replacing 98 caravan brakes

Old December 19th 04, 06:49 AM
Steve

Default replacing 98 caravan brakes

i just replaced the front pads on my dodge caravan and everything went
according to the factory manual but after driving the van the brakes are
burning!

I took everything apart to inspect it and everything checks out.

The brakes are really hot and smell burnt after a 5km drive.

is there any special thing/technique I need to follow with dodge brakes?
I've worked on all kinds of brakes but my van's brakes are the first time
I've smelt burnt brakes....

i need help fast....

Thanks

Old December 19th 04, 10:09 AM
Sam Steele

Check for sticking calipers, sticking sliders, or your calipers are shot.
There is a reason for that binding, usually its something preventing the
floating of the pads/caliper assembly.

Old December 19th 04, 10:09 AM
Sam Steele

Old December 19th 04, 11:27 AM
jdoe

Did you put new Rotors on? If so there is an oil that will burn off as
calipers do allow for slight pad contact even when released. This is to give
a better pedal "feel" and to help shed water.
Larry

Old December 19th 04, 11:27 AM
jdoe

Old December 19th 04, 02:31 PM
Richard

"jdoe" > wrote in message
> Did you put new Rotors on? If so there is an oil that will burn off as
> calipers do allow for slight pad contact even when released. This is to
> give a better pedal "feel" and to help shed water.
> Larry
> "Steve" > wrote in message
>>i just replaced the front pads on my dodge caravan and everything went
>> according to the factory manual but after driving the van the brakes are
>> burning!
>>
>> I took everything apart to inspect it and everything checks out.
>>
>> The brakes are really hot and smell burnt after a 5km drive.
>>

>> is there any special thing/technique I need to follow with dodge brakes?
>> I've worked on all kinds of brakes but my van's brakes are the first time
>> I've smelt burnt brakes....
>>
>> i need help fast....
>>
>> Thanks

Clean and lube the caliper pins!!!

Richard.

Old December 19th 04, 02:31 PM
Richard

Old December 19th 04, 06:25 PM
Dantanna

I had that happen on my Acura when I forgot to really seat the pads into
their proper position. One pad was crooked and it actually rubbed agaist
the rotor while driving! Luckily I fixed it before messing up the rotor.
Hope this helps-

Old December 19th 04, 08:48 PM
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:

> how I do I lube the slider pins if they're sealed with rubber boots?

The pins slide all the way out of the boots. The ends of the boots
detent into grooves on either end of each pin, so be careful removing
the pins so you don't tear the boots (the boots and the rubber bushing
that surround the pin are actualy one continuous piece of rubber that
fit in the hole through the caliper - caliper metal surrounds the rubber
bushing, rubber bushing surrounds the pin - pin slides back-and-forth in
the bushing).

Use a good quality silicone brake grease to coat the pins and the inside
of the boots/bushings, then re-insert the pins. Make sure the ends of
the boots pop back into place in the pin grooves. Wipe off any excess
grease on the outside of the boots. Before re-attaching the caliper. If
any boots are torn, replace them - very easy and inexpensive - NAPA has
them.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')