had used gorilla snot on the gas spigot and there were little rubber
balls in the filter. Plus the nuts holding the carb to the manifold were
almost finger-tight and the gasket there was swollen loose with pieces
in the small vacuum holes at the bottom of the carb. I purged the carb,
blew out the passages. One was choked up.

I ordered a couple rebuild kits from John at aircooled.net

Thanks for all the help. How the float got that way is a mystery. Maybe
the PO put it in his back pocket. Wait! Where was Mario that day?

Old June 14th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_45_]

wrote:
> On Jun 13, 7:23 pm, John > wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>> Float from the Solex Brosol (Kadron)

http://http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg
>>> Is it supposed to look like that? It does float.

>> I could screw up a wet dream.
>> Use this one:http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg

> Who took the hammer to it ?

I blame Mario. Why not?
Old June 14th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jun 13, 8:30*pm, John > wrote:

> > Who took the hammer to it ?

> I blame Mario. Why not?

Oh, the bondo fell off it then.

Randy

Old June 14th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Banned

The first Harley Davidson engine used part of a tomato can for the
float.
cuhulin

Old June 16th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

John wrote:
> P.J.Berg wrote:

>>> I could screw up a wet dream.
>>> Use this one: http://www.digoliardi.net/float.jpg

>> Nope, it is not supposed to look like that.
>> I do not know what caused it to "implode" like that.
>> Not sure if I remember the whole tread, but you had running problems
>> with one cylinder bank, yes?
>> If so, you have found the cause.
>> It would seriously disturb fuel level in the carb, making it run
>> richer(I think) than the other side.

> You were right all the time. I finally got time to remove the carb, as
> if it was a big deal (one minute job). It was pretty messed up. Someone
> had used gorilla snot on the gas spigot and there were little rubber
> balls in the filter. Plus the nuts holding the carb to the manifold were
> almost finger-tight and the gasket there was swollen loose with pieces
> in the small vacuum holes at the bottom of the carb. I purged the carb,
> blew out the passages. One was choked up.
>
> I ordered a couple rebuild kits from John at aircooled.net
>
> Thanks for all the help. How the float got that way is a mystery.

I have seen it before on brass floats, just cant seem to remember
where/when..

There is a logical explanation to it. It involves a small leak and temp.
difference , yes?

I hope others can chime in, cause I do not seem to be able to recollect
at the moment.

A wild theory: Stored outside during winter with water in one carb.. (I
know that is not it).

The last one I saw like yours where from a carb used on an old inboard
boat engine.

J.