2000 passat turbo needs timing belt.

Old November 28th 08, 03:19 AM posted to alt.autos.makers.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw
skidflap

Default 2000 passat turbo needs timing belt.

hello my daughter in laws car need a timing belt and waterpump.
it has 95 k on it and has been maintained well.
heres the details 2000 passat gls sedan. 18t engine.
was built in 4/20/2000 so hopefully it has the better tensioner setup than
the earlier models.
i just started checking the records online for this car and am finding
horror storys.
can anyone point me to an online manual or place to see any particular
procedures when replacing the t belt water pump.
i am an experianced mechanic and done t belts etc in other cars, motorcycles
,boats.
thanks in advance for any help on this car and advice from owners besides
the word sell it before it dies!!!!!
she loves dieter {yes the car is named}.
TIA matt

Old November 28th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
TBerk

On Nov 27, 7:19*pm, "skidflap" > wrote:
> hello my daughter in laws car need a timing belt and waterpump.
> it has 95 k on it and has been maintained well.
> heres the details 2000 passat gls sedan. 18t engine.
> was built in 4/20/2000 so hopefully it has the better tensioner setup than
> the earlier models.
> i just started checking the records online for this car and am finding
> horror storys.
> can anyone point me to an online manual or place to see any particular
> procedures when replacing the t belt water pump.
> i am an experianced mechanic and done t belts etc in other cars, motorcycles
> ,boats.
> thanks in advance for any help on this car and advice from owners besides
> the word sell it before it dies!!!!!
> she loves dieter {yes the car is named}.
> TIA matt

I've been poking around Autozone's web site lately for a roommate's
Mazda MX-6 but really my recommendation would be getting yourself a
Bentley manual;

http://www.rb.com.

GL,
TBerk
Old November 28th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Andrew Eckhardt

Here are two excellent procedure writeups:

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/timingbelt/
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=167704

Old November 28th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
skidflap

"Andrew Eckhardt" > wrote in message
> Here are two excellent procedure writeups:
>
> http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/timingbelt/
> http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=167704
>

> TBerk wrote:
>> On Nov 27, 7:19 pm, "skidflap" > wrote:
>>
>>>hello my daughter in laws car need a timing belt and waterpump.
>>>it has 95 k on it and has been maintained well.
>>>heres the details 2000 passat gls sedan. 18t engine.
>>>was built in 4/20/2000 so hopefully it has the better tensioner setup
>>>than
>>>the earlier models.
>>>i just started checking the records online for this car and am finding
>>>horror storys.
>>>can anyone point me to an online manual or place to see any particular
>>>procedures when replacing the t belt water pump.
>>>i am an experianced mechanic and done t belts etc in other cars,
>>>motorcycles
>>>,boats.
>>>thanks in advance for any help on this car and advice from owners besides
>>>the word sell it before it dies!!!!!
>>>she loves dieter {yes the car is named}.
>>>TIA matt

>> I've been poking around Autozone's web site lately for a roommate's
>> Mazda MX-6 but really my recommendation would be getting yourself a
>> Bentley manual;
>>
>> http://www.rb.com.
>>
>> GL,
>> TBerk

i think this internet thing might take off. boy that write up is XATLY what
i needed.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
dieter might like it to.
now haveing done this operation on other cars it seems kinda complecated is
that german engineering or am i just simple?
my ford escortalade was easy. pull the bumper off OMG!
thanks for the advise and i will be putting the water pump in dieter while
im there :}
Matt

Old November 29th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Andrew Eckhardt

Clearly that 2000 Passat was built for more space in the interior at the
expense of the mechanic.

It looks overwhelming to do the timing belt, and it takes awhile, but it
is straightforward. I have done my own 2000 Passat with guidance from
those writeups and a Haynes manual.

It is worth replacing all belts, idlers, tensioners, water pump, and
thermostat while you are in there.

Old November 29th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

You can do it then! ;-)
You probably only need the pictures from those write-ups since they will
probably have better pictures and easier to follow instructions than Bentley
or Haynes.

Buy good quality parts and I think that the 2000 Passat engine already has
the better tensioner and belt if it has the AUG engine. Not sure if it is
the ATW engine so you will need to make sure you have the correct parts
before starting this job and update the parts if possible like I did with my
AEB engine.

You can either put the radiator in the "Service Position" which means you
use some long bolts to allow it to slide forward some.
OR you can completely remove it so you have the front of the engine wide
open. You will have a lot of room then!
Depends if you wish to remove the automatic transmission cooler lines from
the radiator or not. ;-)

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old December 1st 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
skidflap

"dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> Buy good quality parts and I think that the 2000 Passat engine already has
> the better tensioner and belt if it has the AUG engine. Not sure if it is
> the ATW engine so you will need to make sure you have the correct parts
> before starting this job and update the parts if possible like I did with
> my AEB engine.

how do i tell what engine it is??
whats the diff?

Old December 2nd 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Andrew Eckhardt

At the front of the block next to the top timing belt cover. It is
stamped there. AUG or AYW or AEB etc.

Looking at it from the front it is to the right of the cover.

Old December 2nd 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Look at these pictures of a cylinder head so you can see where and what
yours might look like:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/933442043.html

I think that the AEB engine was dropped in late 1999, but I am not totally
sure on this.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old December 3rd 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Andrew Eckhardt

Here are some other pix:

Head >>>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerofile/...inecodetab.jpg
Block >>>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerofile/...ecodeblock.jpg