Bay Window starting problems (need help as I'm new to all this) Fuel? Ignition?

Old January 4th 05, 10:02 AM
monkey boy

Default Bay Window starting problems (need help as I'm new to all this) Fuel? Ignition?

Hi

Just bought a Bay window, had it for about 3 weeks now and it just
wont start. It started no problems before, however it would often
sputter a bit when you hit the gas, before delivering the power. I
thought it was just an ignition/misfiring issue. I am thinking that
if it was a misfiring issue then it should at least start/fire up
before cutting out.

However now it just refuses to start. The starter motor seems fine,
however nothing happens!

My thoughts are now that it is a fuel problem rather than anything
else, because the inline fuel filter is empty. Should this have some
petrol in?

If so then I am guessing a line is blocked or the fuel pump has
decided to crap out.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Happy new Year

Mike
Old January 4th 05, 03:34 PM
Speedy Jim

monkey boy wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just bought a Bay window, had it for about 3 weeks now and it just
> wont start. It started no problems before, however it would often
> sputter a bit when you hit the gas, before delivering the power. I
> thought it was just an ignition/misfiring issue. I am thinking that
> if it was a misfiring issue then it should at least start/fire up
> before cutting out.
>
> However now it just refuses to start. The starter motor seems fine,
> however nothing happens!
>
> My thoughts are now that it is a fuel problem rather than anything
> else, because the inline fuel filter is empty. Should this have some
> petrol in?
>
> If so then I am guessing a line is blocked or the fuel pump has
> decided to crap out.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully appreciated.
>
> Happy new Year
>
> Mike

Bay window Buses used a variety of engines. I'm guessing you are in
UK where the variations were different than US. Let us know the year
and which engine/carb (FI?) you have.

Meantime, see the article: "Why won't my engine start?"
on my web site.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old January 4th 05, 09:41 PM
tricky

Hi, take the air filter off of intake ducting if its type4 put a
teaspoon or so of petrol in the carb (left one for a type4 )
If its a fuel prob youve got it will use the fuel and fire a couple of
times.

Rich