Question: Regarding wheel offset and WTB: 1995 Jetta III steel wheel

Old October 20th 04, 09:43 PM
Timothy J. Richter

Default Question: Regarding wheel offset and WTB: 1995 Jetta III steel wheel

Hello-
My wife has a bent front rim on her 1995 Jetta III. She has the 14"
steel wheels and
as I call around to salvage yards, they ask me: "Does it have a 43mm or 45mm
offset?"
Now I have a digital caliper and can measure 43/45mm, but I am not sure
where to
take the measurement.... Any help???

Additionally, if someone has upgraded to nice alloy/chrome rims and has a
spare steel wheel sitting around that they know fits a '95 Jetta III, please
contact me at
thanks

Tim Richter

Old October 21st 04, 12:25 AM
Nate Nagel

Timothy J. Richter wrote:

> Hello-
> My wife has a bent front rim on her 1995 Jetta III. She has the 14"
> steel wheels and
> as I call around to salvage yards, they ask me: "Does it have a 43mm or 45mm
> offset?"
> Now I have a digital caliper and can measure 43/45mm, but I am not sure
> where to
> take the measurement.... Any help???
>
> Additionally, if someone has upgraded to nice alloy/chrome rims and has a
> spare steel wheel sitting around that they know fits a '95 Jetta III, please
> contact me at
> thanks
>
> Tim Richter

Just pull one off and see what it's stamped on the backside i.e. "ET43"
or "ET45"

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 21st 04, 02:01 AM
Randolph

Check if it is stamped on the rim as Nate suggested. Otherwise you can
get two straight edges, place one across a good rim on the inside, one
on the outside. They should both rest against the metal of the rim, not
the tire. Then measure the distance between the two straight edges. This
will be the total rim width. Divide by two and write down.

Then with a straight edge across the rim on the inside, measure the
distance between the straight edge and the surface of the rim that mates
with the rotor / hub. The offset is the difference between this last
measurement and half the rim width.

Old March 9th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.autos.makers.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw
JustANGR

Randolph wrote:
> Check if it is stamped on the rim as Nate suggested. Otherwise you can
> get two straight edges, place one across a good rim on the inside, one
> on the outside. They should both rest against the metal of the rim, not
> the tire. Then measure the distance between the two straight edges. This
> will be the total rim width. Divide by two and write down.
>
> Then with a straight edge across the rim on the inside, measure the
> distance between the straight edge and the surface of the rim that mates
> with the rotor / hub. The offset is the difference between this last
> measurement and half the rim width.
>

> "Timothy J. Richter" wrote:
>> Hello-
>> My wife has a bent front rim on her 1995 Jetta III. She has the 14"
>> steel wheels and
>> as I call around to salvage yards, they ask me: "Does it have a 43mm or 45mm
>> offset?"
>> Now I have a digital caliper and can measure 43/45mm, but I am not sure
>> where to
>> take the measurement.... Any help???
>>
>> Additionally, if someone has upgraded to nice alloy/chrome rims and has a
>> spare steel wheel sitting around that they know fits a '95 Jetta III, please
>> contact me at
>> thanks
>>
>> Tim Richter

Yeah but honestly 3mm is not going to make a difference on one of these
cars I would just get whatever ones they have preferably the 43's (more
room) but we're talking about 3 pennies width of difference.
Old March 10th 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.autos.makers.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.vw
dave AKA vwdoc1

Tell them you have both and ask which one do they have!
Some yards ask questions like that and then have neither! grrrr.

. ..