Rear disk caliper question

Old September 10th 04, 01:34 AM
HAKSAW

Default Rear disk caliper question

Hello,

I have a 94 Saturn SC2 with rear disk breaks, I need to change the pads on
them, when I pulled the caliper off I tried to push the piston back in and
it would not move, I then tried with a clamp and it still would not move.
Yes the emergancy break was off. but that did get me thinking that maybe
because of the emergancy break that maybe there was something I am missing.
on rear drums there is the adjuster that automaticaly ajusts itself as the
pads wear and needs to be adjusted when you replace the break shoes, so my
question is is this the same with rear disk's or is the piston just siezed
and I have to replace it?

thank you
Brent

Old September 10th 04, 02:32 AM
Jeremiah

you need to turn the piston in.I think there are grooves in the piston, you
can use a pair of pliers or go and buy the tool to do it. if you have to
open the bleeder screw. but the piston isn't supposed to be just pushed in.
if you can't get it to go in with the bleeder screw out, then you may have
to rebuild or replace the caliper, because it has locked up on you.
Have you noticed a decrease in gas milage, noises coming from the rear, is
there more wear on the pads from the caliper in question then from the other
side?

hope that helps
Jeremiah

Old September 10th 04, 04:15 AM
HAKSAW

thanks,,

"Blah Blah" > wrote in message
> Its internet jargon for "If I Remember/Recall Correctly".
>
> In article <0X70d.292754$UTP.227005
> @twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...
> > Thank you, I had a feeling this might be the case.. this might be a dumb
> > question but what is IIRC?
> >
> > thank you for the help
> > Brent
> >

> > "Blah Blah" > wrote in message
> > > In article m>,

says...

pads
> > on

in
> > and

> > move.

maybe

> > missing.

as
> > the

so
> > my

> > siezed

> > > Dont go clamping on it you might damage it. You need to pull the

brakes

Old September 15th 04, 05:42 PM
Oppie

Sounds like the VW Passat I tried to do the rear brakes on once. Needed a
special tool that compresses the piston while screwing it in. Just turning
the piston without exerting about 50 pounds on it does nothing.
An older Golf rear brake pistons could just be turned without pressing on
them.

Old September 17th 04, 12:47 AM
Philip Nasadowski

Man, you guys would love the brakes on my Harley. The front is a PM 6
piston caliper.

Pull out a cotter pin, pull out a retaining pin, the retainer plate pops
out, then pull the old pads, and push in all 6 pistons with a
screwdriver, then drop the new pads in, stick the plate and pins back,
then test.

The rear's stock - undo two bolts, lift off the caliper, pull the pads,
swap, and squish the piston back in, then put the caliper back.

Why on earth do they have to make saturn ABS pistons screw in/out?
Grrrrr....
Old September 17th 04, 01:59 AM
Kevin M. Keller

Philip Nasadowski > typed until their fingers
bled, and came up with:

> Why on earth do they have to make saturn ABS pistons screw in/out?
> Grrrrr....

parking brake.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com