VW Golf Door locks keep freezing, best lubricant?

Old December 16th 04, 04:08 AM
Greg

Default VW Golf Door locks keep freezing, best lubricant?

A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
'96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

Thanks!

Old December 16th 04, 05:09 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

I like to spray Dura Lube Advanced All Purpose Lubricant Protector in the
lock and handle areas.
http://shop.duralube.com/cgi-bin/800...t%20Protectant

I live in Chicago and it seems to work fine in the vehicles that I have used
it on. ;-)
Oh and BTW it seems to last too!
One bad thing is that I can't seem to find it anymore in the usual local
places. :-(

JMHO.
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old December 16th 04, 05:09 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Old December 16th 04, 07:44 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Greg wrote:

>A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
>'96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
>heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
>recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
>and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

I like to squirt in ethylene glycol antifreeze. If you have a
syringe, fine. Otherwise you can use a basketball inflation needle,
a plastic bag, and a rubber band to insert antifreeze. I think it
washes out the water, and makes any residual/new water not freeze.

Wipe off what drips out, of course.

This is a timely thread. Gotta do mine too.

Old December 16th 04, 07:44 AM
Tom's VR6

Old December 16th 04, 01:14 PM
Joseph Meehan

Greg wrote:
> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on
> her '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks?
> I've heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody
> also recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular
> oils and grease because they can attract dirt over time.
>
> Thanks!

A long time ago my father, the locksmith, taught me that you don't use
any oil based materials in locks. Locks work best when clean and dry. Oils
just help hold dirt and dry to a sticky mess. The only material he ever
used was graphite and that has always worked for me.

The issue of freezing is not related to lubrication. Cold can thicken
up the oils that may have been used in the locks and cause them to
malfunction, but freezing is water related. In over 40 years of driving cars
in the Ohio snow belt, I have never had one "freeze." Actually I have never
had a car long malfunction in all those years and I have always followed my
father's advice.

I suggest that most people who have freeze problems are really oil based
cold problems and need to clean the locks with a good zero-residue cleaner.
The rest have a special problem likely do to the design of the lock. For
those I would recommend on the the special products designed just for that
and consider a spring cleaning with a zero-residue solvent followed by a
graphite lube.

BTW WD-40 is an oil product with light weight oils that will, in time,
leave the same sticky oil mess in a lock as other oils. It will displace
water, reducing the freezing problem, but it then just adds it's own
problems.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 16th 04, 01:14 PM
Joseph Meehan

Old December 16th 04, 03:14 PM
Leroy Mowry

"Greg" > wrote in message ...
> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
> '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
> heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
> recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
> and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

Don't these locks have small flipping doors? Maybe they're not
closed tight? Then put in foam insulator around the locks called
"Great Stuff."

Old December 16th 04, 03:14 PM
Leroy Mowry

Old December 16th 04, 03:48 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, "Leroy Mowry" > wrote:

>"Greg" > wrote in message ...
>> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
>> '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
>> heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
>> recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
>> and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

>Don't these locks have small flipping doors? Maybe they're not
>closed tight? Then put in foam insulator around the locks called
>"Great Stuff."

That's not funny.

A2 Golf - cheapest Euro lights? Nate Nagel VW water cooled 12 December 10th 04 03:13 AM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM