Where has everyone gone?

Old April 26th 10, 08:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

Default Where has everyone gone?

Hi,
rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled used to be quite an active group.
Where has the discussion moved to? When I search for alternative
groups for watercooled VWs, I find mostly very narrow groups that, for
instance discuss modifications, or discuss just one model of VW,
rather than the more general discussions of VWs overall. The other
possibility is people in general are not doing their own maintenance
and repairs on cars and so discussion is dropping off.

So curious where the discussion, if any, has moved to.

cheers
-Tony
Old April 26th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I spend most of my on-line car time at TDI Club for diesels.
Lots of activity there.
Old April 28th 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

"> Anyone wanna buy a 1979 cream puff Rabbit with 1.8JH/5speed from 83 GTI??
> Perfect car, not butchered. Pics available on photobucket.

Actually, if business was better and I had the money for it that would be a
done deal.

Yeah, that's what I thought....

Old April 29th 10, 12:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
In2hoppn[_2_]

"LG" > wrote in message

> "> Anyone wanna buy a 1979 cream puff Rabbit with 1.8JH/5speed from 83
> GTI??
>> Perfect car, not butchered. Pics available on photobucket.
>>

> Actually, if business was better and I had the money for it that would be
> a done deal.

Yup. Either people got no money, or their holding on to what they got (like
me : ) ), or perhaps the bigger thing overall is that all the crazy credit
dried up!
Pics are here, if this works... don't know if you have to be logged on or
what to see them...
http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=b31933ba.pbw

Old April 30th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:58:10 -0400, "In2hoppn" >
wrote:

>"LG" > wrote in message
>>
>> "> Anyone wanna buy a 1979 cream puff Rabbit with 1.8JH/5speed from 83
>> GTI??
>>> Perfect car, not butchered. Pics available on photobucket.
>>>

>> Actually, if business was better and I had the money for it that would be
>> a done deal.

>Yup. Either people got no money, or their holding on to what they got (like
>me : ) ), or perhaps the bigger thing overall is that all the crazy credit
>dried up!
>Pics are here, if this works... don't know if you have to be logged on or
>what to see them...
>http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=b31933ba.pbw

Looks nice. I have already done the 1980 and 1984
Rabbits. Not looking to do that again. 1984 was kind of fun as it was
a GTI. I added a 2.0 to it.
Old April 30th 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
In2hoppn[_2_]

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:58:10 -0400, "In2hoppn" >
> wrote:
>

>>"LG" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "> Anyone wanna buy a 1979 cream puff Rabbit with 1.8JH/5speed from 83
>>> GTI??
>>>>
>>> Actually, if business was better and I had the money for it that would
>>> be
>>> a done deal.

>>Yup. Either people got no money, or their holding on to what they got
>>(like
>>me : ) ), or perhaps the bigger thing overall is that all the crazy credit
>>dried up!
>>Pics are here, if this works... don't know if you have to be logged on or
>>what to see them...
>>http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=b31933ba.pbw
>>

> Looks nice. I have already done the 1980 and 1984
> Rabbits. Not looking to do that again. 1984 was kind of fun as it was
> a GTI. I added a 2.0 to it.

Hey Jim!
Were you around way back when... LOL... I think I was going by the name
"formerly Jeff" as I recall from back then another Jeff started posting
stuff I wanted no association with and was forced to change my name!
Oh we had some FUN FLAMING going on in those days... like a total addiction!
I started out with an 82 carburetor Rabbit with Lambda, which Bentley never
covered and everyone told me I didn't even have an O2 sensor... LOL. I was
running that old Rabbit to go pick up my brand new computer (386 with
windows 3.1 that cost me 3 times what I paid for car), learned how to surf
the net and found this forum in search of carb and Lambda info. Ha! That
car would run great 90% of the time but on a rainy day (and usuallly when
the wife had it so she got to go lease a brand new Corolla... in 1993...) it
would run really rough, not idle, stall, outright die, not start... then
suddenly be fine. She'd come home complaining, and I'd go drive it and it
would be perfect. I even resorted to getting salty water out of a roadside
puddle in my spray bottle and soak everything (after having taken a garden
hose to it) and it would still be fine. But if you were away from home and
it was rainy or damp, foggy,... it would act up. When I finally learned
that it did have an ecm, and the carburetor had a frequency valve that
worked just opposite from the CIS frequency valve, I fiddled with the system
long enough to finally determine there was a bad wire right where it entered
the carburetor. And, it was rain and moisture that would help it to make
the connection. And when it (or I, finally) would make that connection the
frequency valve would operate and it would die and not idle or start easily.
So I found the ECM under the dash, unplugged it and the car ran perfect ever
since. Very powerful for 1.7 and really ran great for another 150K. Was
still running strong when it finally went to the junk yard for rust. Thus
began the Bad Rabbit Habit. I had learned CIS inside out, just trying to
apply it to that old carb system. Had numerous 82's, an 84 GTI (rusted
floors and clutch started slipping), 83 GTI that was so dented everywhere I
could see ever fixing it, became the donor for the 79... more convertibles
than I care to remember... I spent stupid money getting the 79 painted. No
value cause it's a 4 door, even though it is so much nicer interior then
they ever put in any GTI's. It doesn't buzz and rattle like all other
Rabbit's I've ever met : ).

Since the pictures were taken, the 79 broke a front coil spring. I had a
pair of truck springs so I put those it in. It raised the front about an
inch and a half or so. I made spacers to slide over the rear shocks,
raising the spring perches to match and did a 4 wheel alignment. Just the
opposite of current day "slamming" LOL. But I got great clearance for back
road and mild off-roading. Can't sell it for much, so I'm going to make a
skid plate for under the oil pan and off-road it in the mountains. Don't
know what's available for 13" mud tires... : )

anyway, none of these newsgroups are what they used to be!

Old May 1st 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

Yes this group was fun and active back in the day. I bet I was
visiting this group 15 years ago.

After I wrecked my '80 I found a stripped GTI in the junkyard. Hood,
seats, oil seals, brakes, paint, later engine, higher 5th, stereo
...... Yes fixing up an older car can be a dangerous money pit.
Although a new car can be a pit too.

I took my my 1967 Beetle up and around Hahns Peak in Colorado. Of
course that engine is a bit less prone to crud damaging it. I could
take that car many places.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:22:38 -0400, "In2hoppn" >
wrote:

.. .

Old May 1st 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
In2hoppn[_2_]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
So THAT'S where everyone has gone!