F1 comes to iRacing

Old January 17th 10, 08:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

Default F1 comes to iRacing

http://www.inracingnews.com/formula-...williams-fw31/

Finally a proper F1 sim after all these years!

Old January 17th 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Richard[_15_]

Ummm, dude, it's just the 2009 Williams. Now if they had all the cars
from the whole 2009 season, then it would be a proper F1 sim. Now, of
course, they would also need the tracks used in 2009 for it to be
really proper.
Old January 17th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ruud van Gaal

Byron Forbes wrote:
> http://www.inracingnews.com/formula-...williams-fw31/
>

> Finally a proper F1 sim after all these years!

Not that anyone who has a somewhat realistic F1 model will see too many
happy people driving it. Like everything else, being on the cutting edge
of cars means you have to have serious skill to be any good with it.
I've seen very few.

Old January 18th 10, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(Ruud van Gaal) wrote:

> Like everything else, being on the cutting edge of cars
> means you have to have serious skill to be any good with
> it. I've seen very few.

The iRacing Dallara isn't very popular on iRacing (so far, perhaps due to the A/B+
requirement, perhaps due to the race lengths, or the need to buy even more content)
but it is very easy to drive with the right setup. Mind you, I was five or six
seconds off the pace in the races I joined this season, which may explain why it
was so easy for me to stay on the track. I didn't enjoy getting lapped much, but I
did enjoy the fact that even the longest of tracks became fun to drive... and
gaining a few points from the fast guys who fell off. :-)

The Top Gear/Richard Hammond segment where he tried to drive an F1 car was pretty
interesting. Despite his experience in many fast cars he struggled a lot with the
shift up to insane levels of acceleration and grip. But then he also had the whole
danger/fear thing to cope with... and perhaps the threat of being beaten senseless
if he wrecked it. It's a lot easier to find the limits when you have an infinite
supply of cars to break.

Personally the iRacing F1 announcement left me cold. iRacing already has more than
enough tracks & vehicles to keep any serious racer happy for several lifetimes. I
don't subscribe to the view which says 'cheerleading' content is what's stopping
people joining. The slow move towards greater flexibility, and lower pricing, is
what's helped boost numbers so far. Still, it can't do any harm.

I'm more interested in the thought that Spa might (pure guesswork) get released at
the same time. Apart from The Ring it's the only track I really miss from other
sims.

Darn... now I managed to remind myself how much I'd like to experience The Ring
with iRacing's Skip Barber. I'll have to fire up Shift now to scratch the itch.

Andrew McP

Old January 18th 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"dude, it's just the 2009 Williams" - LOL. Have a think about that
statement!

Fact is, there will be this one car, modeled to a degree like no other F1
car before it and you will be able to run it on the ever growing list of
great tracks available at iRacing instead of being confined to many of the
donkey tracks that make up the F1 show these days.

But that might not be for everyone.

Do you know of a more proper F1 sim getting around atm? I know of not one
proper, decent modern F1 sim in the history of publically available racing
simulators.

The fellow that looks after the Williams simulator is on the forums
conversing with members right now and has commented about how excited he is
to get all the data into the iRacing version.

g.com...

Old January 18th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote in
:

(Ruud van Gaal) wrote:

>> Like everything else, being on the cutting edge of cars
>> means you have to have serious skill to be any good with
>> it. I've seen very few.

> The iRacing Dallara isn't very popular on iRacing (so far, perhaps due
> to the A/B+ requirement, perhaps due to the race lengths, or the need
> to buy even more content) but it is very easy to drive with the right
> setup. Mind you, I was five or six seconds off the pace in the races I
> joined this season, which may explain why it was so easy for me to
> stay on the track. I didn't enjoy getting lapped much, but I did enjoy
> the fact that even the longest of tracks became fun to drive... and
> gaining a few points from the fast guys who fell off. :-)
>
> The Top Gear/Richard Hammond segment where he tried to drive an F1 car
> was pretty interesting. Despite his experience in many fast cars he
> struggled a lot with the shift up to insane levels of acceleration and
> grip. But then he also had the whole danger/fear thing to cope with...
> and perhaps the threat of being beaten senseless if he wrecked it.
> It's a lot easier to find the limits when you have an infinite supply
> of cars to break.

And it *was* a car in the year when they reached their peak HP -
normally aspirated (2005). Personally, I would have ignored the neck bit
myself. So you see the track on a tilt and end up with a wider head due
to the bruises on both sides. Who cares, you're in a bleeding F1 car!

> Personally the iRacing F1 announcement left me cold. iRacing already
> has more than enough tracks & vehicles to keep any serious racer happy
> for several lifetimes. I don't subscribe to the view which says
> 'cheerleading' content is what's stopping people joining. The slow
> move towards greater flexibility, and lower pricing, is what's helped
> boost numbers so far. Still, it can't do any harm.

I get the same out of GPL for free. Just less cars.

> I'm more interested in the thought that Spa might (pure guesswork) get
> released at the same time. Apart from The Ring it's the only track I
> really miss from other sims.

The A1 ring isn't a bad track. A bit short however.

Old January 19th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> The fellow that looks after the Williams simulator is on the forums
conversing with members right now and has commented about how excited he is
to get all the data into the iRacing version.

Doesn't the Williams simulator use rFactor Pro?

http://www.rfactor-pro.com

Old January 19th 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"rcgldr" > wrote in message
>> The fellow that looks after the Williams simulator is on the forums

> conversing with members right now and has commented about how excited he
> is
> to get all the data into the iRacing version.
>
> Doesn't the Williams simulator use rFactor Pro?
>
> http://www.rfactor-pro.com

Oh well, there you go - no wonder he's so excited to get the data into
iRacing! LOL