Which cost more to maintain?? early model C4 Corvette or early model Dodge Stealth?

Old September 1st 04, 03:41 AM
Orc General

Default Which cost more to maintain?? early model C4 Corvette or early model Dodge Stealth?

Does anyone have a comparative cost of owning an early model C4 versus an
early model Dodge Stealth.
By this I mean 1985/86 C4 versus 1992/93 Stealth. I seem to like them
both, and have been debating
which one to go for. I figure you save on gas with the Stealth (V6) but its
probably more expensive to maintain
than the C4 as far as available parts are concerned. It seems to me the
Stealth is a rarer car than the C4 as far as
the number of car running out there is concerned.

Old September 1st 04, 06:19 AM
Raymond Prince

I doubt you will save on gas. The c4's with 4+3 overdrive transmissions get
around 22-25mpg's.

news

Old September 1st 04, 06:19 AM
Raymond Prince

Old September 1st 04, 06:44 AM
Joel Jacobs

"Orc General" > wrote in message
news
> Does anyone have a comparative cost of owning an early model C4 versus an
> early model Dodge Stealth.
> By this I mean 1985/86 C4 versus 1992/93 Stealth. I seem to like them
> both, and have been debating
> which one to go for. I figure you save on gas with the Stealth (V6) but
> its
> probably more expensive to maintain
> than the C4 as far as available parts are concerned. It seems to me the
> Stealth is a rarer car than the C4 as far as
> the number of car running out there is concerned.

Does performance count for anything? If so, go with the Corvette. I have
had several opportunities to impress upon Stealths the importance of not
attempting to run with the big dogs. On one occasion it dawned on me, just
as I was about to run over the top of Mr. Stealth, that he was topped out
while I still had 30, or so, mph remaining. A braking maneuver was applied
and disaster averted.

A few years back I had the opportunity from a Chevrolet dealer friend of
mine to drive a Stealth he had taken in on trade. The car was a cream puff
and ran strong, but didn't handle nearly as well as the Corvette, nor would
it run through a test track as quickly as would the Corvette. What I found
most disconcerting was the car felt flimsy while under torque and pressure.
The cars are "kinda cute" but who wants cute when you can have great looks
and sterling performance? Buy the Vette.

Just my ? worth.

Joel Jacobs
Old Guy

Old September 1st 04, 06:44 AM
Joel Jacobs

Old September 1st 04, 06:57 PM
Bob G.

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:41:39 GMT, "Orc General"
> wrote:

>Does anyone have a comparative cost of owning an early model C4 versus an
>early model Dodge Stealth.
>By this I mean 1985/86 C4 versus 1992/93 Stealth. I seem to like them
>both, and have been debating
>which one to go for. I figure you save on gas with the Stealth (V6) but its
>probably more expensive to maintain
>than the C4 as far as available parts are concerned. It seems to me the
>Stealth is a rarer car than the C4 as far as
>the number of car running out there is concerned.

I really do not know BUT I would suggest buying the one you like the
best and saying the hell with maintance costs....

Enjoying a car is what it is all about the money spent enjoying the
car is honestly not a factor (within reason that is..)

I can tell you that I spent the weekend at Carlisle ...and Corvette
parts were all over the place...as far as the stealth being rarer is
most likely caused by the general public lack of interest in the car
itself..

I have owned a 95 Corvette for the last 6 years and never had to
replace anything except the normal tires, brake pads, oil filters
etc... What Maintance..? Seriously I have spent almost nothing on it
but do go over it very carefully every spring and fall...as I do all
my cars.

Bob Griffiths
68 SS 396 Chevelle
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
(2001 Dakota is my daily driver))
Old September 1st 04, 06:57 PM
Bob G.

Old September 1st 04, 11:54 PM
Mike

In >, Bob G. > writes:
>On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:41:39 GMT, "Orc General"
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a comparative cost of owning an early model C4 versus an
>>early model Dodge Stealth.
>>By this I mean 1985/86 C4 versus 1992/93 Stealth. I seem to like them
>>both, and have been debating
>>which one to go for. I figure you save on gas with the Stealth (V6) but its
>>probably more expensive to maintain
>>than the C4 as far as available parts are concerned. It seems to me the
>>Stealth is a rarer car than the C4 as far as
>>the number of car running out there is concerned.
>>

>I really do not know BUT I would suggest buying the one you like the
>best and saying the hell with maintance costs....
>
>Enjoying a car is what it is all about the money spent enjoying the
>car is honestly not a factor (within reason that is..)
>
>I can tell you that I spent the weekend at Carlisle ...and Corvette
>parts were all over the place...as far as the stealth being rarer is
>most likely caused by the general public lack of interest in the car
>itself..
>
> I have owned a 95 Corvette for the last 6 years and never had to
>replace anything except the normal tires, brake pads, oil filters
>etc... What Maintance..? Seriously I have spent almost nothing on it
>but do go over it very carefully every spring and fall...as I do all
>my cars.
>
>Bob Griffiths
>68 SS 396 Chevelle
>64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
>(2001 Dakota is my daily driver))

I spent a week with a Mitsubishi that the Stealth was derived
from. Compared to early C4, it's fewer cubes, lower torque, more
rpm, quieter over the road. Cooler cockpit in the summer. Don't
remember what the mpg was but it took about the same $$ to make
it to Vegas as would a 6-spd C4 (or 4+3). Stiffer frame and a bit
more nimble into the turn than the early C4s. Better on switchbacks
and hairpins than a C4, not as good as a C5.

The Mitsubishi had a lot of sophisticated stuff that will be hard to
replace or repair as the car ages. Stealth had a bit less of that
'featuritis' so might be keep going longer--that said, there are still
plenty of these cars on the road (in SoCal) so folks have kept them
going.

Regards, "Mike"
-- mikeellison3xxxatzzzyahoo.com --

Old September 1st 04, 11:54 PM
Mike

Old September 2nd 04, 01:06 AM
DJRICK99

I think the vette is might be more expensive.. not sure but I would still buy
the vette.. also consider cost of insurance..
-=Rick
www.RickAnthonyMotorsports.com