VW Golf Door locks keep freezing, best lubricant?

Old December 16th 04, 02:48 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, "Leroy Mowry" > wrote:

>"Greg" > wrote in message ...
>> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
>> '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
>> heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
>> recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
>> and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

>Don't these locks have small flipping doors? Maybe they're not
>closed tight? Then put in foam insulator around the locks called
>"Great Stuff."

That's not funny.

Old December 16th 04, 03:55 PM
Joseph Meehan

TeGGer® wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" > floridly penned in
> :
>
>> Greg wrote:
>>> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on
>>> her '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks?
>>> I've heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite.
>>> Somebody also recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from
>>> using regular oils and grease because they can attract dirt over
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> A long time ago my father, the locksmith, taught me that you
>> don't use
>> any oil based materials in locks. Locks work best when clean and
>> dry. Oils just help hold dirt and dry to a sticky mess. The only
>> material he ever used was graphite and that has always worked for me.

> Graphite is great if you live in an area without snow. It is death on
> locks if your area does have snow. Not a good idea for an automotive
> lock.

I have used graphite in 7 cars over 40 years. I live in the snow belt
(Ohio) and I have never had a lock freeze up. I did have the front bonnet
freeze shut on my Sunbeam Imp. The gas was under it so I had to chip the
ice away all the way around the bonnet to free it up.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 16th 04, 03:55 PM
Joseph Meehan

Old December 16th 04, 03:57 PM
Joseph Meehan

Leroy Mowry wrote:
> "Greg" > wrote in message
>> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on
>> her '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks?
>> I've heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite.
>> Somebody also recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from
>> using regular oils and grease because they can attract dirt over
>> time.

> Don't these locks have small flipping doors? Maybe they're not
> closed tight? Then put in foam insulator around the locks called
> "Great Stuff."

Maybe Leroy thought this would be funny, but if someone was to follow
this advice it could turn real un-funny. Don't use any spray insulation.
It will not help and can do damage.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 16th 04, 03:57 PM
Joseph Meehan

Old December 16th 04, 04:00 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, TeGGer® wrote:

>Freeze problems are due to water entering the lock and freezing. Water can
>enter for several reasons: Condensation, snow pushed in through the weather
>flap by the key, or a weather flap that is open due to a broken spring.

Also, when you use your key in rain, it is difficult to keep it dry
as you insert it.

>Rust Check or Krown, the very best there is.

Interesting products, but I don't think I would put that into my
locks. I wonder what the corresponding products are called in the
US.

But then the ethylene glycol has been good for me. I tried both the
methyl and isopropyl forms of "Heet", but they did not do it for me.
I think the ethylene glycol residue helps where Heet would
evaporate.

Old December 16th 04, 04:00 PM
Tom's VR6

Old December 16th 04, 05:02 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Greg wrote:

> A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
> '96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
> heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
> recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
> and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

You're getting all kinds of dumb advice (engine antifreeze, insulating
foam, Dura-Lube oil, etc.). The correct fix is indeed spray silicone
lube. The CRC brand ("Heavy Duty Silicone") in the red and white can is a
good kind. The can comes with a straw; push it into the spray head, then
put the other end into the door lock (past the little flap door) and give
a few quick spray bursts, moving the straw to spray up, down, and straight
ahead. Then insert and remove the key several times to distribute the
silicone on the lock's tumblers, and operate the lock in both directions a
few times. Repeat for all body locks (doors, hatchback). Then, open the
doors and hatch and spray the silicone evenly onto the rubber door
weatherstrips so that the doors don't freeze shut. The silicone's carrier
will evaporate, leaving the weatherstrips non-greasy but frostproof.

Then, as long as you've got the can out, you can shoot the gas door
hinges, the latches and hinges for the hood, doors and hatch, the rear
wiper pivot, the sliding/turning dashboard and steering column controls,
the antenna...

DS
Old December 16th 04, 05:02 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 16th 04, 06:35 PM
ray

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Greg wrote:
>

>>A friend is having a lot of trouble with her door locks freezing on her
>>'96 VW Golf. What is the best lubricant to use on these locks? I've
>>heard good and bad things about silicone and graphite. Somebody also
>>recommended lithium grease. I've been warned from using regular oils
>>and grease because they can attract dirt over time.

> You're getting all kinds of dumb advice (engine antifreeze, insulating
> foam, Dura-Lube oil, etc.). The correct fix is indeed spray silicone
> lube. The CRC brand ("Heavy Duty Silicone") in the red and white can is a
> good kind. The can comes with a straw; push it into the spray head, then
> put the other end into the door lock (past the little flap door) and give
> a few quick spray bursts, moving the straw to spray up, down, and straight
> ahead. Then insert and remove the key several times to distribute the
> silicone on the lock's tumblers, and operate the lock in both directions a
> few times. Repeat for all body locks (doors, hatchback). Then, open the
> doors and hatch and spray the silicone evenly onto the rubber door
> weatherstrips so that the doors don't freeze shut. The silicone's carrier
> will evaporate, leaving the weatherstrips non-greasy but frostproof.
>
> Then, as long as you've got the can out, you can shoot the gas door
> hinges, the latches and hinges for the hood, doors and hatch, the rear
> wiper pivot, the sliding/turning dashboard and steering column controls,
> the antenna...
>
> DS

One other possibility - the mechanism in the door is
rusted/frozen/jammed. The lock itself may be fine, but the linkage
itself gummed up. If spray lube doesn't appear to be working, you may
need to pop the door panel and lube the linkages in there.

A2 Golf - cheapest Euro lights? Nate Nagel VW water cooled 12 December 10th 04 02:13 AM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM