92 YJ, Do I have a Timing Chain Tensoner?

Old June 27th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
brianc

Default 92 YJ, Do I have a Timing Chain Tensoner?

1992 YJ I6 4.0 165k miles.

The clacky clack rattle at idle is driving me nuts. If this year
motor has the tensoner I'll pay the labor to have it done. I've read
enough to know what a pain in the ass it will be to get to those two
bolts. If not, it should be about a 6-pack job right? (ok, maybe
10).

To bad there aren't parts to make it a direct gear only system.
Chains always stretch and the whine from the gears would be so unique
sounding on an I6 Jeep.

Thanks,
Brian

Old June 27th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_8_]

Have you checked the Mopar Performance catalog? I don't have one here, but
I kind of remember a gear drive system. Pricey though, if I am remembering
right. There are roller rockers and mechanical adjusters too.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

oups.com...

Old June 27th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

No, you don't have a tensioner. Other than the hassle of removing the
radiator as well as everything on the front of the engine, it's not too
bad a job. If it is sloppy enough to make serious noise, you probably
have other issues.

Old June 27th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

RoyJ wrote:
> No, you don't have a tensioner. Other than the hassle of removing the
> radiator as well as everything on the front of the engine, it's not
> too bad a job. If it is sloppy enough to make serious noise, you
> probably have other issues.

The chain is good for over 200,000 miles. Most folks don't keep
a Jeep through two chains. Depending on the space you have
the hardest part is removing the harmonic balancer and pressing
it back in. (don't use a hammer it screws up the bearings) Use
the correct tool. http://revbeergoggles.com/hb/

The rest like RoyJ says is just engine bits. Might think about
the water pump while your there, just make sure you get the correct
rotation. Not a bad time to also replace the idler pulleys or even
the radiator if it's getting plugged. It's not like your not already
up to your elbows anyway.

Since it's clicking you need to carefully inspect the guard for wear.
You don't need the chain carving a hole.

Old June 28th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:16:51 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>The chain is good for over 200,000 miles. Most folks don't keep
>a Jeep through two chains.

The life of the chain depends a lot on how you drive it and maintain
it too. If you slack off on oil changes it will shorten life a got bit
and also if you are one to wind it out in everygear all the time.
Chains seem to last loanger in sticks than automatics and this is
likely because of the constant sudden RPM changes in engine with a
automatic shifting which stresses chain when it is arresting camshaft
momentum on a upshift. (especailly WOT) With sticks this tends to be
more gradual.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old June 28th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

I agree completely with looking at the parts that are off: water pump,
hoses, radiator, belt, fan clutch, maybe even the alternator. But you
sure can go through $$$$ if you do!!!

Might as well put in a plug for your local radiator repair shop: mine
charges $60 to disasemble a copper radiator, rod out the cores,
resassemble, test, and paint it black for best heat radiation. Same deal
on the heater core is about $35. Make sure you go to the radiator shop
directly, don't let your local parts place take a cut to haul it to the
REAL place, takes several extra days. If my place is not too busy, I get
it back the same day.

timing chain papote7878 Honda 3 February 9th 07 07:52 PM
timing chain punxyguy Saturn 7 April 27th 06 03:28 AM
timing chain robbo Ford Explorer 8 June 11th 05 10:35 PM
Saturn SL1 1998 - Timing chain or Timing belt ? CD Saturn 1 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM
Saturn SL1 1998 - Timing Chain or Timing Belt? CD Saturn 0 November 3rd 04 12:35 AM