96 Jetta P0501 code

Old September 17th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zatatime

Default 96 Jetta P0501 code

Hello,

I just purchased a 1996 Jetta GLS that is throwing a P0501 (Vehicle
Sensor A - Range/Performace) code.

It starts cold perfectly and runs for a while without problems. After
it warms up, it will stall at idle, or low rpm if not under load.
After it stalls I need to wait anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours for
it to start up again (I think this is dependant on outside temps and
how quickly it cools down.). When it starts it does so like nothing
is wrong.

The car seemed well maintained when I bought it. Fairly new VW coil,
new distributor and Hall sender, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires,
etc....

When I looked up the code I saw to check the Hall sender and Vehicle
sensors. Since the Hall sender was fairly new, I assumed it was the
vehicle sensors. I replaced both of them but the problem still
exists.

I don't know if this is enough info to make a diagnosis on, but if
anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate feedback. If you want
additional info, just ask and I'll do what I can to answer you.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old September 18th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

Default 96 Jetta GLS P0501 code

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tec....dtc.table.htm
P0501 = Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance

I think you forgot the 'Speed' in your code, or that tool did. :-)

The ECM must not be getting information about how fast the vehicle is
moving, or not moving.
If you had the ross-tech.com tool you might get a little more information as
to what is wrong and have the ability to test components. This means less
you have to spend on parts you might not need! ;-)
BTW there might be 2 speed sensors on the transmission.

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/

Old September 18th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zatatime

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot the "speed" in the error description. The tool had it right.

I don't have the Vag-Com or Bentley book at this point. The Bentley
book is on order, and I'm still going back and forth on the Vag-Com
since I don't have a laptop. I totally understand what you mean about
buying extra parts! Trying to do the best I can without them at this
point since I need the car. I do have access to All-Data, but I doubt
that's as good as the Bentley books.

I did find both VSS's and replaced them. When this didn't work I
posted my question since the Hall sensor and distributor were replaced
recently (not the cap, the actual distributor housing). In searching
the web I found P0501 has the VW equivalent of 16885. It seems for
that error only the cam and "crank" sensors could be the culprit. I
think the "crank" sensors are the VSS's on the trans as you noted and
both were replaced. Since both parts are new (Hall and VSS), I'm at a
loss at how to proceed.

Thanks again for your reply.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 01:17:28 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tec....dtc.table.htm
>P0501 = Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance
>
>I think you forgot the 'Speed' in your code, or that tool did. :-)
>
>The ECM must not be getting information about how fast the vehicle is
>moving, or not moving.
>If you had the ross-tech.com tool you might get a little more information as
>to what is wrong and have the ability to test components. This means less
>you have to spend on parts you might not need! ;-)
>BTW there might be 2 speed sensors on the transmission.
>
>JMHO
>later,
>dave
>(One out of many daves)
>http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/

.. .

Old September 21st 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

check the wiring with a digital Volt Ohm Meter
I had a broken wire going to my VSS on my '91 Passat auto trans.

"zatatime" > wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I forgot the "speed" in the error description. The tool had it right.
>
> I don't have the Vag-Com or Bentley book at this point. The Bentley
> book is on order, and I'm still going back and forth on the Vag-Com
> since I don't have a laptop. I totally understand what you mean about
> buying extra parts! Trying to do the best I can without them at this
> point since I need the car. I do have access to All-Data, but I doubt
> that's as good as the Bentley books.
>
> I did find both VSS's and replaced them. When this didn't work I
> posted my question since the Hall sensor and distributor were replaced
> recently (not the cap, the actual distributor housing). In searching
> the web I found P0501 has the VW equivalent of 16885. It seems for
> that error only the cam and "crank" sensors could be the culprit. I
> think the "crank" sensors are the VSS's on the trans as you noted and
> both were replaced. Since both parts are new (Hall and VSS), I'm at a
> loss at how to proceed.
>
> Thanks again for your reply.
>

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 01:17:28 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tec....dtc.table.htm
>>P0501 = Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance
>>
>>I think you forgot the 'Speed' in your code, or that tool did. :-)
>>
>>The ECM must not be getting information about how fast the vehicle is
>>moving, or not moving.
>>If you had the ross-tech.com tool you might get a little more information
>>as
>>to what is wrong and have the ability to test components. This means less
>>you have to spend on parts you might not need! ;-)
>>BTW there might be 2 speed sensors on the transmission.
>>
>>JMHO
>>later,
>>dave
>>(One out of many daves)
>>http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/

. ..

Old September 23rd 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zatatime

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:28:02 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>check the wiring with a digital Volt Ohm Meter
>I had a broken wire going to my VSS on my '91 Passat auto trans.

Thanks for your reply. I've started that daunting task by going
through the fuse panel pretty well, and then to the alarm. Since I
have a parts car that doesn't have anything like this wrong with it,
I'm doing some swapping out at the same time. I think I need to wait
for my Bentley book before I'll be able to trace it all the way
through, unless someone can describe how to check that back to the box
without too much trouble.