STARTING PROBLEMS WITH EARLY BMW'S SPECIFICALLY 735IL

Old October 13th 04, 09:09 AM
Hans Van Der Heyden

Default STARTING PROBLEMS WITH EARLY BMW'S SPECIFICALLY 735IL

I have noticed a number of complaints about BMW starting problems.
I am one of these victims with my 1992 735il I was annoyed to the point of
willing to spend money to find out why.....

problem was hard to start in the morning, lots of cranking, no start, when
it did start, no acceleration under load for 4 to 10 seconds, then vroom off
we went. Generally worked beautifully till you let it cool down a little
an hour or so) the problem returned.

Off to the bmw dealer had it for a week, no joy. mumbled something about
fuel delivery problems and fuel line pressure leakage...

Next to the local BMW guru for 2 weeks ,who dispelled the belief about fuel,
and decided it was a crank angle sensor, replaced with a second hand one
(mistake but we are on the track) still no joy.....

Then to a well recommended BMW Guru who thought is was a computer problem
and all sundry attachment, replaced all had it 2 weeks , still no good.....

In desperation and total mindless fury talked to Ray next door, an old Bosch
man recently retired (all borsch electrics in one of these things you know)
Talked to the technical manager, who recommended an old german guy who was a
bosch dealer and a car mechanic.
He had all the diagnostic gear could find no running faults on the computer,
but fount the 2nd hand crank angle sender and the harmonic balancer with
which it apparently reacts to be faulty .

new sensor (ex Germany) and new harmonic balancer, no more problems. This
cost about $1080.00 Australian and all up with the aborted attempts about
$2500.00 Australian.

Hope this tale helps others.... found BMW to be very friendly but very
useless