97 ZJ w/ATC - Blower Motor Resistor "Break in"

Old June 6th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jamest

Default 97 ZJ w/ATC - Blower Motor Resistor "Break in"

Just a few days ago.
I had a burning smell when my ac would kick in-- check the blower
resistor and saw the connector was discolored and smelled. So I
changed the resistor and things seem fine other than sometime i still
get a whiff of something "electrical".

Could this be the resistor "breaking in"? I have only driven the truck
up to the corner store all week. I thought i might cruise for an hour
and work the ATC a bit and see if it goes away.

Also, is it possible, for a blower motor relay degrade to a point
where it would burn?

The ATC is working correctly,
There is no odor on the new connector or discoloration on the new
resistor.

The blower motor was changed in 2004.

thx,
james
Old June 6th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

jamest wrote:
> Just a few days ago.
> I had a burning smell when my ac would kick in-- check the blower
> resistor and saw the connector was discolored and smelled. So I
> changed the resistor and things seem fine other than sometime i still
> get a whiff of something "electrical".
>
> Could this be the resistor "breaking in"? I have only driven the truck
> up to the corner store all week. I thought i might cruise for an hour
> and work the ATC a bit and see if it goes away.

Since the pack heats up under normal use, yes, it will smell "electrical"
for a while.

> Also, is it possible, for a blower motor relay degrade to a point
> where it would burn?

Not usually. Relays stick, but generally they are rated for way over
the load they are used for. The coil can go bye-bye, but it's such a
thin wire it breaks like a fuse.

> The ATC is working correctly,
> There is no odor on the new connector or discoloration on the new
> resistor.

Roll down a window?

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old June 6th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I would suspect you have a connection going bad causing that wire to
heat up. I would be carefully checking the socket that was hot for
discolored parts inside and for any heat when being used.

Once these push on brass sockets have discolored from heat, the temper
or spring goes out of them and they can continue to fail until the
pigtail part is replaced. The pigtail part is just the socket with 3 or
4" of wire on it. You can sometimes get these at places like NAPA or
autozone, the 'help' brand carries pigtails. Other than that, the
individual brass sockets can be removed from the plastic plug by
inserting a mini screwdriver down the back side pushing in a little clip
so they slide out. Or a wrecker would have a 'pigtail' part to cut out
of a dead Jeep.

I have also heard of the next connection upstream of the resistor pack
going bad.

I have also seen the connection under the hood that plugs into the motor
itself go bad, that happened on our Cherokee. This bad motor connection
also smoked out our switch and resistor pack. It smoked out the switch
on New years Day, on a bush run 25 miles from a phone at -30 or so.
Nothing like bailing out into a snow bank with smoke just a pouring out
looking for the fire extinguisher buried under all the gear.

That one was a real pain to figure out. All new components including
the motor and it still acted up until I found the dead plug when I was
jumper testing the new motor to see why it quit.

On a lot of occasions, the blower motor is just wearing out which causes
a high draw on the circuit which can and does kill that resistor pack
connection. You got about 6 or 7 years out of an OEM blower, was the
replacement an OEM or aftermarket unit? No real matter, maybe it is
worn again.

Oh, if you can smell the new resistor pack, it isn't long for this
world, it is trying to let the magic smoke out again.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com