JD Powers Survey

Old July 1st 05, 05:02 PM

Ya right. Do you expect anyone to believe he got one of the 2%
rather than the 98% every time. Get real

mike hunt

Old July 1st 05, 05:05 PM

In that survey GM and Ford had the number one vehicle, in the
opinion of their owners, in more classes than did Toyota.

mike hunt

Old July 1st 05, 06:01 PM
Dan J.S.

> wrote in message
> Ya right. Do you expect anyone to believe he got one of the 2%
> rather than the 98% every time. Get real
>

> mike hunt

Mike

There are reasons why GM keeps losing money. It starts with quality. Yes,
they are getting better, but markets are best at throwing away bad apples.
GM is practically giving away their cars just to keep the inventory moving.
This is not a good sign.

Dan

Old July 1st 05, 06:52 PM

GMs problem is primarily a PR problem and the survey backs that
up. What they were doing ten to five years ago is hurting them
today. They need only convince todays buyers, of what we in the
industry already know, that the vehicle they and Ford are
building TODAY are among the finest available on the market
TODAY. Many are the best in class, like the mid size Buick,
Cadillac full size sedan, the small chevy truck and GM and Ford
large trucks and the Ford mid size van for example. GMs and
Fords vehicles are much less expensive to drive home as well. By
getting more of them on the road, that fact will become
apparent.

New vehicle buyers in the US replace their vehicle with another
new vehicle in three to four years. The majority of those that
roam the NG are USED vehicle buyer, not NEW vehicle buyer, their
opinion of the used vehicle they bought does not mean a hill of
beans to todays new vehicle buyers, in any event.

mike hunt

Old July 2nd 05, 03:27 AM
Learning Richard

ping 204.186.170.224
PING 204.186.170.224 (204.186.170.224) from 192.168.1.100 : 56(84)
bytes of data.
64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=1 ttl=117 time=249 ms
64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=2 ttl=117 time=235 ms
64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=3 ttl=117 time=310 ms
64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=4 ttl=117 time=423 ms
64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=5 ttl=117 time=1065 ms

--- 204.186.170.224 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 5 received, 16% loss, time 5013ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 235.345/457.040/1065.519/311.384 ms, pipe 2

Old July 2nd 05, 04:30 AM
Ray O

"Art" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

<snipped>
> His sister owned that 2 seater plastic space frame car they made a decade
> or so ago. I forget what it was called. I remember asking him how she
> liked it. He said it was a good car.... except for the engine fire.
> LOL. He was still buying GM after that.

Pontiac Fiero
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Old July 2nd 05, 05:33 AM
Art

2 words that will explain it: Low expectations.

Old July 2nd 05, 05:38 AM
Art

Mike,

When you try to open the hood on my father's 2004 Saturn, the handle feels
like it is ready to break off. The rear seats are incredibly low and
uncomfortable. The handling is incredibly bad. It is a 6 but drives like a
4 until you fill it with gas. It uses gas like a big 6. The rear window
switches look like the front door lock switches. Overall a piece of crap.

Old July 2nd 05, 05:38 AM
Art

"Ray O" > wrote in message
rvers.com...

> "Art" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>>

> <snipped>
>> His sister owned that 2 seater plastic space frame car they made a decade
>> or so ago. I forget what it was called. I remember asking him how she
>> liked it. He said it was a good car.... except for the engine fire. LOL.
>> He was still buying GM after that.
>>

> Pontiac Fiero
> --

Thanks..... a great car..... except for the engine fire. And that is a
quote.

Old July 5th 05, 06:39 PM
Huw

> wrote in message
> The just goes to show how closely cars are rated today for build
> quality by their owners. The best has a rate 1.39 defects per
> car and the worst 3.97 and the average of only 2.37. If one
> subscribes to J D Powers service they would see the failures are
> mostly minor in nature, such as squeaks and rattles
>
> Looks much different when presented as a list than if shown, as
> it should be, as a percentage of failures. The best as just over
> 98% trouble free, the average just under 98% trouble free, and
> the worst as just under 97% trouble free. That is what we see
> in our business, as well.
>
> All manufactures are building good vehicles today that will
> easily run to 200K, trouble free, if given the proper preventive
> maintenance. The only real difference among them is style and
> price. Your chance of getting a good one are basically 8 out of
> 9. The change of getting one not up to snuff is minor 1% to 2%
> since they all have a failure rate of at least 1%, that is why
> they all offer a warranty.
>
> Why some will spend 20% or 30% more to buy a comparable vehicle,
> of a certain brand over another, just in the hope that the ONE
> they get is not one of the 1% to 2%, always seemed like extremely
> poor gambling odds to me

That's the way I see it too. I did not consider it much of a gamble to buy a
new Range Rover and I have been rewarded by the most reliable vehicle over
the first eight months that I have ever owned. In fact it is way ahead of my
Toyota Land Cruiser over the same period which had a [difficult to sort]
wheel alignment problem and needed a new fog lamp and drivers seatbelt in
the same timeframe.

Huw